Fluvoxamine (Fluvoxamine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Fluvoxamine reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Fluvoxamine has an overall score of 8.50. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 9. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Fluvoxamine review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ocd, bipolor disease
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken 100 mg am, 200 mg at bedtime for the period of 7 years
Other conditions:   extreme chronic dysphasia
Other drugs taken:   depakote, wellbutrin

Benefits:   Stopped suicidal thoughts, stopped my constant worrying , my mind felt at peace for the first time in my life
Side effects:   wt. loss at first
Comments:   took about 2 weeks to work and then the results felt miraculous as the constant suicidal thoughts gradually disappeared.

Fluvoxamine review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once per day - pm for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   I have suffered from insomnia off and on for a number of years. Fluvoxamine is an antidepressant and, as I didn't feel depressed, I was a little dubious initially. My GP suggested I try it as I was unwilling to take any sedative-type pills. After the initial start-up period (around two weeks) I found it made a big difference. I now go to bed and sleep normally without any side effects such as drowsiness. My GP suggested that I might have had a level of depression which was affecting my sleep, I don't know, although I do feel better generally as well as sleeping well.
Side effects:   In the first couple of weeks I felt a bit upset in my stomach, otherwise I was fine.
Comments:   I took 100mg Fluvoxamine about an hour before bed each night. I continue to take it nightly.

Fluvoxamine review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety/worry
Dosage & duration:   25 mg taken once daily for the period of 4 mos
Other conditions:   Hormone changes - weaning baby at time

Benefits:   None, especially surprising since the prescription name brand Luvox had been used previously, with great results. The Luvox stopped all ruminations and obsessive worry, while the generic fluvoxamine seemed to do nothing, and did not help with sleep.
Side effects:   Some vague nausea, which was not a problem with the name brand drug.
Comments:   At the time of weaning my second child, I was apparently experiencing some hot flashes/night sweats and worry/ panic and tried fluvoxamine, the generic version of Luvox (which I had used previously by about four years). I had successfully used Luvox and was able to discontinue it without any side effects or symptoms of worry returning. This time only the generic was available to me so I tried it - thinking that it would be the same drug and provide similar results. It did not. I experienced nausea, and did not get any sleep benefits, although I felt that the Luvox had improved my sleep when taken at night; neither version of the drug caused any drowsiness. I did not feel any improvement in symptoms with the generic version. Perhaps my hormones needed to balance on their own, and were too intense for the fluvoxamine to modify. I hope there will be something better available if menopause eventually causes a return of symptoms. Some generics are better than others, and individual reactions differ. It is useful to have this rating information available to access online.

Fluvoxamine review by care giver of 23 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   obsessional thoughts OCD
Dosage & duration:   started on 50 mgs increased to 150mgs taken once per day for the period of a year

Benefits:   within 2 weeks obsessional thoughts were less, so much so that she could return to work, she increased dosage slowly over a few months to maximum 150mgs with marked improvement in her obsessional thinking and she was able to complete a masters degree. After one year slowly decreased dose. Would definately take it again if obsessional thinking returns in the future
Side effects:   some constipation and solomance, but not too severe, the befefits of the drug outweighed these
Comments:   as above