Lexapro (Escitalopram) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Lexapro (Escitalopram) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 74 ratings/reviews, Lexapro has an overall score of 6.89. The effectiveness score is 7.46 and the side effect score is 7.30. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily/at bedtime for the period of 2+ years
Other drugs taken:   Trazodone

Benefits:   I have clinical depression with aggitation and anger. This medication seemed to take the edge off the anger as well as decrease my depressive symptoms. I started at 10mg, then shortly increased to 20mg, which left me feeling too drugged. It was only after 12+ months of taking 10 mg that it was increased due to increasing depressive symptoms.
Side effects:   Initially the medication made me very drowsy. I began taking it at bedtime, which seemed to eleviate that particular concern. I think there may have been some weight gain, but I am not certain that it was specifically related to the Lexapro. Also, I did initially have difficult acheiving orgasm, but this side effect seemed to diminish within 6-9 months.
Comments:   I'm not sure waht you mean here- I started on the medication over 2 years ago at 10 mg a day. The dosage was increased to 20 mg after about 12 months. The side effects were limited, and mostly not perticularly bothersome.

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10mg daily taken daily for the period of two months and continuingto use it
Other conditions:   frustrated/short temper/mood swings

Benefits:   better outlook on life in general, less anxious, easier to deal with everything, a difference of night and day
Side effects:   during the initial dose(first week to ten days) a bit of nausea,strange sensation in teeth and my head felt a little odd
Comments:   I am happily married with two children, ages three and five. For years I cried everyday, freaked out at the drop of a hat, yelled all the time, had no self esteem and sometimes thought I could not go on. After two weeks of taking Lexapro I am a completely different person. I have not cried once after the first week of being treated. I love myself and my kids. All the menial tasks that I felt so difficult before, I now do with a great sense of ease. My friends and family notice a huge change in me. I couldn't be happier.

Condition / reason:   Depression and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 mg/ day taken once a day for the period of Five years
Other conditions:   Fibromyalgia, allergies
Other drugs taken:   Zyrtec, guaifenisin

Benefits:   It took the edge off of my stress and anxiety level and helped me feel more present and even-keeled. I started taking it during a difficult period and it helped lighten my mood. I did not feel like I was numbed or that I was unable to feel highs and lows.
Side effects:   I gained a few pounds. It may have had a slight effect on my sex drive, but that is hard to tell.
Comments:   I started on 10 mg/day for a few weeks and then went to 20/mg a day. This seemed to be a more effective dose for me.

Lexapro review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   15 mg taken daily for the period of daily

Benefits:   Lexapro seemed to work well for me. I suffered from panic attacks in the past and the Lexapro definitely helped with these. The Lexapro also assisted with symptoms of depression.
Side effects:   did not have any treatment side effects
Comments:   My doctor started me on a very low dose to treat some situational depression and panic attacks. The 10mg did not work well enough and eventually I was given 15 and then 20. The 20mg seemed to do the trick without any additional side effects.

Lexapro review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   5 - 10 mg aday taken i took this once a day for the period of Approximately six months.
Other conditions:   None, I am a very healthy individual.
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   Initially, Lexapro helped alleviate some of the stress I was experiencing. I noticed that situations that would normally aggravate me (i.e. stress of work, children, college assignments,etc.) I was able to handle better.
Side effects:   Although some stress was alleviated, I noticed that I spent more time in a "vegetative" state. I am normally a very active person who enjoys exercising daily. While on Lexapro, I found myself preferring to just relax and watch televison (did cause slight weight gain due to this). More serious and traumatizing side effects was the sudden onset of severe chest pain, rapid heartbeat, dizzy spells, sweating, fatigue, numbness in legs and nausea. The first episode occurred one day at work causing an ambulance to be dispatched to job. From that day on, these attacks happened quite frequently, my doctor took me off the medicine. However, these attacks continued to occur for over a year later (never happened to me before Lexapro). In fact, these effects started a two year long string of attacks, visits to cardiologists, emergency rooms, my fear of exercising as increased activity seemed to affect my heart and induce rapid heart beat. I began to fear driving as my dizzy spells would occur for no apparent reason, as well as the numbness in my legs. No doctor was much help, in fact I often got treated as if I was crazy and was just told that I am suffering from panic attacks. I understand that panic attacks can occur out of nowhere in ones life and once you have them you may experience continued anxiety. I believe the Lexapro opened this pandoras box for me though. I read somewhere that an earlier version of Lexapro (or similar type of pill) caused heart problems thus was pulled off the shelves. Who knows the story behind that. It has taken me two long horrific years to get back on track. I am now approaching my issues naturally and am doing better (not to say this completely stopped my life - but it did seriously change it).
Comments:   I took approximately 5mg a day. I visited my doctor on monthly basis, and was in contact with her via phone during first several weeks (my doc was old school... she really cares about her patients). I was placed on this treatment as I was a single mother of two very young children, employed full time, and attending college full time. The stress wasoccasionally overwhelming and my usual source of alleviating stress (exercise) was no longer helping.

Lexapro review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 tablet per day for the period of 1 year so far
Other conditions:   osteoarthritis

Benefits:   It has worked pretty well at lifting my depression symptoms. Not dramatic effects but enough to help. It also decreased my appetite and I lost about 10 lbs and didn't gain it back.
Side effects:   I had mild nausea at first but that stopped.
Comments:   I take one 10 mg tablet a day.

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of 4 days

Benefits:   I felt less sadness.
Side effects:   i felt less of every emotion. i felt emotionally flat. Slept a lot. When I wasn't sleeping, I really could not even have driven a car. Made me a zombie.
Comments:   I took a whole 10 mg tablet the first time and I wasn't right for two days. I then took just a quarter of a 10 mg tablet and got the same reaction, but it only lasted for about a day. I was through with it a that point.

Lexapro review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   peri-menopausal syptoms
Dosage & duration:   one tablet taken once daily for the period of 1 month

Benefits:   I was experiencing a lot of hot flashes and I think they have subsided in frequency, duration and intensity since starting to take the Lexapro.
Side effects:   I haven't noticed any side effects.
Comments:   I take one tablet each morning. I have been on this treatment for one month.

Lexapro review by 54 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   menopause

Benefits:   depression reduced slightly
Side effects:   could no longer have orgasms
Comments:   I took lexapro for depression, within 2 weeks it affected my sex drive and within 4 weeks i was having difficulty reaching orgasm, whereas my entire life I never had this problem. My depression was only minimally relieved. I stopped taking it within 2 months, because I wanted my sex life back, and luckily it did come back.

Condition / reason:   Mild depression
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   HRT, seasonal allergies
Other drugs taken:   Climara

Benefits:   The benefits were amazing. After 3 days, I felt good. I didnot want to stay home and not see anybody.
Side effects:   A little sleepiness at first.
Comments:   I have always been depressed. This flared up considerable when I was having trouble with endometrious. I was just sick of myself. Within a few days of taking Lexapro, I felt beeter and could make reliable decisions about things. After my hysterectomy, I needed the meds to work with the HRT. I just needed a little boost because my body was not responding to the hormone therapy like it should.

Condition / reason:   Major depression
Dosage & duration:   10 mg./day taken once a day for the period of Several years to present

Benefits:   Lexapro has proven to be a very effective antidepressant that is entirely lacking in sexual side-effects.
Side effects:   Lexapro is quite stimulating, which I consider to be a good thing, but I do consider the feeling of being a little too euphoric a side effect of the drug.
Comments:   I have suffered from dysthymia (low mood) with major depressive episodes for most of my adult life. The newer antidepressants, particularly Prozac and Effexor, were lifesavers for me and I expect to be on a daily antidepressant for life. Antidepressants such as Prozac and Lexapro, however, greatly depressed my sexual desire and ability to reach climax (adversely affecting my relationship with my husband). These medications also "pooped out" (stopped working) after a while, and even when they were working, they would not entirely relieve my low mood. Ever since my psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro several years ago, my mood issues have entirely disappeared with absolutely no adverse sexual side effects.

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 8 months

Benefits:   Lessened anxiety,brought about more attention
Side effects:   drowsiness,lethargy,lack of deep emotions
Comments:   take one pill daily

Dosage & duration:   20mg per day taken daily for the period of about 6 months

Benefits:   Lexapro worked very well to make me feel better, less anxious and unhappy.
Side effects:   I gained ten pounds in the few months that I took this medicine.
Comments:   I've taken several anti-depressants over the years trying to find something with the least side effects for me. Paxil caused my jaw to always clench, Prozac caused heart flutters. My doctor was very insistant that Lexapro was not the cause of my weight gain. However, I insisted on trying something else (Wellbutrin). Within 2 months I had lost the aberrant 10 pounds.

Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once a day for the period of a year
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   birth control

Benefits:   more motivated and focused to accomplish daily activities, increased feelings of energy and decreased feelings of uselessness
Side effects:   increased sensitivity to alchohol
Comments:   in combination with talk therapy, i took 40 mg of Lexapro in the morning because when I took it in the evening, it caused some restlessness. Before Lexapro I took Prozac for a year and found that it caused me to have interrupted sleep cycles so that is why I changed to Lexapro

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 8 months

Benefits:   Lessened anxiety,brought about more attention
Side effects:   drowsiness,lethargy,lack of deep emotions
Comments:   take one pill daily

Lexapro review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   post partum depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 2 yrs

Benefits:   it did not make me feel like i was on a major drug. i still felt like "myself" and could experience emotions. there were no weight loss/gain experiences.
Side effects:   i did not ecperience any side effects that i know of.
Comments:   my OBGYN origionally prescribed lexapro for post-partum. I stayed on it for about 3 years and recommend it highly.

Lexapro review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg daily taken once daily for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   less depression/anxiety
Side effects:   weight gain of 13 pounds -- very distressing.
Comments:   I stopped taking the Lexapro and have been trying to manage my depression on my own with yoga, light therapy, supplements which has only been mildly effective.

Lexapro review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   nerves
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1/day for the period of still taking it
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   benefits: Nervous twitch went away under my eye. I am able to handle stressful situations better.
Side effects:   I did not have any side effects
Comments:   I recieved 5 mg/day for the first week. 1/2 a pill and then took 10mg/day.

Lexapro review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I had felt so depressed over the diagnosis of my mothers terminal illness and after taking this medication for less than 2 months I noticed that I could control my emotions much better.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Mother diagnosed with terminal illness. Difficult time for me. Cried alot. Lexapro let me get hold of my emotions. I felt that I could cope with the situation better. The doctor increased my dose to 30mg after about 3 months. I don't feel that it made a significant difference so, I cut back to 20mg.

Condition / reason:   depression, anxiety
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once a day for the period of 14 months

Benefits:   symptoms were numbed, I was able to better "deal" with life and get through my days without crying or having a nervous epsiode
Side effects:   I felt NUMB and low energy. It was like living in a cloud. I also gained a lot of weight which in turn made me feel bad and sad for myself all over again.
Comments:   I just took one a day, in the morning. When I would voice my concern about the perks of the drug with my Doctor, he was just adjust the dosage or try me on something else. I wished he would have advised me to do some psychological exercises to accompany the treatment.

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 2yrs
Other conditions:   n/a

Benefits:   helped anxiety & black moods, headaches. Made my life a happier place to be in, especially for my family. Have had great results with lexapro with only minimal side effects such as a small weight gain.
Side effects:   Would not recommend going off lexapro cold turkey as the effects of doing this are pretty horrible such as head spins, highly recommend slowly weaning yourself off it. Have had a slight weight gain due to slowing me down considerably.
Comments:   Doctor prescribed lexapro when I had seen him about black moods & depression which is something I have had on and off since I was very young. Depression was starting to effect my family life so felt I needed to see a doctor, he prescribed me lexapro as it helps with depression & anxiety. I was prescribed 10mg and take one tablet daily. I visit the doctor regularly to update progress on lexapro

Lexapro review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   10 milligrams (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 7 months
Other conditions:   endometriosis
Other drugs taken:   Yasmin

Benefits:   Decreased depression. Decreased anxiety with heart palpatations.
Side effects:   Decreased libido (which was temporary)
Comments:   After about a week of taking the medication, I felt "like myself" again and not like a crazy person. I had felt that depression and anxiety were takin gover my personality. The medication neutralized these feelings.

Lexapro review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   clinical depression
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   excessive anxiety/panic attacks
Other drugs taken:   Glucovance for diabetes

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were very minimal because of the severe rage that I experienced. I don't think I benefited at all from taking this drug.
Side effects:   This drug was very toxic to my system because it caused severe rage. I really was never relieved from my clinical depression because I kept hoping that the drug benefits would kick in and kept on taking it until one day I realized that I had to stop taking it. After about 2 months, I realized that I was very agitated constantly. I just thought that it would eventually go away but it never did. My nervousness was getting extreme. One day, I was in a grocery store shopping, pushing a grocery cart, and a little boy walked in front of me pushing a toy cart. I was so agitated that I had an INTENSE DESIRE to ram him with my shopping cart. I realized that this behavior was NOT ME and that the Lexapro was causing the severe rage. I also had a constant desire to start running down the street as fast as I could and NOT stop. I also couldn't sleep at night and if I was able to go to sleep finally, I would only stay asleep for a few hours. I sure hope this medication is taken off the market because it could cause some unstable patients to take other's lives from the severe rage.
Comments:   This medication is manufactured by Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a subsidiary of Forest Laboratories, Inc. in St. Louis Missouri 63045. I was given the prescription of taking 10 mg. once a day. I cannot even imagine what would have happened to me if I had taken the full dosage recommended of 20 mg. I would have probably hurt someone badly. I have always suffered from clinical depression and have taken many different medications. Right now, Paxil is helping me with my depression a little. I think that I need to have it "upped" because the usual dosage isn't as effective as it once was. Anyway, my psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro for me because he really believed that this new drug would be just perfect for me. I had no idea that it would cause such turmoil in my life. I was in a constant state of nervousness and my panic attacks had started to get much worse. I just thought that my daily routine was the cause for my anxiety but realized when I had the desire to shove my shopping cart into a little boy who walked in front of me in the store, as I stated before in this report, that I had to quit taking Lexapro. Sometimes, I would sit on my sofa at night and want so badly to just scream at the top of my lungs. My therapist just told me to take a pillow, put it over my face, and scream at the top of my lungs. I was afraid that my neighbors would call the police if they heard me. That was no way to live. This medication was so toxic to me that if I had not realized what it was doing to me, I might have even taken my own life. Because of my great faith in God, I didn't kill myself and finally realized that I had to call my doctor immediately the next morning to report what Lexapro was doing to me. I also have a friend who is taking Lexapro and has taken it for sometime. She also shows signs of rage at times. Just a minor infringement on her and she will go into a state of rage (but not as bad as I did). I have tried to tell her that she needs to get off Lexapro but she just thinks that OTHER people are intimidating her. One day, when she rams her car into someone elses because they pulled in front of her, she will finally realize that Lexapro is not the drug for HER either. I really do think that Lexapro should be taken off the market until further testing is done. I would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone. It is just too unstable.

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken daily for the period of 1+ year
Other conditions:   Migraine headaches
Other drugs taken:   Imitrex as needed

Benefits:   Depression lessened considerably after 6-8 weeks. Anxiety & depression not totally eliminated, but after initial 6-8 weeks of treatment patient was better able to deal with depressive thoughts and worry. Allows patient to live a functionally normal life.
Side effects:   Several side effects when initially starting treatment: Indigestion, loss of appetite, increased anxiety, inability to orgasm, loss of desire, and insomnia. Insomnia has decreased after 4 months of treatment though patient still finds it difficult not to wake periodically during the night. Physical sexual function has improved, though desire has not returned to it's normal level. All other side effects have passed.
Comments:   Patient has been on Lexapro in past, though weaned off (with negative side effects including tremors, electric "zaps" and finally the return of the depression/anxiety). Began treatment again Sept 07 and continues currently. Current treatment began with 5 mg daily for 4 days then 10 mg daily after that. Medication is taken in morning.

Lexapro review by 55 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   just vitamins

Benefits:   The drug was able to improve my depression and create balance in my life over the long run
Side effects:   Some memory problems and a bit of difficulty sleeping
Comments:   The details are I take a pill once a day and have for the past several years and intend to continue in the future

Dosage & duration:   20mg down to 10mg taken daily for the period of 2years
Other conditions:   nil
Other drugs taken:   nil

Benefits:   ability to function/interact better especially in public.
Side effects:   nausea dizzyness
Comments:   started on 5mg then 10mg then 20mg then was brought down again to 10mg over the two year period. combined with monthly psychiatric follow ups.

Lexapro review by 51 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   stressfull live change
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   benacar

Benefits:   leveled out emotional highs and lows
Side effects:   foggy mind and sexual apathy
Comments:   don't know what this question is asking.

Lexapro review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg once daily taken once/day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   GERD
Other drugs taken:   Prevacid

Benefits:   less irritability, slept better. Was less hungry.
Side effects:   mild mania, manifested by spending more money. I felt less inhibition in my spending and bought more products than I had in the past.
Comments:   Was put on paxil which was quite effective but had the side effect of wt gain. Switched to lexapro. Wt gain more easily controlled, but wasn't as effective as paxil for depression. Now I'm on nothing and I'm doing well.

Condition / reason:   always crying
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 6 mos

Benefits:   i stopped crying, and could breath better
Side effects:   none
Comments:   just went to the doctor, explained that all i felt like doing was sighing , and how i could burst out in tears at any given time- he suggested lexapro-i resisted-didn't want drugs. went back 1 month later and said, ok, lets try it- i stopped crying, it worked

Lexapro review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 2xday for the period of 2 months
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin

Benefits:   Before I started on the drug Lexapro, I felt lethargic and didn't want to get out of bed each morning. I hated getting up and facing the day. I would sit and watch the time pass by. Finally, I went to my Dr. for a checkup and he diagnosed me as being depressed. He put me on Wellbutrin and Lexapro 10 mg. I was instructed to take the pill 2 times per day everyday. For the first week I felt disconnected from myself but by the 2nd week I started to feel as if each morning was something to look forward to. I believe that Lexapro was a great addition to my life during my troubled times.
Side effects:   In the first week of treatment I felt disconnected from myself. I felt fuzzy and had trouble thinking clearly. It was this side effect that made me not want to take the drug anymore but I continued taking it 2 times per day. By the second week the fuzziness began to lift and I felt more like my normal self. After 2 months of taking Lexapro I felt like I was back to my old self again.
Comments:   Lexapro was taken 2 times a day for 2 months.

Dosage & duration:   15mg taken 1x daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   insomnia
Other drugs taken:   occasional sleeping pills

Benefits:   I felt more stable in my daily activities; more capable of handling stress; and better able to successfully complete my daily responsibilities of working nights, parenting three children and keeping a house running at an acceptable level.
Side effects:   While I was taking the medicine, I slept alot during the day. It could have been a side effect of my depression; however, I felt it was from the Lexapro because it was more extreme in the beginning of my takning this medicine and subsided somewhat after the medicine had been in my system for a while. No matter how much I slept, I never felt rested and could still sleep a full night also. This could also be attributed to my working night shift; however, once I quit taking the Lexapro, the need to sleep so much during the day subsided.
Comments:   I was prescribed 10mg initially and this was not enough so my dose was increased to 15mg. I would occasionally take an additional 5 mg, totalling 20mg, but this was rare. I eventually weaned myself off of the medicine. My doctor said that it would be acceptable for me to do this myself as I felt ready; largely because my father had died and my mother had remarried and we both felt it was going to be a temporary need only. I took Lexapro for approximately 6-8 months.

Lexapro review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once per day for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin XL

Benefits:   The benefits to the treatment were that my anxiety was significantly decreased. It took almost two months for the benefits to kick in, but when they did it was well worth it. The depression also decreased significantly. I'm not sure if that was due to the addition of Wellbutrin, or if the reduction in anxiety was so great as to reduce the depression.
Side effects:   There were several side effects worth noting. First of all, the Lexapro caused serious lethargy and loss of energy. Taking the pill at night rather than in the morning helped with this side effect, as did the addition of Wellbutrin. Weight gain also occurred, as well as a severe decrease in libido. When weaning off of the Lexapro, severe dizziness occurred.
Comments:   10 mg of Lexapro (daily) was prescribed. It was taken every day for nearly two years, in conjunction with check-ups with the prescribing psychiatrist every six months. (The psychiatrist determined that the anxiety was due to a chemical imbalance and not situational. Therefore, regular visits and/or therapy were not necessary.) After two years on the medication, treatment ended due to inability to tolerate the side effects noted above. During the weening process, severe dizziness occurred. The only way to alleviate the dizziness was to take a Lexapro pill. As the weening continued, dizziness occurred less often and longer periods of time elapsed before it was necessary to take another pill. Eventually, the dizziness ceased completely.

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of 2yrs
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   The benefits of taking Lexapro, for me, were noticable within a few weeks at the very most. I wasn't as on edge. I wasn't as anxious. I haven't had any more anxiety attacks and Lexapro has helped me.
Side effects:   I did not personally have any side effects from taking Lexapro. I gained 5lbs after starting it, but it was also winter time and I seem to gain 5 pounds around the holidays anyway. No trouble taking it off in the spring so I don't think it was an actual side effect--just too much of the holiday food.
Comments:   I had never had a panic or anxiety attack before. After having my first one, and being scared to death to have another one, my doctor put me on Lexapro. I take 10mg/ day and have not increased it.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   insomnia
Other drugs taken:   trazodone

Benefits:   happier, slept better. The Lexapro helped with energy levels and anxiety; the Trazadone with sleep. Together they worked quite well, I thought, as I was peppier during the day and slept well at night. So all in all, I would say that this was an excellent combination for someone suffering from sleep deprivation, which contributed to depression, low energy, and anxiety. I felt cured
Side effects:   groggy sometimes. And I could not really stop, though I was able to play with the amount of the trazodone, lowering it down to 50 mg. whenever ever I could. I did not notice side effects from Lexapro, just perhaps that I became flat overtime--not depressed but no super excited either. So at a certain point, I wanted to get off. I had wonderful dreams on trazodone, but would sometimes go back to sleep in the morning for 1-3 extra hours.
Comments:   50-150 mg of trazodone and 20 mg of lexapro daily. I took all at night, just before going to bed. I would when trying to bring the Trazodone down--so I would be less groggy in the morning-- go very slowly, 25 mg less every few days. Usually this would work. If I woke in the middle of the night, I would immediately get up and take another 50 mg. I have probably taken up to 250 mg in one night, but very rarely. And I have had long periods where I was at 50 mg, only taking more if I was really stressed out or my mind was buzzling with too many details. I recommend this combination really.

Lexapro review by 34 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken dail;y for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   Helped reduce some of the anxiety and had a moderate effect on the depression although it did not go away.
Side effects:   Insomnia and fatigue were the main side effects experienced.
Comments:   Taken orally daily at night to address depresion. Stopped taking due to side effects. Found increase of regimented daily exercise to be more beneficial.

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   depression

Benefits:   The treatment benefits include less shakiness, stable mood, calm stomach and overall stability.
Side effects:   I have not noticed any side effects. I have noticed that if I am inconsistent with taking the medication regularly I will feel anxious or moody. If I drink alcohol the medication does not seem to counteract the anxiety.
Comments:   After the birth of my daughter I suffered from what seemed like acute anxiety attacks. Coupled with my unpredictable mood cycle and my inability to control my emotions my doctor recommended 10mg of Lexapro daily combined with talk therapy.

Condition / reason:   panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   I have no more panic attacks, it helped to reduce anxiety, to improve the mood. I feel the old myself again and can function well at work.Sometimes I still experience anxiety attacks but they are not severe. I highly recommend this drug due to minimum of side effects in comparison with other antidepressant drugs.
Side effects:   None, the only disadvantage was it started working after 2 weeks of usage.
Comments:   The treatment is supposed to last 1-1.5 years

Lexapro review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety, stress
Dosage & duration:   5 mg. daily taken once a day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   hyperlipidemia under control by medicaiton
Other drugs taken:   lipitor 20 mg daily

Benefits:   Eliminated or reduced symptoms of anxiety - eliminated heart palpitations and shortness of breath. Provided a general feeling of calm.
Side effects:   The worst, and the reason for d/c'ing, side effect was hot flashes and night sweats that awakened me and interfered with my working. Secondly, I felt drowsy during the day even on this low (5 mg day) dose. I tried taking at night and the trialed taking it in the AM and experienced no difference in the side effects. Both side effects are completely gone now that I have stopped taking it.
Comments:   I believe I have already done so.

Lexapro review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 (dosage frequency: 1/daily) for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   unithroid

Benefits:   The benefits were that once I started taking it, I became less emotional when I got upset. I could handle the small things better than before, which used to set me off. It evened out my moods so that I was less tempermental.
Side effects:   If I missed taking a dose, I would feel a bit lightheaded, dizzy or have a headache. Too many missed doses lead to a really irritable mood.
Comments:   After a break-up, I was very depressed and upset all the time. I began taking a dose of 20mg and within a few days, noticed a difference. I had fewer dramatic mood swings, and was able to handle the everyday things that got me upset in a more reasonable manner. I did not feel like crying as frequently as before the medication, and I feel it helps me keep a pretty even temper. I continue to take this medication because I have been told I have a natural chemical imbalance, and this keeps me from being overly emotional when it is unnecessary. Overall, I feel I benefit from taking it, and unless I miss a dose, I have no side effects.

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were marginal at best. Mood neither improved nor deteriorated, and anxiety was never significantly alleviated. Unsurprisingly, recent research suggests that SSRIs are only effective in the most severe of cases.
Side effects:   On the plus side, I experienced no major side effects. The possible effects can range from nausea to sexual dysfunction, but none were a problem. However, it is possible to feel a sort of withdrawal.
Comments:   The pills are administered once a day, daily, for as long as you think it's worth taking them. The prescribing physician recommended taking Lexapro for at least six months to get the full benefit of its normalizing effects.

Condition / reason:   depression, ptsd
Dosage & duration:   10mg/day taken daily for the period of several years

Benefits:   Severe long term depression and anxiety were alleviated.
Side effects:   Yawning, tiredness, lethargy, dry eyes/sinuses. Over time the drug seemed to build up in my system (the Dr. determined that I metabolize this particular drug slowly)and my dosage had to be adjusted to 5mg/day. 5mg/day takes the edge off the depression but does not cause the extreme exhaustion experienced at higher doses. This medication is excellent despite some mild side effects. It does not cause any of the musculo/skelatal pain or sleep interuptions I experienced with other anti-depressants.
Comments:   treatment began 3 years ago, 20mg/day was adusted to 10mg/day taken at bedtime for 2 and a half years. 4 months ago dosage was decreeased to 5mg/day at bedtime.

Lexapro review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression, lack of motivation
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 3 months and starting again

Benefits:   My obsessive thoughts completely disappeared. This was a huge relief because before that I was comparing myself to others 24/7. I was able to handle stressful situations calmly. Nothing could make me upset.
Side effects:   I did not gain or loose weight. My sex drive became non-existent. I was no longer able to achieve orgasm. This really became an issue only when my dose was increased from 10 mg to 20 mg. Ultimately, I stopped the pill because of this. Now, I am starting again (only 10 mg/day) because I am so lethargic, depressed, and full of obsessive thoughts.
Comments:   My dose was increased from 10 mg to 20 mg after about 2 months. I took the 20 mg dose for one month but then I abruptly stopped because of the side effects. I did not have any problem stopping the pill (no withdrawal symptoms at all). My sex drive and the ability to orgasm came back.

Lexapro review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of One week so far
Other conditions:   endometriosis

Benefits:   Seemed to take effect after the first dose. I noticed a considerable reduction in my anxiety and feelings of sadness. I was able to overlook the little things where as before they would really get to me. I was having all kinds of muscle twitches so I went to see my doctor who examined me and decided it was due to my stress levels. I am a mother and a wife and I was reluctant to take anything to help with my situation but am now glad I did.. I am only a week into it so I guess time will tell. But so far I am happy with the results.
Side effects:   Slight headache/stress in neck after the first dose although could be due to my resistant feelings of taking this to begin with. A bit of feeling shaky right after taking doses but controlable.
Comments:   I am to meet up with my doctor again after 2 weeks to see how it is affecting me. I am taking 10mg once a day in the afternoon after lunch. I have made an appointment with a therapist to also help me. I don't see this as a forever fix but for now it is doing the trick..... Meanwhile it allows me to focus and feel like I want to better myself so in the end I am hoping that this is just a bandaid until I heal myself or find a way to deal with things as needed.

Lexapro review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of one and a half years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   hormone replacement

Benefits:   This drug was most effective in 'cooling' my anxiety. The depression was less affected, but definately improved. I felt much calmer and able to deal with my situation more effectively. I wasn't panic striken anymore or weeping all the time.
Side effects:   At first the dose of 20mg left me a little zombie like. I'd sit and stare out the window all day. When the dose was reduced to 10mg. this side effect went away. I also developed a clenched jaw, which sometimes I snapped and my teeth grinding became much worse. I also developed ringing in my ears. I also gained weight, a total of 25 pounds.
Comments:   I was treated for anxiety and depression with this drug, beginning with 20mg and then reducing it to 10mg. I was going through a divorse at the time and could not cope with the overwhelming crisis. This drug was given in combination with cognitive psychotherapy and together I believe they were very effective. I was able to be weaned off very easily after one and a half years and feel fine now. The side affects were a bit troublesome and they remain; ie. the teeth grinding and ringing in the ears and weight gain.

Lexapro review by 63 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   lamictal, abilify, adderall

Benefits:   Improved mood. I suffered for 20 years with depression and anxiety and minor mood swings. Since taking the current medications I have a much more stabel mood. I occasionally have days with more depression. Before taking the meds, I was almost non functional, not wanting to do anything, feeling helpless and hopeless and at times suicidal. Now, I rarely ever have even fleeting thoughts of that.
Side effects:   constipation, sleep disturbance. The constipation has been severe, requiring stimulant laxatives about twice a week. I also believe that I have had an increase in appetite. At times I wonder if my memory is as sharp. Overall, I have had minimal side effects.
Comments:   continue to take the above medications for chronic depression. I tried an antidepressant first for a long time with a number of changes. I was also given klonopin for sleep. I could not take it during day because of sleepiness and lethargy. Later they added Adderall as I have also fibromyalgia. This helped the depression and low energy. I continued to struggle with my condition even though it had improved a little. Lamictal was added and later abilify. I have tried to decrease dosage or stop some of these and almost immediately my mood is depressed.

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken daily, in the morning for the period of One year so far
Other conditions:   Fibromyalgia, epilepsy, asthma
Other drugs taken:   Epilim, Ventolin, Panadeine Forte

Benefits:   Significantly decreased depression and suicidality, improved sleep, more stable moods and increased energy.
Side effects:   Initially Lexapro lowered sex drive but this seems to have returned to normal. Occasional dry mouth. On 10mg Lexapro failed to relieve depression and associated symptoms. On 20mg Lexapro resulted in an overall flat feeling where patient was unable to feel any strong emotions (happy, sad, angry).
Comments:   At 15mg patient is able to feel emotions and manage minimal depressive symptoms while undergoing accompanying psychotherapy treatment.

Lexapro review by 24 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken every day for the period of 1 year

Benefits:   I thought the medication did an okay job. My anxiety never entirely disappeared, but there was a noticeable reduction. The medication would probably have been more effective had it been combined with a talking therapy, but it was not.
Side effects:   The treatment had no significant side effects, aside from a little bit of nausea during the initial day or two. None of the more serious effects listed on the bottle were ever a problem.
Comments:   Basically, I had anxiety attacks and was prescribed Lexapro. I took the pill once a day every day for about a year, when I was weaned off. Apparently, if you don't wean yourself, you can experience withdrawal.

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once a day for the period of 3yrs
Other conditions:   bipolar disorder, gerd , ptsd
Other drugs taken:   topamax, trileptal, loratadine, prilosec, nexium

Benefits:   maintain mood, decrease in depression, the combination of meds provided for a drcrease in hospitializations and lethality. More activity on a daily basis and a return to "normal" behaviot in re : to sleep patterns and appetite.
Side effects:   decrease in sexual desire, decrease in sexual preformance and responsiveness
Comments:   one and a half tablts once a day of lexapro combined with100mg topamax and 300mg trlileptal for bipolar disorder and major depression and ptsd.

Lexapro review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 1 for the period of 1year
Other conditions:   loose bowels

Benefits:   more relaxed and not so obsessive, i did not hit lows or find myself depressed but more level and even
Side effects:   loose bowels. some say i was not as much fun or as joyful as i was beforede the drug so i believe it may have numbed my emotions a bit/
Comments:   I was given this drug b/c of feelings of sadness and loss of organizational skills and not as hopeful or positive of the future as i had been, i had taken prozac years ago and was off it for 5 years b/f i tried this . i am not on any anti-depresant at the time.

Lexapro review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of 6weeks

Benefits:   Deppression disappeared. Anxiety disappeared. Since I have been on Lexapro I have realised I have been depressed most of my life. I have a very strong family history of major depression. I was in denial to the fact I was depressed. When you have always been depressed you don't know any different. Since Lexapro I have felt alot calmer and happier. The intense guilt I felt about everything has almost gone. My mind would also constantly relieve traumatic past events and mistakes I had made. I really didn't ever want to wake up in the morning - but now I do. The depressive need to sleep in the day time has gone. I am also becoming much less socially isolated, more confident and have began ejoying life. I would have liked to find Lexapro Many years ago.
Side effects:   I started taking 5mg daily for the first two weeks and did feel an increase in anxiety which subsided after a couple of days. When I increased to 10 mg the anxiety returned and then again subsided. I also felt "far away and fuzzzy headed" for about 3 weeks. Insomnia was also an initial side effect. After 6 weeks I am not experiencing any side effects and am extremely grateful for my improved mood.
Comments:   I began taking Lexapro for 6 weeks. I started at 5mg for two weeks and then increased it to 10mg. I plan to continue taking it for a long time as i have never felt better.

Lexapro review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression & Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1x daily for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Immediate benefits were realized, faster than my doctor anticipated. Also, I wouldn't always take Lexapro consistently, and when symptoms returned, by resuming Lexapro, I experienced results in 2-3 days.
Side effects:   In the beginning, I felt a little dazed and disoriented for the first 1-2 weeks of taking Lexapro. Once my body adjusted to the drug, I felt like it took the edge off irritability and made me feel like my old self. Sustaining side effects were sexual; a decrease in ability to orgasim.
Comments:   10 mg of Lexapro was prescribed to be taken 1x daily. I was advised that this drug builds up in the system over time and that results generally wouldn't be measurable until taken consistently for a minimum of 4-6 weeks.

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken daily for the period of three weeks
Other conditions:   Anxiety

Benefits:   My doctor prescribed Lexapro to treat my condition of Major Depression Disorder (MMD.) In addtion to Major Depression Disorder, I also have Anxiety Disorder, and prior to treatment, I occassionally get into hyperventilation. I felt better after several days into taking Lexapro, and I was able to sleep better also.
Side effects:   I had nobody to take me to my doctors' offices, so I had to drive myself around. The sedation side effect was very strong on me, and I could not drive safely. My friends also made comments that my responsiveness had gone a lot worse at that time. By the third week into taking Lexapro, I had to call my doctor and requested to have a different drug in replacement.
Comments:   To treat the Major Depression Disorder and Anxiety Disorder, I visited my psychologies on a weekly basis, and my psychiatrist once every two or three weeks. The first drug that the psychiatrist recommended was Lexapro, and I started with the 5 mg dosage, after which I took the 10 mg for about three weeks. As mentioned above, I had to call my psychiatrist by the third week to request a different drug due to significant side effects.

Condition / reason:   depression and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg per day taken once daily for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   reduction in depression and anxiety with increased sense of well being, ability to focus on everyday activities, reduction in negative thoughts and increase in social activity.
Side effects:   initially experienced digestive discomfort, diarrhea, agitation and insomnia, dry mouth, chills and sweats, and headache; all mild and disappeared after about 2 weeks.
Comments:   I took 10 mg. of lexapro once per day. I also saw a counselor.

Lexapro review by 16 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety, depresion
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once daily for the period of for 1 year and i am still taking it

Benefits:   Before taking Lexapro I had severe anxiety attacks, by myself, when i would cry uncontrolably for about 30 mins each night. I would also have random panick attacks in public, triggerd by fealings of self conciesness, insecurity and confusion. After taking the medication, these problems were aliviated.
Side effects:   reduced overall emotional output - before taking Lexapro, i would have episodes of hyperactive behaivour, and would be very outgoing, loud and extatic. I injoyed these, and felt they were part of my personality. This was dumbed down dramatically by the medication. I also begun having non-life threatening Cardiac Arrhythmia, ie skipping heart beats, awareness of heart beat, palpatations etc. These were minor, and i have not sought any medical advice because of them.
Comments:   10mg per day of escitolopram oxalate

Lexapro review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a per day for the period of 6 weeks

Benefits:   Increased libido.
Side effects:   Vivid dreams, nightmares, diarrhea, increased anxiety, night sweats, exhaustion.
Comments:   Began at 5 mg, increased to 10mg after a few weeks. Have not been able to increase further because the side effects are so detrimental. I am weaning myself off Lexapro now and beginning Celexa again. I had a better experience on 20 mg of Celexa and it is far less expensive (because there is a generic).

Lexapro review by 22 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 3 weeks

Benefits:   The first few days I felt "happier"
Side effects:   at the 3 week mark, I started having SEVERE anxiety attacks that were constant. I was in a constant state of worry & I couldn't get warm,couldn't sleep,couldn't eat,NOTHING..I quit taking it & went through withdrawls even though the doctor said I wasn't on it long enough to go through withdrawls. It's been about 4 weeks & I am STILL not all the way back to where I was before taking this "devil pill"
Comments:   It was horrible..just read above

Lexapro review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   being stressed and nervous but yet confident
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daliy for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   felt better hard to tell as mood changes so much not sureif in head or not but do fet better so thats something to take from this
Side effects:   pain, bad moods, gettin sick, blackouts, takin 100mg per day without even remembering that was me takin them, no sex drive, bleeding from anal, sore mouths , put wieght on, sore jaw BUT BUT BUT do feel SOOOO much better and what i was going through before mentelly was much worse so these are nothin and only a few of the long f side effects i took u have to be strong to do this.
Comments:   very good drug i think

Lexapro review by 24 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 5 months and still currently on it
Other conditions:   bipolar

Benefits:   anxiety is supressed but not gone. Depresion is 100 percent gone
Side effects:   sex drive loss (Temporary) slower metabolism permanint headache (temp) trouble sleeping(temp) Getting on this drug is bitch but once your on it its great
Comments:   Its supposed to be a year treatment but phh i aint ever stopping this drug its helped me so much and id like to stay the way i am and not go back to what i had.

Lexapro review by 25 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   panic attacks and depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Lexapro immediately reduced my propensity for negative thoughts (e.g., "I'm not worthy" / "everything sucks"). It was almost as if thinking negatively became impossible. Consequently, panic attacks and depression diminished greatly. The drug also made me feel overall less tired (I was previously feeling tired all the time). Consequently, my sleeping pattern normalized.
Side effects:   Upon starting the drug, I felt a mild nausea (a gagging feeling), but only for the first week. Missing the drug for consecutive days quickly (in ~40 hours) triggered a single withdrawal symptom: brain zaps. Each zap lasted about 0.5 seconds, and seemed to be triggered by "mild sensory overloads", e.g., entering a room with different lighting conditions. The zaps were not painful at all, just confusing and (initially) frightening. Upon resuming the drug, the zaps disappeared as quickly as they had appeared (~20 h).
Comments:   Treatment was initiated by a general practictioner for self-reported tiredness and panic attacks. The next appointment was in two weeks. Since there were no continuing side effects, and the drug seemed effective, we decided to continue it for at least 6 months. I have now been taking it for 3 months.

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of Around 2 years
Other drugs taken:   Just Microgynon

Benefits:   Placebo effects, I thought it was helping at first
Side effects:   Turned me into a zombie, incaple of feeling pleasure or any positive emotions at all.
Comments:   I took the pills for around two years then heard on the news that many anti-depressants were no more effective than placebo. I decided to stop taking them, I weaned myself off over a few weeks. After this time I was a new person, the world felt real again, I was no longer plodding through life in a daze, I was so much happier, the things I used to enjoy I started to enjoy again. I am extremely angry that I cannot get back those years that I was taking various anti-depressants that turned me into a zombie who did not care about anything or anyone. I understand everyone is different and these may work for some people, but for me these drugs ruined my life, if you are taking them you could be missing out on so much, please consider whether they are doing more harm than good!

Lexapro review by care giver of 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety, depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 3 1/2 years
Other drugs taken:   Clonazepam as needed, Ritalin during exam periods

Benefits:   Patient was in second year of law school when began taking Lexapro; anxiety lessened as did depression, however didn't improve motivation to study.
Side effects:   Though didn't realize it, till two years later, though was mentioned to patient that he'd gained a lot of weight, which he attributed to weight lifting at gym, he gained thirty pounds. Was a slim, 6 foot 2, 160 pounds when began taking the drug.
Comments:   Was prescribed Lexapro by primary provider after patient revealed to doctor very unhappy at law school and thinking about quitting. He felt better, anger, anxiety, depression lessened. However, seem to gloss over the importance of studying and doing the reading and consequently, was behind when the exam period came and had to go on Ritalin to get through this period.

Lexapro review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression and Generalized Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 mg (started on 10 mg) taken 1 time per day for the period of 2 months
Other drugs taken:   Allergy prescriptions

Benefits:   I sought treatment for two problems in my life: my temper with my daughter and my lack of motivation. This drug really helped me to control my temper. In fact, the temper became nonexistent. I used to yell a lot and stopped completely within two weeks of being on this medication. However, this was the only benefit I experienced.
Side effects:   I gained 15 pounds, which my doctor swears was not related to the medication. BUT - I have always struggled to GAIN weight - I weighed 95 pounds in college and finally got up to a healthy 115 with a lot of hard work. In just the two months of being on Lexapro, I went up to 130. Not being able to fit into any of my clothes during summer is NOT helping my depression. Immediately upon beginning to take Lexapro, I felt "high" for about two weeks. My doctor says "that shouldn't happen because of the medication." Well, I wasn't doing any other drugs, so I don't know what to tell you there. Possibly the worst side effect I experienced was a DECREASE in motivation. If you read above, you may have noticed that one of the two reasons I sought treatment was to increase my motivation. I had a hard time keeping my house clean and getting started on tasks. Well, within two weeks of starting this medication, I began needing long naps (3+ hours) every day just to function. I watched TV for the rest of the day. I had no interest in work and basically messed around all day instead of working. It was a severe decrease in motivation. Also, I had no sex drive and was unable to orgasm.
Comments:   I missed an appointment with my doctor and was not able to get a refill, so I have been off the Lexapro for a week. In that time, I no longer needed to take naps and although I still procrastinate, it's back to the "pre-Lexapro" levels of procrastination, not the terrible levels I experienced while on the drug. My temper did come back, though. The withdrawals caused me to be so nauseous that I began throwing up and have had migraines ever since I stopped taking it. (Again, my doctor said "This medication shouldn't do that. Maybe you have the flu.") Last night, though, I had great sex with my husband and was able to orgasm easily. Needless to say, at my doctor's appointment today I asked to be switched and will begin Wellbutrin right away. (Oh, and I fired that doctor.)

Lexapro review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   15 or 20 mg / day taken daily for the period of going on 5 years
Other conditions:   acne
Other drugs taken:   sulfacet-r topical for acne

Benefits:   Taking Lexapro has become a staple in my life. I come from an extremely depressed family history including suicide in the family and extreme bi-polar disorder in my father. Without some kind of anti-depressant I literally cannot sleep at night due to low positive brain chemicals causing me to wake every few hours and have a very hard time falling asleep. Therefore I take 15 mg prophylactically of Lexapro long-term. I would rather not be on anything at all but unfortunately have tried that in the past without success. I do think this drug can be very good if it helps you, though it is not a cure all by any means.
Side effects:   The side effects for me included slightly lowered sex drive but not completely gone and climax is still possible. I am drowsier on this drug than I was before and have lost some of my motivation regarding goals and dreams. However, it is worth it to also lose the insomnia and crying spells.
Comments:   I have tried 20 mg per day in divided doses (10 mg a.m. and 10 mg before bed at night) as well as 15 mg per day administered once in the morning. I prefer the 15 mg although the 20 does work a little better as long as I divide the doses. I am staying at 15 because I would like to take as small a dose as possible while still managing my depression symptoms. I was happier overall on 20 mg however. Oddly enough, taking 20 mg once in the morning rather than divided into a.m. and p.m. seemed to make my depression worse and I found myself crying more. All in all the best for me is 20 mg with half in the morning and half at night. However, for long term use I prefer to take 15 mg just once per day at night.

Lexapro review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   major depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months, still taking it

Benefits:   Before Lexapro I was so depressed I could not function. I forced myself to work, and would come home exhausted. I had suicidal ideation and severe anxiety. I had "bouts" of depression before, but was never treated. My separation and death of my Mother and loss of my job in one years time pushed me past what I could get myself out of. I was irritable, unsociable, had no desire to eat (lost 50 lbs that I could stand to lose in 6 months), cried all the time. I started Lexapro 3 months ago, almost 4. I began at 10 mg and it was upped to 20 mg. I feel like I am starting to have my life back. I laugh again (genuinely). I can get up for work, I can socialize. I still have days where I feel like crying and am very scared.. but it passes quickly. I have almost regained my general sense of optimism again. (I was always happy go lucky). I have NO ideation anymore.Lexapro is giving me my life back. It is like someone cleaned a really dirty window. I can see things more clearly now and do not ruminate as much as I did or have guilt feelings that are inappropriate. It saved my life.
Side effects:   I have some difficulty sleeping (waking up in the night). Sometimes I have diarrhea, but not enough so it stops me from taking it. I have not had any weight gain, but do feel bloated sometimes. Once in awhile I get a weird high feeling which passes very quickly.
Comments:   I have found that I have to take it at night because of the sedating effect it seems to have on me, but that is not a problem. I was on 10 mg, and ramped up to 20 mg fairly quickly, which was like a shock to my body.. that 3 or 4 days were like a haze, but I stuck with it and it passed. I am on it for almost 4 months now and I am feeling much more like myself.

Lexapro review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   OCD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 3+ years
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin

Benefits:   Wanting to be drug free, I weened myself off of the Wellbutrin, but found that I could not happily function without the Lexapro. When I tried to lower (self medicate) the dosage, my racing and repeating thoughts came back really strong. I started counting again, repeating sentences in my head, singing song verses over and over in my head, replaying conversations over in my head, etc. Being back on the 20mg keeps me feeling normal and only in very stressful situations do I start obsessing/repeating.
Side effects:   I didn't experience any side effects. I purposely did not read what the potential side effects might be, as I tend to "develop" whatever I read about.
Comments:   The initial treatment involved the medication and weekly therapy sessions. A year into the treatment, I was able to scale the therapy back to "as needed" appointments, a year later I went off of the Wellbutrin and now feel pretty healthy just on the Lexapro.

Lexapro review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   going through menopause

Benefits:   After the first few DAYS my anxiety was greatly reduced. I felt less depressed and did not feel prone to panic attacks that I had been having prior to starting this medication. I was very pleased with the reduced anxiety and depression.
Side effects:   At first I had some mild nausea, which went away and then I didn't have any side effects. This medication did not make me gain weight and it did not lower my sex drive- both which were concerns for me.
Comments:   The medication worked great, and I would have rated it a 10 except getting OFF the medication was difficult. For six-eight weeks I had what I've come to learn are called brain zaps... a strange sensation that is difficult to describe and not pleasant. Lucky for me I had read about this so it did not scare me... otherwise I would have been very concerned. I pretty much just rode it out for those 6-8 weeks and then it went away and I've been fine. If I had to do it over I would still have chosen to take the lexapro because is was so effective for my anxiey/depression which was off the charts when I started.

Condition / reason:   General depression/perimenopause
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once per day for the period of Two years and still taking
Other conditions:   Seasonal allergies
Other drugs taken:   Flonase

Benefits:   Started taking this drug for two reasons - peri-menopausal symptoms (mood swings) and depression experienced after going through hurricane Katrina. After 2-3 weeks of starting, noticed my temperament was much more even and felt better able to cope with daily stress and stay motivated.
Side effects:   Fortunately, none for me. I know this type of drug can cause sexual side effects and weight gain, but I have had no issues here. The only thing I noticed was the very first week I took it I was a bit sleepy/groggy during the day, but this went away once I adjusted.
Comments:   Started out with a very low dose, 5mg/day for the first month, then moved up to 10 mg/day which is my present dose. The full dose is actually 20mg/day, but I feel I am getting the results I need with 10mg, so there is no need to increase the dosage and risk any adverse side effects.

Lexapro review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety depression
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken day for the period of six month
Other conditions:   menopause
Other drugs taken:   estrogen patch

Benefits:   Absolutely none. This drug destroyed my marriage. I was so irrationally angry over really stupid stuff. I was raging at my husband for no reason. And it made our marriage crazy to the point that we separated and divorced. I have been told this drug does cause anger in perfectly normal people and that it is like being on speed or cocaine. I would pull this drug from the market.
Side effects:   Irrational Rage. It has nothing to do with my mental state but the fact that the drug does this to everyone. You have to let it build up in your system because your body is trying to reject a poison. You become addicted. No different than cocaine or speed freaks. It is such a lie.
Comments:   Once a day. I was drooling as I slept. When I could sleep. I was edgy all the time. I was in a brain fog. And nobody knew that I wasn't crazy. This damn drug was making me crazy. I told my stupid shrink that I needed to be calmer and he gave me speed. I told him I was getting irrationally upset and he doubled the dose. I have been seriously depressed and screwed up emotionally and physically for three years. I want to sue the drug company. All the other comments on this blog were written by drug reps.

Lexapro review by 62 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 daily for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   hyporthroyid
Other drugs taken:   stynthroid

Benefits:   I had hit the wall dealing with work, cllients,and family. My general physician asked me to see a therapist to help get me going in the right direction. After one meeting it was recommended by both caregivers that I take something to help me get through this rough spot. After about 3 weeks I started feeling like things were easier to cope with and I was making good decisions and getting things done again.
Side effects:   The only side effect I believe is some weight gain, approximately 10 pounds!!!!!
Comments:   I take 1 lexapro daily. I have finished up with the therapist. I am feeling great.

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a month for the period of 2 days
Other conditions:   biploar
Other drugs taken:   lithum

Benefits:   It was suspose to help ease my depression issues that happend when the biploar side of me was not in hyper. It was a new drug it was suspose to be very effeect. Not cause any weight gain. With very little side effects.
Side effects:   I had very bads nightmares for about two nights. The nightmare wre of me hurting my family. I could see myself killing my family it seemed so very real to me I have never experienced any thing like that before in my life. I told my husband to stay up and please watch me to make sure do not do any thing.So I did not take them any more
Comments:   I was to take one 10mg pill at night before I go to bed every night. It did not matter if it was taken with food or with out food. Either way was fine. I had to take it at the same time every night. I was not suspose ot stop treatment unless my doctor said it was ok.

Lexapro review by 27 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   2.5mg taken once a day for the period of current
Other conditions:   anxiety, CFS, OCD.
Other drugs taken:   valium, xanax

Benefits:   I'm taking better care of myself and my appearance. I'm interacting with people and don't feel so detached from others. I'm starting to look forward to things again after feeling numb for so long. Minimal side effects and only lasted a few days. I couldn't tolerate any other anti-D's that I tried because of side effects.
Side effects:   Minimal but after 3 days I felt nauseas, queezy, fatigued and a bit 'out of it' and numb/detached. The nausea only lasted a week but the fatigue hung around for a while. Now it's lifting thankfully. No weight changes at all.
Comments:   I was skeptical that depression even existed so delayed my psych's advice in taking it for a year. Got to the point I felt so bad I admitted I had a problem and began a small dose of 1/4 tablet once a day. That's all I need for now too. I feel completely different from how I did 3 months ago - I have a personality again! The low days aren't so low and don't paralyze me anymore. My appetite is normal again after having none for months. The only weight I put on is what I lost and that's because I'm feeling better and have my appetite back. Still underweight but I'm on the way to being healthy again. I feel more alive and positive. I don't feel so withdrawn, guilty and ashamed for no reason. It's not a miracle pill and you have to do the work to get there but Lexapro is helping me to 'get there'. I'll take it for as long as I need to. Find a good Dr and PLEASE listen to them and take it if you need to. Don't live in misery because of the stigma society sometimes puts on mental health issues. Screw society and put your mental health first!

Lexapro review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken once a day for the period of Been taking it for 3 years
Other conditions:   mild depression

Benefits:   Before taking Lexapro, I had constant anxiety. I wasn't haveing panic attacks on a regular basis, but I was having them one in awhile. My anxiety presented itself more in constant worrying, waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall asleep, and feeling tired but restless all the time. I was moody and impatient, and obsessed about little, insignificant things all of the time. Once I started taking Lexapro, that all changed. It did all go away completely, but i can manage the slight symptoms I experience now. I am much happier, much more stable, but more successful in my life. I know others on it (my husband), and they have experienced the same kind of success.
Side effects:   I have never experienced any side effects. I take it every morning and it's like taking an asprin...you don't notice any type of change. If I miss my dose a few days in a row, I notice my behavior changes and I get moody and worry-some, but it takes a few days to experience that.
Comments:   I have taken 10 mg a day, every day, for the last 3 years. It took a few weeks for the medicine to take effect (about 2) and the chance was gradual, but one day i woke up and noticed that I felt normal. It has been wonderful for me and I am very thankful I have access to it.