Lumigan (Bimatoprost) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Lumigan (Bimatoprost) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 12 ratings/reviews, Lumigan has an overall score of 8.25. The effectiveness score is 8.83 and the side effect score is 8.17. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Lumigan review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   o increase length and fullness of eyelashes
Dosage & duration:   Apply to eyelashes (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of Four months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   My eyelashes grew extremely long.
Side effects:   If I got any of the product on my eyelids, it stained them purple.
Comments:   This was prescribed off-label to me. It is a potent glaucoma drug. It is essential that you not get it in your eyes or on your eyelids. It only needs to be painted on the eyelashes, away from the eyelids, to be effective. Results were seen within a month.

Lumigan review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   glaucoma
Dosage & duration:   one drop (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   reduce elevated pressure in the eyes and relieve hypertension.
Side effects:   Noticable growth of eyelashes, becomes thicker and lusher because of the eye drops.
Comments:   The drug prevents elevated IOP (intraocular pressure) the higher the IOP, the greater the likelihood of optic nerve damage, which can lead to vision loss and potential blindness.

Lumigan review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Eyelash growth
Dosage & duration:   One or two drops along the lash line (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of One month
Other drugs taken:   Birth Control pills

Benefits:   The upper and lower eyelashes grew longer, thicker, and darker. There is less need for mascara or eyelash curlers with this product. Lumigan contains the same active ingredient that Latisse will contain when it is released but the difference is that Lumigan is prescribed as a glaucoma medication while Latisse will be marketed and sold as an eyelash growth product. It does work.
Side effects:   I developed dark under eye circles, itching, redness and a slight headache after each use but I was told that the under eye circles and headaches I experienced were less common side effects. Once the treatment was stopped all of the side effects disappeared including the dark under eye circles. Also, once the treatment is stopped the eyelashes eventually return to their original state.
Comments:   I was told to use it once a day at night and to apply it with clean brush. It is important to try to keep the bottle from having direct contact with the skin in order to avoid contamination. I used a new eyelash brush daily and Latisse contains once a day applicators.

Lumigan review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sparse thin eyelashes
Dosage & duration:   0.03% (dosage frequency: once daily in the evening) for the period of four months so far
Other conditions:   nil
Other drugs taken:   nil

Benefits:   dramatic increase in eyelash growth and thickness, eyelashes became noticably longer after four weeks, with good growth experienced at the 12 week (3 month mark).
Side effects:   slightly darker eyelashes, the lashes appear rather whispy on the end and sort of messy, they grow irregularly and point in different directions as opposed to nice and straigh like they were before.
Comments:   brush on the opthalmic solution (I used a small lip liner brush) directly on the lash line of the upper eyelid, once daily in the evening before bed (on fresh clean skin after makeup removal). Every second evening I also brushed the solution on the underside of the lashline on my upper eyelid by pulling my eyelid up (being careful not to get it in my eyes).

Lumigan review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Cosmetic Longer lashes
Dosage & duration:   paint tiny strip above lashes (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   itchy eyelids

Benefits:   I got longer, darker and thicker eyelashes. These were noticeable after about 6 weeks. Thereafter they continued to grow for a few months till they reached a maximum. Then I carried on with maintenance doses.
Side effects:   Just the itchy eyelids. Other than that there was occasioanlly a very slight burning.
Comments:   I painted a small amount of Lumigan on the upper and lower lashline every night for a week and then every other night thereafter. For this I used a small brush and a tiny little line.

Lumigan review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Longer eyelashes
Dosage & duration:   once thin strip on eyelashes nightly (dosage frequency: once a night) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   itchy eyelids
Other drugs taken:   only vitamins

Benefits:   The Lumigan made my lashes grown longer and thicker. I didn't need to use as much mascara.
Side effects:   I got itchy eyelids. The itching was fairly mild.
Comments:   I put a drop of lumigan on an upside down teacup. Then I applied lumigan with a very fine artists type paintbrush. I would paint a thin line just above the lashes on top and just below the lashes on bottom. I would then use the remainder on my eyebrows. After about 6 weeks I noticed my lashes were longer and thicker. I washed the paintbrush carefully after each use and was careful to keep the line thin. After the first week, I began to use it every other night.

Lumigan review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   glacoma
Dosage & duration:   1 drop (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   moderately elevated blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Lisinoprol

Benefits:   control glacoma; since drug was so expensive, eye doctor started me out with sample drops. Drug was being used to stem the development of glacoma.
Side effects:   treatment was only to right eye; lashes got noticeable thicker
Comments:   drop in right eye nightly; appears to be controlling the development of glacoma My glacoma was hard to diagnose because the cornea was thicker than the norm and the normal puff test gave incorrect readings for several years. I had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2002 when my weight had reached 397 poounds. I had also been diagnosed with adult onset asthma when we moved to Oregon in the early 90's. With the type 2 diabetes, my Dr recommended that I consider gastric bypass surgery which was done at OHSA, Portland OR in October 2002. My A1c tests started showing normal in 6 months and have remained so since then. My Dr in Portland had told me to always get my eyes checked by an Opthamologist because of the long term effects of the asthma drugs I had been taken as well as diabetes.

Lumigan review by 67 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Glucoma
Dosage & duration:   1 drop in each eye (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 10 yrs

Benefits:   Reduced inner eye pressure which has slowed or possibly eliminated the disease. At the very least, the symptoms of glucoma immediately improved to normal and have remained at the normal range.
Side effects:   Longer eye lashes, darker eyes, slight eye irritation.
Comments:   I have been very satisfied with the results of taking lumigan. My eye pressure was in the mid 20's and has dropped to the mid teen's. As an experiment, I stopped taking lumigan for several months and my pressure went back up over 20, so I went back on lumigan and it again dropped to the mid teen's. The preferred range of eye pressure is 10 to 20, with 15 or below considered to be optimal.

Lumigan review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   glaucoma
Dosage & duration:   2.5ml (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of at least 4 yrs
Other conditions:   high b;lood pressure
Other drugs taken:   3 blood pressur meds

Benefits:   no problems with either meds
Side effects:   none
Comments:   none, your questions do not include my problem..... the lid to the lumigan is not easily opened. At this point I still can open most bottles, etc this required a nut cracker. Not to good if person has limited skills opening objects... as are most of the glaucoma patient

Lumigan review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   lashes
Dosage & duration:   1 drop (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 20 weeks

Benefits:   longer,thicker,darker lashes,as well I applied it on the eyebrows
Side effects:   mild itching and irritation at the beginning,later disappeared
Comments:   applied 1 drop to the each eye daily in the evening,very effective,took few weeks to grow new lashes,but it was worth waiting,used disposable applicators daily to prevent eye infections,as well applied to the brows growth line

Lumigan review by 66 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   glaucoma
Dosage & duration:   .03% (dosage frequency: once/day) for the period of 5+ years
Other conditions:   borderline high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   HCTZ 25mg

Benefits:   Lumigan worked fairly well regulating eye pressure for over five years, however less effectively in the past year. A second drug was added (Timilol)to further reduce eye pressure. Lumigan taken p.m. Timilol taken a.m.
Side effects:   Lumigan did make my eyelashes grow. In the outside corner just under the eye small hairs grow where the medication tends to drip during administration.
Comments:   Lumigan is taken at bedtime - one drop in each eye. Then fingertip pressure is applied at the tearduct for three minutes to allow the drops to take effect.

Lumigan review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hair growth
Dosage & duration:   applied to lashline (dosage frequency: every other day) for the period of one year

Benefits:   moderate eyelashn growth but no change in eyelash color
Side effects:   small red capillaries noticed at the lashline and going ip lid about 2mm.This gives an appearance of a darker lid but the skin is not darker
Comments:   I have been using this product for over a year for every nother day. My lash fullness and increased length has stabilized with no iris darkening ( I have green eyes)