Lunesta (Eszopiclone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Lunesta (Eszopiclone) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 19 ratings/reviews, Lunesta has an overall score of 5.74. The effectiveness score is 7.16 and the side effect score is 7.16. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Lunesta review by 60 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   3mg taken nightly for the period of 0ne year - ongoing

Benefits:   Lunesta allowed me to have a restful nights sleep, every night, even sleeping through "hot flashes." In combination with cutting out tv at least one hour before bed, a hot bath, and occassionally meditiation - I had a sound sleep and awoke rested and revived.
Side effects:   I did not have the much talked about "bad taste" in my mouth. I did have a "hung over" feeling but not often, and the feeling went away within 5 minutes of waking.
Comments:   The treatment worked for me: I enjoyed a good nights sleep and awoke rested and revived. Any side effects were minimal and infrequent. I have tried many other medications over the years and this one is the most satisfactory.

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken once for the period of once
Other conditions:   menopause
Other drugs taken:   estradiol

Benefits:   Help me sleep 6 hours
Side effects:   I drive for a living and I have more difficulty concentrating on my driving. I was more forgetful. I decided to discontinue lunesta because of the amnesia like side effects that interferes with my driving job. Good quality sleep should not make me feel like this. I use 25mg trazodone instead because it's safer for next day driving.
Comments:   My care provider said to use lunesta three times week at bedtime. I only used it once because of the side effect described above. Also I was only able to get 6 hours of sleep instead of the eight that lunesta promoted in their advertisement.

Lunesta review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomnia
Dosage & duration:   2mg tablets taken a few days a month for the period of about a year
Other conditions:   pmdd
Other drugs taken:   ibuprofen

Benefits:   I usually slept through the night and did not experience drowsiness the next day.
Side effects:   I had a bad taste in my mouth in the morning. This was mildly irritating and much better than not sleeping. It didn't put me off the meds.
Comments:   The only problem I have with the medication is that it is expensive--about $5.oo per pil--and that it doesn't always work. It doesn't always help with jet lag, for instance, and there are other times when I lose half the night anyway, usually in connection with PMDD. It works about 80% of the time.

Lunesta review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Minor Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   2 mg taken weekly for the period of Several Months

Benefits:   Improved ability to fall asleep
Side effects:   Metallic taste within 1/2 hour of taking med
Comments:   Take 2 mg as needed for difficulty falling asleep

Lunesta review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia/difficulty sleeping
Dosage & duration:   2 mg taken every night as needed for sleep for the period of over a month
Other conditions:   PKD, Insomnia,
Other drugs taken:   Only multiple vitamins and OTC medicatinos

Benefits:   I was finally able to easily fall asleep and for the most part remain asleep for the entire night. The sleep was more refreshing and I woke up without the typical sleeping pill "hang-over". Even while falling asleep you I didn't feel like I was all of a sudden blind-sided by a brick wall and forced to sleep. This feels much more natural and real than other medications I have tried.
Side effects:   At first, very vivid and biazarre nightmares and dreams. These gradually became less severe and less violent or frightening and now I dream normally (for me) and have no other side effects that I have become aware of yet.
Comments:   The Lunesta was prescribed to me by my nephrologist as a part of treatment for continued insomnia. This has been a long term problem and in the past I have tried Remeron (which should be banned...horrible side effects and hangovers), Ambien, which is also very good and Ambien CR...that was wonderful. Currently I am happy with this treatment.

Dosage & duration:   5mg taken every night for the period of 1 yr

Benefits:   I have trouble sleeping -- I usually toss and turn all night, sleep a couple of hours and wake up. Normally, I never get a complete night's rest. After my doctor prescribed Lunesta, it was the first time in a very long time, that I was able to sleep from the time I laid my head on the pillow until my alarm sounded in the morning.
Side effects:   I had no side effects from using Lunesta. I felt refreshed in the morning without that groggy feeling or "hang over" like feeling.
Comments:   The treatment involved taking one pill in the evening right before bed. Lunesta works relatively fast, so you do not want to take it unless you are going right to bed because you become drowsy within 10 minutes.

Lunesta review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sleeping problems
Dosage & duration:   3 mg taken as needed for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   Prozac, Welbutrin

Benefits:   Was able to fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking Lunesta. Stayed asleep for at least 4 hours to 10 hours.
Side effects:   Bad taste in mouth before falling asleep, sleeping too long (10-14 hours), having difficulty waking up after 8 hours or less.
Comments:   Due to having depression, Prozac and the anxiety would interfere with sleeping patterns. I take Lunesta as needed to try to correct my sleeping habits. Since I was sleeping too long and having difficulty waking up, I usually only take half a tablet of Lunesta now.

Lunesta review by 51 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   2mg taken 1day for the period of 1day
Other conditions:   GAD
Other drugs taken:   Lexapro 5mg

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Bad Taste but not as bad a most people say
Comments:   Took 2mg for the first time ever (first ever sleep med) on an empty stomach and went to bed at 9:30 Got up at 11:30 and am typing this. I feel alitte sleepy (yawns) but it obviously did zip aliviate onset insomnia.

Lunesta review by 21 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   3 MG taken every night for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   Lunesta helped me sleep the first few times I took them and gave me 5-6 hours of sleep without waking up every hour (like I normally do without taking it).
Side effects:   After taking it before bed, anything you drink or eat will taste metallic-like and that includes bottled water. Drinking a whole bottle of water with that metallic-taste made me vomit and that taste is still there when you wake up in the morning but goes away after you've been awake for 10-15 minutes. Occasionally, I will have hangover-like symptoms like feeling nauseated, depressed, and constant headaches all day long. If you miss one night, you will not be able to get any sleep at all. I've gone 72 hours without sleep once because I ran out and the pharmacy took forever to refill it. In the mornings when you wake up, you will need at least 4 cups of coffee to get out of bed. I've tried everything from reducing the dosage to sleeping earlier than normally and nothing helps to prevent that problem. All in all, not any fun.
Comments:   I'm still taking Lunesta but that's only because I am supposed to see my doctor this week to discuss modifications and adjustments.

Lunesta review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   3 mg taken nightly for the period of 7 days

Benefits:   It did help me sleep
Side effects:   Drowsiness the following day
Comments:   I had been suffering for extreme insomnia for two weeks. My doctor prescribed Lunesta to help me resume a normal sleep cycle. It did help me sleep, but I was very groggy the next day. Maybe the dosage was too high.

Lunesta review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Poor sleep with frequent wakefulness
Dosage & duration:   2 mg taken twice weekly for the period of one year and on going
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   norvasc & accupril

Benefits:   Getting to sleep is easy as is staying asleep. When waking during the night, returning to sleep was not a problem. The drug did not cause sleep so deep that waking and being coherent was difficult.
Side effects:   Using Lunesta gives a sleep session of as much as 10 hours which might be a problem for some people.
Comments:   The drug is taken on an as needed basis. It has been used as much as three nights in succession without any noticeable ill effects.

Condition / reason:   ptsd/insomnia
Dosage & duration:   3mg taken nightly for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   antidepressant - Effexor

Benefits:   For years I was sleep deprived due to working conditions. Rarely would I enjoy the luxury of a full night sleep. Typically I would take hours to get to sleep and had extreme difficulty remaining asleep. Dreams were too realistic and often I would be more tired in the morning than upon retiring to bed. Taking Lunesta has allowed me not only to get to sleep but return to sleep. If I wake in the middle of the night, for example to go to the bathroom, I am awake and not stumbling. The vivid dreams are gone and I have experienced no groggy or hungover symptoms that you sometimes hear of when taking sleep medication. It has truly changed my life and I am so grateful for my Dr. for his prescription.
Side effects:   It has been over a year and I have yet to see any side effects, other than increasing the dosage from 2-3mg.
Comments:   One tablet, taken each night when I was already in bed and ready for sleep.

Lunesta review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Trouble sleeping
Dosage & duration:   3mg taken first time taking it for the period of Received a months worth
Other conditions:   pain
Other drugs taken:   soma, morphine, percocet

Benefits:   Slept through the whole night. Did not even get up to use the rest room.
Side effects:   Bad Nightmares, Woke up feeling groggy, irritable the whole day, throwing up, general feeling of sickness. Ruined my whole day.
Comments:   Was given a thirty day supply. Only took one night. The rest will be thrown out, I will never take this again. That bad.

Lunesta review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   3mg taken daily for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   irritability

Benefits:   I started having insomnia due to some family issues and had to start taking sleeping pills. With the help of Lunesta I could usually get up to 5 hours of sleep at night on most nights, but then suddenly it stopped working. I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR.
Side effects:   Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning. Bitter taste in the mouth next morning.
Comments:   It worked for several nights, then suddenly stopped working: I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR. It worked for several nights, then suddenly stopped working: I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR. It worked for several nights, then suddenly stopped working: I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR. It worked for several nights, then suddenly stopped working: I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR. It worked for several nights, then suddenly stopped working: I could not fall asleep and had to switch to Ambien CR.

Lunesta review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sleeplessness
Dosage & duration:   1 pill taken 30 minutes before bed for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Gastric Reflux
Other drugs taken:   Nexium

Benefits:   I was able to sleep
Side effects:   Violent nightmares. Sleep-walking. Two of the many examples: Got up and took a bath with NO recollection. Another time got up and BAKED COOKIES...made the dough, baked the cookies, cleaned up the kitchen, put the cookies in the jar....with not ONE recollection I did it.
Comments:   Was told I fall into the low percentage of people who have these same side-effects. Taken off Lunesta and cannot take Ambian for the same reasons. Tried Melatonin, 5mg a night...works like a charm and I haven't been in the kitchen baking!

Lunesta review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe insomnia
Dosage & duration:   2mg taken once at bedtime for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   migraines, hypertension, asthma
Other drugs taken:   migrainal, advair, singulair, atenenol, zanaflex

Benefits:   The benefits were simple--NONE
Side effects:   I can't really comment on the side effects of this sleep-aid. I haven't had the pleasure of yawning.
Comments:   I read carefully over the booklet and the website, thinking that maybe i was doing something wrong. I took the lunesta along the zanaflex hoping for a better result and, none!! Took it at 11pm and 3:44am, im still going strong-not even a yawn! I was formally on ambian, which would take over an hour to kick in, but my sleep time was averaging about two hours.

Lunesta review by 41 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   3 mg taken every night for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   Lunesta definitely put me to sleep and kept me asleep until morning.
Side effects:   There was a hangover from the medication well into the morning hours after waking.
Comments:   For years I had suffered with insomnia until my doctor prescribed Lunesta in a 3mg dose. It worked very well putting me to sleep and I did not wake until morning. Unfortunately I could sleep 10 - 12 hours and still wake up with a hangover from the medicine. Sometimes a half of a pill would do but I would still have somewhat of a hangover although not as bad. Now I only take during times of stress when sleeping is more important than any of the side effects.

Lunesta review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomina
Dosage & duration:   3mg taken 1 daily for the period of 1 day
Other conditions:   Alpha 1 Antitrpsin Disorder
Other drugs taken:   Prolastin

Benefits:   NONE
Side effects:   HORRIABLE taste in mouth with 15 minutes of taking it. Even breathing tasted bad as when the air hit my mouth and airway the taste was intensified. I tried to drink water to get rid of the taste and promptly threw up the taste was so bad. Within half an hour of taking the pill I developed a red rash on my face, and in an hour had a full blown lights and floaties migraine. To top it all of my insomonia was actually MADE worse. Two hours after taking the pill I am more awake and alert then I was BEFORE taking it.
Comments:   This is by far the worst medication I have ever taken. I got no help, in fact the problem got much worse and the side effects were unbearable!

Lunesta review by 39 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 mg taken 2 or 3 times a wk for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   Arthritis
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin

Benefits:   Sleeping was possible. It works well without making me sleepy the next day like Ambien did. It also works quickly as long as you lie down right away.
Side effects:   Bad taste in mouth in the morning was bothersome in the beginning but it goes away over time the longer you take the drug. However, lineage did not work well at all if I ate anything near bed. The directions say it does not work well with fatty foods. But, it also did not work if I even took a fish oil supplement, which is a fatty acid. Even the smallest amount of fat, like a pat of butter on a piece of toast renders it ineffective. When that happens, I would cut another pill in half and would be able to sleep. This is a time release drug and should not actually be cut in half!
Comments:   Taken as needed for insomnia.