Hydrochlorothiazide (Hydrochlorothiazide) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Hydrochlorothiazide reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 3 ratings/reviews, Hydrochlorothiazide has an overall score of 8. The effectiveness score is 7.33 and the side effect score is 8.67. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Hydrochlorothiazide review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   fluid retention increased BP
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken once daily for the period of two years
Other conditions:   Type2 diabetes
Other drugs taken:   Metformin Lisinopril

Benefits:   Helped with decreasing intermittent fluid retention in ankles and worked in conjunction with BP medication to decrease BP
Side effects:   calf cramps on occasion
Comments:   Took medication daily along with BP med, monitored BP at home. Occasionally have puffy ankles but not as often.

Hydrochlorothiazide review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypertension
Dosage & duration:   25 mg a day taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   bipolar
Other drugs taken:   Lamictal

Benefits:   Decreased blood pressure, decreased cardiac load, decreased kidney load
Side effects:   Increased urine output, potassium deficit
Comments:   Hydrochlorothiazide was prescribed by my doctor as a first line treatment of my mild hypertension (140/90). In addition he recommended exercise, weight loss and dietary restriction of sodium. This drug did lower my blood pressure to 130/90 which he thought was satisfactory for now.

Hydrochlorothiazide review by 63 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   high blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken one a day for the period of 9 years

Benefits:   Reduced the blood pressure with few side effects at first
Side effects:   dehydration - this problem grew as the years passed and I seemed to become more sensitive to the drug. I finally started taking a 1/2 dose. I had dry eyes, constipation, mouth breathing. I would drink too much beer if I started drinking because I was so thirsty. Dry skin became an irritating problem. This problem has improved since I changed medications.
Comments:   The drug was very helpful at first. It improved my concentration, my ability to focus and pay attention increased and I slept better. As the years passed, I became aware that I was in a state of semi-dehydration much of the time. This did not dawn on me until I had taken the drug for over seven years. I started to keep water at my desk and drank a quart and a half on average every day just during the day at work. This helped considerably, but the dry skin and constipation finally lead to my asking the doctor for a change. I am curious if there is any connection between the dehydration and potential dementia.