Evista (Raloxifene) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Evista (Raloxifene) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 11 ratings/reviews, Evista has an overall score of 6.82. The effectiveness score is 6.55 and the side effect score is 7.45. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Evista review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high blood levels of thrombisin
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken 1 per day for the period of 3 years and still taking

Benefits:   normal thrombosin level within 6 weeks
Side effects:   none
Comments:   1 pill every morning

Evista review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Ostheoporosis prevention
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken one a day for the period of for five years now
Other drugs taken:   Zetia

Benefits:   Reduce the chance of ostheoporiosis
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Take one evista once per day

Condition / reason:   LOSS OF BONE DENSITY
Dosage & duration:   20MG taken everyday for the period of 5 YEARS
Other conditions:   NONE
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   BONE DENSITY INCREASED. I HAD A BONE SCAN AND SHOWED ON THE BORDER LINE OF OSTEOPEROSIS, (?) WELL AFTER TAKING THIS DRUG, MY BONE MEASUREMENTS INCREASED. NO SIDE EFFECTS AND DEFIENTELY A GOOD MEDICATION FOR US BABY BOOMERS
Side effects:   NONE I DID NOT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECTS, ONLY THAT MAYBE IT WILL HELP TO PREVENT BREAST CANCER, I HAVE A STRONG FAMILY HISTORY, MOTHER, GRANDMOTHER, AUNTS, COUSINS, WHO HAVE DIED OF BREAST CANCER. SO THIS MEDICATION IS A GOOD THING FOR ME.
Comments:   TOOK ONE TABLET A DAY, ALSO FOUND OUT IT HELPS TO PREVENT BREAST CANCER. I HAVE BEEN TAKING FOR OVER 5 YEARS NOW, I NEVER HAD A SIDE EFFECT, TAKE EVERYNIGHT WITH MY MEAL. NO ADVERSE EFFECTS. I WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Evista review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   cancer prevention
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken one time per day for the period of one year
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Hyzaar

Benefits:   My blood pressure is now in the normal range. My blood pressure ranges from 110 over 80 to 137 over 90. This limits the possibility of stroke.
Side effects:   There are no side effects to this drug that I have experienced.
Comments:   I take one pill once each day. The dosage on the bottle reads 100/25.

Evista review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   osteopenia associated with menopause
Dosage & duration:   60 mg daily taken once daily for the period of two months
Other conditions:   hypertriglyceridemia
Other drugs taken:   Zyrtec, MVI, Ca with vitamin D, Omega 3 FA's

Benefits:   The treatment benefits are long term. There is no immediate benefit to be seen. My doctor advised me that a follow-up dexa scan should be performed in two years to determine if the treatment is effective in reversing or at least arresting the osteopenia. The drug is supposed to reduce risk of breast cancer.
Side effects:   I experienced some mild hot flashes during the month I took the drug. These hot flashes were not of the intensity that I experienced when I first started to experience menopause. I did have more ackiness in my bones and joints when I first starting taking it but these went away after the first few weeks.
Comments:   I was given one month's free sample of Evista by my doctor. I took one 60 mg pill each morning with 600 mg Calcium with Vitamin D as directed by my doctor. I also walk 30 minutes daily on my treadmill, again at my Dr.'s direction. I refilled the presciption at a local discount "member's only" store and paid $106 for one month of the drug. I have since purchased the drug on line for about half the cost. Once I receive it, I will resume taking the drug. Looks like I'll have about a two week vacation. Biggest concerns about taking this drug are blood clots and stroke. You are not allowed to smoke and alcohol consumption needs to be kept to a low level because it's not good for the bones. Other lifestlye issues related to healthy bones are followed.

Evista review by 68 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   loss of bone density
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken once daily for the period of nine years (continuing to take)
Other conditions:   moderately high hypertension, underactive thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Benazepril/HCTZ and Synthroid

Benefits:   Since beginning treatment with Evista, I have had three DEXA scans, and my bone density has remained stable. I have had no broken bones or spinal fractures during this period, and I have heighth has remained the same.
Side effects:   I have had infrequent, but painful, leg cramps in my thighs.
Comments:   I take one 60mg pill daily which can be taken anytime of the day, with or without food.

Evista review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   slight loss of calcium in hip area
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken one every day for the period of 18 months and on going
Other conditions:   leg (calf muscle) cramps, particularily in left leg
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   Other Osteoporosis prevention drugs have many side effects. This particular drug has almost no side effects and has shown evidence in clinical testing to reduce the occurance of breast cancer. The only side effects I had are leg cramps and apparently, only a very few women experience this condition.
Side effects:   cramps in lower legs. I took a magnesium supplement and it reduced the effect.
Comments:   It is expensive. My health benefits are not very good, so it costs around $100.00 a month. Other than the periodic leg cramps, I have no other side effects.

Evista review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   atypical breast biopsy
Dosage & duration:   60 mg daily taken one daily for the period of 4 years so far
Other conditions:   osteopenia
Other drugs taken:   Nexium, calcium citrate, vitamin D

Benefits:   It is supposed to lower the risk of breast cancer. There was another abnormal mammogram & biopsy two years after starting it, but the biopsy was less abnormal. So no cancer is a benefit. There was NO improvement in bone density.
Side effects:   Major hip joint stiffness. fingernails thinned & developed longitudinal ridges, thinned hair & thinned eyelashes, dry skin, loss of naturally curly hair
Comments:   As above, once a day.

Evista review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Osteoporosis
Dosage & duration:   60 mg. taken one a day for the period of Two weeks
Other conditions:   Arthritis
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   I couldn't stay on it long enought to know if there were any.
Side effects:   I soon started having blurred vision, then extreme dry eyes. I know it sounds strange, but I couldn't focus at work or concentrate. The worst of all, I started having strange pain in my knees and hips that, I had not felt before. It was not my ususal pain. I had foot cramps, couldn't sleep real well. I had extreme hot flashes each day, however, those were tolerable. I am only praying that this will all go away. I really did want to try this, if it helps build bone, but iw wasn't worth it, to me.
Comments:   One 60 mg. pill per day. I increased my calcium supplement to about 900 mg. per day.

Condition / reason:   osteoporosis/bone stength
Dosage & duration:   regular per instructions (dosage frequency: 1 week) for the period of 4 mos
Other conditions:   osteoarthritis of disks
Other drugs taken:   lipitor

Benefits:   the benefits weren't noticed per needed. I couldn't tell if the back spine was stronger as I felt the same.
Side effects:   My gums really dried out and were sore and red, I had to have special treatment from a specialist for gum disease and scaling. He said it was the same as leaving a steak out of the refrigerator for a few days. Before that, my gums were in good shape!
Comments:   dental specialist went under gums to deep clean and I had to have special care. also, some teeth moved inward. This changed my teeth's ositions and now don't look as nice.

Evista review by 51 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   osteopenia
Dosage & duration:   60 mg. taken once a day for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   levathyroxine, Lexapro, restasis

Benefits:   I didn't take the medicine long enough to get any benefits
Side effects:   I started having side effects within days of taking it but didn't realize it thinking that I was dealing with other health issues. I started out having a very bad sore throat, hoarse voice and cough. Went to a RediClini and got on antibiotic. Also went to see a Dr. 2 days later and was given a prednisone pack because I had chest congestion and by that time I had laryngitis plus shortness of breath. I dealt with these symptoms for 2 weeks. Cough and wheezing got better and then I realized the connection between getting all of these symptoms and the side effects. Checked online and sure enough, all of them were listed so I called the Dr. and stopped the medicine. Shortness of breath is better and my voice is getting somewhat better.
Comments:   None.