Klonopin (Clonazepam) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Klonopin (Clonazepam) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 17 ratings/reviews, Klonopin has an overall score of 6.47. The effectiveness score is 7.53 and the side effect score is 6.94. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Klonopin review by 33 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   2mg taken three times daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   obesity
Other drugs taken:   lessina

Benefits:   decreased anxiety less insomnia
Side effects:   none
Comments:   one pill three times daily, including at beditime to facilitate sleep

Klonopin review by 61 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   0.5mg taken 2-3x daily for the period of about a year
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   none for these conditions

Benefits:   The drug has a very long half life and because of that property there is a long, smooth sustained effect of the drug. I did not feel highs or lows and hardly knew I was taking it except it helped my anxiety.
Side effects:   occasional dry mouth
Comments:   I could not take any anti-depressant medications. I tried them all but had terrible side effects. My doctor is extremely good with medication therapy for depression and anxiety and decided I have a serotonin sensitivity and so put me on this drug which works on a different endorphin pathway called gabba. I have had terrific success on it and although it too has addictive properties like other Diazapenes, I have not had to increase my dose at all therefore he doesn't think true physiological dependence is developing.

Klonopin review by 23 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Generalized anxiety disorder
Dosage & duration:   .25mg - .50mg taken x2/day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Chronic pain, depression
Other drugs taken:   Various SSRIs, Welbutrin

Benefits:   Very good at relieving anxiety. Good at generally calming me down and 'leveling me out' to make functioning easier. Helps a little to relax muscle tension. Calming effect makes an excellent sleep aid.
Side effects:   Fatigue can sometimes be excessive. High dependency.
Comments:   Used for general anxiety and as an adjunct for depression and chronic pain. Very good at alleviating any anxiety and jittery feelings. 'Levels out' my mood but doesn't cause euphoria; I have no desire to take more than I need. However I am very dependent on it; if I stop taking it for a couple of days I have bad nervousness and jitteryness, tachycardia, sweating, and other anxiety symptoms. If I wanted to discontinue I would have to do _very_ slowly, but this is the nature of long-term benzodiazepine treatment.

Klonopin review by 23 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   1mg taken daily for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   anxiety, depression
Other drugs taken:   effexor

Benefits:   It has the effect of major Reduction in anxiety, it produces alot of calmness, able to function properly, they pills cured insomnia, it made me get less sever panic attacks, reduction and or elimination of panic attacks, it improveded mood.It was the best drug for panic attacks
Side effects:   They are very addictive and lose effectiveness over time. You become dependent on them and you need more and more to reduce your anxiety. It is very difficult to get off this drug. It make you gain wait and you have to get off of it eventually. You have to get off them slowly
Comments:   i took the drug for a long time and wit was really amazing and i like it and it was awewesome and it was afucn and it was cool and it was sweet but it was verry addicting and it sohouldnt be used for a long period of time because it losses effectiness over time

Klonopin review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken once a day for the period of one year

Benefits:   Treatment provided the patient with the ability to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep through the entire night
Side effects:   The patient noticed a grogginess in the morning that subsided after approx 10 minutes.
Comments:   Patient was instructed to take .5 mg one hour before bedtime. This was followed during the week nights and was immediately effectively.

Klonopin review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .5mg taken daily for the period of 5 years
Other drugs taken:   depakote

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Impossible to stop taking; had to do a Librium switch to get off this drug. The withdrawal is horrid, and there are tons of people suffering because of this.
Comments:   I had post-partum anxiety/depression, and was misdiagnosed with Bipolar with a post-partum onset. The Klonopin was prescribed for anxiety; a long term anxiety reducer. I saw little to no benefit. I was later rediagnosed by another doctor who said I absolutely did not have Bipolar, and slowly took me off my meds (5 years ago), which I'd been taking for six years. All drugs were easy to get off slowly, with the exception of Klonopin, which was hideous. The only way to get this drug out of my system was to do a Klonopin/Librium switch...and the Librium was very easy to get off of, thank goodness!

Klonopin review by 38 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   Insommnia
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken most nights for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   Low dose doxepin

Benefits:   Initially did help with sleep. Over time tolerance developed and depression and grogginess ensued.
Side effects:   On attempting to withdraw very severe side effects of withdrawal that lasted over one year: personality changes, anxiety, severe sleeplessness. A disaster!
Comments:   Withdrawal had to be done very slowly over several months. I would NEVER use benzodiazepines ever again. They are for single use only. Have since learned that even after a few days use there can be rebound effects. These drugs are dangerous. Period.

Klonopin review by 44 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Substitute for a barbiturate
Dosage & duration:   2mg taken three times daily for the period of ten years
Other drugs taken:   Xanax

Benefits:   Much less anxiety. Was able to nearly stop taking Xanax for breakthrough anxiety and panic. Was able to sleep well and did not need to take Tuinal.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I was up to five 2mg Xanax per day due to panic and was frequently having to take between 100 and 200mg of Tuinal every night just to sleep. Then, after ten years the miracle happened: I was prescribed Klonopin 2mg twice daily, with Xanax 1mg up to twice daily only if needed for panic. Clonazepam seems to be a nice adjuctive therapy for panic attacks and insomnia.

Klonopin review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   TIA type Seizures, Stress
Dosage & duration:   .05 (dosage frequency: 3x daily) for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   Aggrenox/Lovastatin 10mg

Benefits:   None. I went from 140lbs down to 98lbs. I did have reoccuring episodes (TIA like - diagnosed as TIA for lack of conclusive evidence or further investigation) I now believe it was mostly stress and menopause related issues.
Side effects:   I do not know that all side effects were attributable to the Clonozapam alone or a combination of one or all drugs. I did take just the Clonozapm and Lovastatin the first year. Regardless, everytime I looked up a symptom on the web, it always pointed to MS. My Neurologist did say we should investigate it, but we never did. Anyway, I could not sleep for days on end, I had excessive hand tremors, voice tremors, unsteady gait, tintinnitus, eyesight problems, urinary problems, memory problems and a bunch more I can't even recall at the moment. I weaned myself off the medicine in 3 months time and am very much improved but only after months and possibly years of being removed from all the problems. I'd like to mention that at one point in time I took the cholesterol drug that Dr. Jarvis promotes...I can't remember the name and had to quit within the first week as it gave me pains in the front of my thighs that could take your breath away. I know for a fact that that symptom was in fact attributable to that drug. A good effect that came from that drug though was the almost immediate shrinkage of my breast cysts...I had many on both sides. Upon starting on that drug, I could actually feel them draining, dissapating or whatever you might call it. They have not returned, so I am very thankful for that aspect of the drug. Because of the leg pain though, I found it intolerable.
Comments:   I am not sure what you mean as I already told you that I was being treated for TIA like seizures with the Clonozapam and Aggrenox as a blood thinner for the same. I also took Lovastatin for High Cholesterol. In the course of all these medications I ended up getting a divorce. The drugs did not lower my cholesterol... they made me more nervous and made me question what on earth was wrong with me? I now weigh more than I ever have, and I started to gain wieght almost immediately after getting off of the drugs. I could use to lose 20lbs, but I am not worried about it as I am so much healthier than I was during the time I was on all of the drugs. I hope this has helped you in some way. I am sorry that I can't be more specific, but I am in a hurry to put all of that behind me and build a healthier - drug free future. I am very much a proponent of natural medicines these days!

Klonopin review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .50mg taken 1/4 in am and 1/2 in evwning for the period of still using
Other conditions:   Panic disorder
Other drugs taken:   10mg Prozac daily

Benefits:   Reduce anxiety and panic. Able to ride subways and go into crowded areas without fear of panic attack flying is now much easier because the fair of having a panic attack is not there
Side effects:   Very mild tiredness but once dose is worked out side effects are slight
Comments:   cbt plus meds

Klonopin review by 39 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .05 (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of 15
Other drugs taken:   Lemactol OCT

Benefits:   I felt relaxed, could sleep, good drug to be lazy on. If I felt panicky and wanted to relax I could. I don't have alot of benefits to say because I think the grouchiness outweighs the good side effects to me!
Side effects:   Very grouchy! To the point I wanted to argue with people. Just felt on edge, relaxed if I laid around but get up and do something just mean and grouchy! I seem to want to eat more too when I first started it. Not when taken but craved sweets.
Comments:   1/2 a pill twice daily for 20 days and 1/2 a pill when anxious. This treatment was to make sure I didn't get panicky and could relax. I did feel relaxed but grouchy!

Klonopin review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken 1x/day for the period of 3 mos.
Other conditions:   None.
Other drugs taken:   None.

Benefits:   The drug worked exactly as prescribed; my anxiety was reduced. Heart palpitations were lessened in frequency and running thoughts were ceased. I was able to fall asleep more quickly because I wasn't as consumed by worries. In fact, I found myself able to do things that before I wasn't able of doing, like having conversations with irritating family members.
Side effects:   I felt very depressed on the days after I'd taken the medicine. The anxiety was always replaced with depression.
Comments:   I was given a RX and I took one pill once a day for three months. I then stopped treatment because I realized I would rather have a good amount of anxiety than be depressed walking around. I have anxiety, but I'm a basically happy person.

Klonopin review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic disorder
Dosage & duration:   .5 (dosage frequency: 2 x's day) for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   Prozac

Benefits:   I immediately stopped having panic attacks. It really was miraculous, as they were becoming more and more frequent and severe. On the combination of klonopin and prozac, I have not experienced a panic attack in 10 years. I simply feel "normal", and am able to go through my days without any feelings of extreme nausea or dizziness, which is how my panic attacks manifested themselves. No longer did I have to leave work early, avoid restaurants and supermarkets, or worry about getting suddenly "sick", for no reason.
Side effects:   I experienced no side effects. I was not tired nor did I feel medicated.
Comments:   I started both klonopin and prozac together. At first, I took klonopin 4 times a day. Then gradually I was able to cut back to twice a day, first thing in the morning and again at dinnertime. I did this very gradually, cutting out first the noontime dosage, and then the bedtime one. I have never had talk-therapy at all. I continue to take klonopin, or the generic clonazapam to this day with no adverse reactions at all.

Klonopin review by 39 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/panic attacks/
Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg taken 2x a day for the period of on clonazepam for a year now
Other conditions:   clinical depression
Other drugs taken:   synthroid, zocor, zoloft

Benefits:   About two years ago Lexapro had totally stopped working and I was trying many different drugs from pristiq, welbutrin, cymbalta, none of which worked. After a few days on welbutrin I experienced the worst panic attack ever. I thought the end was near. I had had them in the past, but nothing like this. It probably lasted only about 5 minutes but seemed an eternity. The rest of that particular day I was completely exhausted. That was a Sunday and the following day my family doctor stopped all my meds and switched me over to clonazepam and zoloft. It's been a year now and I haven't felt this well in a long time. Minimal side effects.
Side effects:   Maybe a little bit of drowsiness from time to time, but other than that nothing else.
Comments:   Just visit the doctor from time to time and take klonopin twice a day and my 200 mgs of zoloft once a day.

Klonopin review by 62 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   2mg daily taken 4 months for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   blurred vision; inability to function on daily basis; 100% grogginess 24/7.
Comments:   Was incorrectly diagnosed with bi-polar. Panic attacks for 20 yrs. During most of the 20 yrs. xanax (alprazolam) was prescribed. Worked great; 100% effective. Was put on clonazepam - worst feeling ever; 2 mg daily, extreme tiredness, couldn't function doing daily activities. Dropped down to 1mg per script; same effect as taking 2mg. Prescribed .05mg; same effect as above. Since learned clonazepam is a sedative medication. Would not recommend to anyone.

Klonopin review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken approx every other night for the period of 18 months
Other drugs taken:   prozac

Benefits:   being able to sleep/decrease anxiety surrounding getting to sleep and staying asleep. Also taken during times of high anxiety. Helped to control anger outbursts and uncontrolled anxiety.
Side effects:   sometimes a hangover effect in the morning if I took it late in the evening and had to get up early. Need about 10 hours to have it leave the system.
Comments:   take as needed for anxiety when going to bed/sleep. I have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep and this medication seemed to take the edge off of my anxiety so that I could fall asleep and then stay asleep. Or at least get back to sleep and not feel startled.

Klonopin review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1mg taken 3x a day for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   Zoloft

Benefits:   Less depression. Had more energy to do things. Able to get involved in activities that I would otherwise not engage in.
Side effects:   Had daytime drowsiness. Constipation. Had to take a stool softner on a daily basis. Lowered my blood pressure a little. Slowed my heartbeat a little bit. Increased appetite. I gained twenty pounds in a little over two years. It slowed my metabolism. I could eat one low calorie meal in a day and not lose one pound.
Comments:   I would see a psychiatrist once a month. The doctor would ask me how I was feeling and would change the dosage if neccesary.