Levoxyl (Levothyroxine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Levoxyl (Levothyroxine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 24 ratings/reviews, Levoxyl has an overall score of 7.21. The effectiveness score is 7.92 and the side effect score is 8.17. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Levoxyl review by 63 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   low thyroid levels
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2years

Benefits:   weight loss, more energy
Side effects:   hair loss at first. subsided after a few months
Comments:   take one pill each morning on an empty stomach with a large glass of water. each 3 months have blood test to determine the need to increase or decrease the medicines dose.

Levoxyl review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   100 mcg (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of several years
Other drugs taken:   cytomel - 25 mgg/day

Benefits:   According to thyroid tests that I take every year, the combination of levothyroxine and cytomel are keeping my hypothyroid under control.
Side effects:   None that I am aware of.
Comments:   It took some trial and error to find the right combination of drugs to treat my hypothyroid, but once we started the combo of levothyroxine and cytomel, my tests show that everything is under control. I take the one pill of each one first thing in the morning with lots of water before eating anything. I have to wait 30 minutes before I eat breakfast. The hardest part is that I have to wait 2 hours before I take any calcium pills, which means I often forget to take my calcium.

Levoxyl review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid problem
Dosage & duration:   0..150mg taken once a day for the period of 35 yrs so far

Benefits:   made me feel normal
Side effects:   none
Comments:   i have to take a peel every morning at the same time.if i dont and i forget i get tired its a different kind of tired though.once they stopped giving me the pill for 7 weeks and my hair started falling out i was lethargik i thought i was moving fast but i was moving very slow.i bloated up,i started to think kind of weird.i wanted to sleep all the time i was a real mess.so i take the medication consistantley the best i can.

Levoxyl review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   100 (dosage frequency: once daily before breakfast) for the period of two years
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   dyazide

Benefits:   Less fatigue, less weight unaccountable weight gain, less hair fall-out.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   The only difficulty taking this is that one has to wait thirty minutes before eating or drinking in the morning. Therefore I take it upon first waking up - immediately. Or sometimes I take it and go back to bed if I am awake early.

Levoxyl review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   lethergy
Dosage & duration:   10mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   nil
Other drugs taken:   nil

Benefits:   I got up and felt better in the morning, then as the day went on I felt more and more lethargic so I dont know if I was taking the right amount or if it was the drug. I then took it twice a day but it did not seem to help my lethargy
Side effects:   bone aches
Comments:   1 daily

Levoxyl review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothroidism
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken once daily for the period of 13 years

Benefits:   I had developed panic attacks and depression. I had other symptoms such as small weight gain, hair thinning, very tired and slept allot. The doctor originally thought that I simply had depression so she prescribed an anit-depressant. After about a year things still were not right. So she did a thyroid panel. She quicky got me on a regular dosage and the panic and depression went away along with most of the other symptoms.
Side effects:   No side affects from the treatment that I can think of.
Comments:   Take one pill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and wait at least an hour to eat.

Levoxyl review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   88mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of year
Other drugs taken:   multivitamin

Benefits:   Alleviation of symptoms associated with hypothyroidism: weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, and so on. Further, medication was taken during pregnancy with no apparent ill effects to the fetus, and with the benefit of carrying to term with none of the adverse effects associated with hypothyroidism and pregnancy.
Side effects:   Did not note any side effects.
Comments:   Treatment of hypothyroidism is simple: one pill per day provides the thyroid hormones lacking. Furthermore, brand-name drugs are inexpensive, even when paid for out of pocket.

Levoxyl review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   125mcg (dosage frequency: 1/day) for the period of ongoing

Benefits:   The drug reduced symptoms of tiredness and moodiness. Hair loss was also seemed to improve.
Side effects:   none known
Comments:   Pill taken 1/day for life. Dosage must be monitored over time and may need to be adjusted. May take several different dosages to be tried before optimal perscription is determined for your body. Also, in filling the perscription specify non-generic.

Levoxyl review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   125MCG (dosage frequency: 1xday) for the period of 5yrs

Benefits:   Treatment benefits are stabilized thyroid. Was having a weight issue, and with a blood test it was determined that the thyroid gland was "sluggish". I was very exhausted also and it has helped somewhat with fatigue.
Side effects:   dosing is extremely important as it takes many blood tests to determine correct dosage. Not having the dosage quite right will basically result in the same symptoms that you are having issues with. I have suffered basically no significant side effects other than that.
Comments:   Pill is taken early in the morning on an empty stomach. It is basically prescription iodine as hypothyroidism is basically an iodine deficiency. Symptoms that I experienced were basically weight gain and extreme fatigue. It's taken awhile to get the dosage correct, and after switching pharmacies and getting a different drug manufactured by another company, I feel that maybe another blood test is necessary to confirm that the new pills are as effective as the others I had been taking for 5 years.

Levoxyl review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Low thyroid production
Dosage & duration:   88 mgr taken daily for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   glucosamine

Benefits:   After 2 years of treating hypothydoidism with 100 mgr dose, the patient was able to lower the dose to 88 mgr per day. Thyroid levels are now normal.
Side effects:   No side effects have been observed so far.
Comments:   Started 4 years ago with a 100 mgr dose and after 2 years of daily use changed to 88 mgr due to a positive effect of the drug. Besides taking levothyroxine, the patient is also practicing yoga exercises that stimulate thyroid gland.

Levoxyl review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Low thyroid
Dosage & duration:   .0125mg taken daily for the period of 25 yrs
Other drugs taken:   Lovstatin

Benefits:   Adjusted thyroid levels.
Side effects:   None noticed
Comments:   After pregnancy my thyroid levels became too low and my thyroid gland became enlarged. The same problem had affected my mother. Once I got on the medication, my levels became consistant and my thyroid gland returned to a normal size. Without proper levels of thyroid I have very low energy levels.

Levoxyl review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   75 micrograms (dosage frequency: everyday) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   treatment of low thyroid state and low metabolic state
Side effects:   none
Comments:   As above for hypothyroidism taking medication for three years, no side effects were observed except for some hyperthyroid symptoms when dosage was being adjusted. For example when pregnant and endogenous thyroid hormone production increases, needed to be on lower dose which was adjusted with measurement of TSH.

Levoxyl review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   100mcg (dosage frequency: 1 tab daily) for the period of ongoing treatment

Benefits:   Initially I had Graves, then became hypothryoid post-treatment. While hypothyroid I gained weight, had hair loss, was fatigued, cold and miserable. Getting on a correct dose of thyroid replacement is great. My hair returned, I became more fit and active.
Side effects:   When on too much levothyroxine I was jittery, had weight loss and was emotional. If I had too little I had difficulty with bloating and fatigue. It was certainly a drug that had to be monitored and adjusted based on lab levels and side effects.
Comments:   I began replacement with 250mcg each day. I rather quickly had difficulty with rapid heart rate, dry hair and skin, emotionalness that wasn't true to me. It took several months of monitoring blood levels of thyroid hormone, monitoring syptoms and adjusting doses to find a right dose for me. I've been stable on my current dose for 3 years.

Levoxyl review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   under active thyroid
Dosage & duration:   0.1mg taken once a day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   unable to sleep
Other drugs taken:   ativan

Benefits:   I had tons more energy, better sleep, my brittle hair and dry skin improved ,cold hands and feet were a thing of the past ,but the best part was the fact that my horse voice and persistent sore throat got better,also a feeling of well being which I didn't have before taking them , I felt I had control of my life again.
Side effects:   there were absolutly no side affects , I didn't have a dry mouth as I know some other medication can cause , no upset stomach , sickness ,or dizzyness.
Comments:   1 pill every morning taken with water on an empty stomach, I didn't eat for about half hour after taking the medication , also I made sure I didn't drink it with grapefruit juice ,

Levoxyl review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 1/day for the period of ongoing

Benefits:   My hair had been falling out, and it finally stopped after taking this for a while. Now it is growing back and getting thicker. Before I was always cold and my hands would even get numb from being so cold all the time. Now I am finally warm and don't have to wear a sweater in the summer.
Side effects:   After I take it in the morning I feel nauseous unless I eat something when I take it. It is recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, so sometimes I do this, but feel queasy for an hour or so.
Comments:   This is something that I will probably continue to take. Even though it makes me a bit nauseous, the benefits greatl outweigh the risks for me. It is so nice to be able to be warm again, and for my hair to be growing back.

Levoxyl review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   300 micrograms (dosage frequency: 1x/day) for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   asthma, arthritis, barrett's esophagus
Other drugs taken:   Nexium 40mg, 1X/day (2X/day PRN)

Benefits:   Only real success of the treatment has been that I stopped "zoning" out into a semi-conscious state. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE results relating to depression, weight gain, pain in joints & muscles, and fatigue.
Side effects:   Difficult to maintain effective absorption because I also have to take antacids for Barrett's esophagus. Why, since absorption is so critical, is there not a patch administration for this medication? Also experience heart palpitations.
Comments:   Initial dosage 15 years ago was 150 micrograms/day. Increased steadily for first 5 years to 300 micrograms/day. Has remained at 300 micrograms per day for last 10 years.

Levoxyl review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Thyroid Disease
Dosage & duration:   150 mcg (dosage frequency: 1 x day) for the period of 8 yrs.

Benefits:   The benefits I received from treatment with this Unihroid drug was that my thyroid hormone levels fell back within normal range according to the many thyroid hormone profile blood tests, TSH, T3 etc. which was ordered by thyroid specialist. Another benefit from Unithroid drug was that the goiter which I had developed prior to Unithroid treatment which had become increasingly larger had finally gone down to the point that my neck actually looked normal again.
Side effects:   My freaking hair has fallen out to the point that I am almost bald in front and around the front edges of my hair. My hair has been falling out since I began treatment with Unithroid and continues to shed today. My hair is practically bald in front and the hair on the the top and back of my head has fallen out so much that the once extremely thick hair I had is now thin, and breaks easily. From the hundreds of complaints I keep reading from other thyroid patients on the web, it appears that I am not alone in my dilemma, but to date, myself and the other hundreds of thyroid patients complaining of the same problem have yet to find a safe natural hair product to grow back hairloss from thyroid disease. Other side effects are sometimes depending on what I eat or the time of day, my pulse starts racing.
Comments:   Not sure theres much to describe. I had a noticeable goiter and went to get it checked. My previous thyroid doctor gave me an iodine uptake scan, took my bloodwork and diagnosed me with Hashimotos disease. Thyroid doctor said the best thing was to let my thyroid burn itself out and then he would put me on thyroid medicine, something I now feel was a mistake and should not have been done. Per my initial thyroid doctor, Hashimotos is sometimes hard to stabilize, thus, the Unithroid drug dosage I initially received .75 mcg had to be re-adjusted several times during the first year in order to stabilize my thyroid levels. Dosage was increased to 100 mcg. then to 125 mcg. then increased to 150 mcg. At some point, during these adjustments I went to another thyroid doctor who prescribed the T3 drug called Cytomel which gave me violent heart palpitations and I was taken off of this drug. The last Unithroid prescription dosage re-adustment I was given was for 150 mcg. 1xday 6 days wk with 1/2 dosage to be taken on Sundays. Medication to be taken on an empty stomach every morning. Last year, my body became Toxic to the Unithroid as I hadn't been to see the doctor in a while and had to be taken off the medication entirely for several days. Was restarted at a low dose of 50 mcg. because the toxicity had caused my pulse to race abnormally interupting my daily activities. This dosage was gradually increased I am now being treated with a Unithroid dosage of 125 mcg. For whatever reason, this survey is being taken, it would be a blessing to myself and so many others if for once someone would develop a natural alternative to drugs like Unithroid, Synthroid etc. other than the natural alternatives on the market that are derived from Pigs glands considering more people than not today do not intake pork products of any kind.

Levoxyl review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   thyroid
Dosage & duration:   0.100mg taken one a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   fluoxetine

Benefits:   calm. The reason that I went to the doctor was my son at 19 just reached full blown schizophrenia. I was trying to find out his drastic change in behavior for about 4 years taking him to different doctors. I drug tested him-none- alcohol-none. My son was not the son I had raised. Started psychiatry doctors and diagnosed with chronic paranoid schizophrenia. Medication was prescribed.
Side effects:   My son and family were working on the daily struggle with him and medication. Everyone was struggling. I was out of control.
Comments:   3- 20mg tablets a day. Taking the prozac helped me get myself back together and get on with my life. The medication I have taken for little more than ten years. My family is strong and we are together making good. Very slow but all going in the right direction. My choice of going for help was needed. The family is working on their own challenges.

Levoxyl review by care giver of 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   50-75mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 9years
Other drugs taken:   supplements/vitamins

Benefits:   Started taking this drug in 2002 due to a high TSh reading, asymptomatic. Took it for 8 years raising my dose after about 5years from 50 mcg to75 mcg. Six months ago I developed panic attacks,speediness,anxiety,gastric issues,dizziness very suddenly with a sudden drop in my TSH from a steady 1.8-2.0 to as low as .20. Continued to take the Levoxyl but dropped dosage back to 50mcg and hope to become asymtomatic shortly. Take Xanax for the panic attacks as needed. Am hoping to perhaps supplement the T4 with T3 Cytomel or something for the depression.
Side effects:   See above
Comments:   Above

Levoxyl review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   .88mcg (dosage frequency: 1 x a day) for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   Lethargy, moodiness, achiness, depression
Other drugs taken:   Daily vitamin, Calcium D3 andC

Benefits:   None, took Armour for 17 years, felt great. New Dr. wouldn't prescribe Armour. Finally am back on Armour 1 gram or .60mcg per day. I feel like a new person in just 5 days. More energy, more positive, sugar cravings stopped. Over all feel 100% better. As far as I am concerned that Dr. took 6 years out of my life. New Female Dr. finally put me back on Armour. It was unavailable for almost a year. I think it was all about money. Armour is less costly and moree effective.
Side effects:   Levoxyl did nothing for me. I felt flat. lack of energy and spirit.
Comments:   I took mcg. of Levoxyl for 6 years after being on Armour Thyroid for 17 years. Nodules grew back and did not feel like my self. Back on Armour for just 5 days and feel so much better. INSIST ON GETTING ARMOUR. FORGET LEVOXYL AND SYTHROID. THOSE DRUGS DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

Levoxyl review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50mcg (dosage frequency: 1/day) for the period of 8 years
Other conditions:   Depression

Benefits:   Improved metabolism, decreased depression, increased energy, decreased hair loss, and improved finger/toenail condition.
Side effects:   There were no side effects.
Comments:   I have been taking Levoxyl for 7 years. In that time, I have had no problems with depression and was able to cease taking an antidepressant. My metabolism is regular. I have no problems with fatigue.

Levoxyl review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I am not sure if it was levothyroxine that helped to normalise the hormone levels. It's kind of strange, as they've only were back in range, when i stopped taking l-thyroxine.
Side effects:   Sudden and enormous increase in appetite, weight gain, i gained 10 kg, my belly seemed inflated all the time; Constipation; Mood swings;
Comments:   L-Thyroxine was supposed to increase the low production of thyroid hormones, which was a result of hypothyroidism, as well as to help lower the number of antithyroid antibodies (which indicate the autoimmune disease that may be damaging the thyroid gland). Levothyroxine (25 mcg)was taken 3060 minutes before breakfast daily, for almolst 2 years. The doctor told me, that i should take it as long as i live. However, the levels of thyroid hormones have changed dramatically when i stopped taking l-thyroxine, they were in absolutely normal range, which showed, that i do not need to be on l-thyroxine anymore.

Levoxyl review by 56 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   75 mcg (dosage frequency: 1/day) for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   allergies, high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   Hypothyroidism was already causing me to gain weight, this garbage accelerated the weight gain. I eat one fish fillet or chicken breast/day, nothing else, now gaining 3-6 lbs./month! Since I can't find a Dr. who will treat my T3 I'm ordering Cytomel online, from what I've read it's the ticket to eliminate hypo symptoms. Shame on physicians who treat lab results rather than the patient. I don't care what the numbers are, I still feel awful!
Side effects:   FAT
Comments:   Doesn't work! It's the T3!

Levoxyl review by 36 year old female patient