Elidel (Pimecrolimus) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Elidel (Pimecrolimus) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 9 ratings/reviews, Elidel has an overall score of 6.67. The effectiveness score is 6.44 and the side effect score is 8.89. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Elidel review by 36 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   atopic dernatitis
Dosage & duration:   1% cream twice daily as needed (dosage frequency: twice a day as prescribed) for the period of two weeks
Other conditions:   cold sores sometimes on the lips and under the nose

Benefits:   No benefits, only very bad side effects (see below)
Side effects:   redness, tingling, headache, skin lesions and cold sores developing in the place of application
Comments:   Once I applied it for my dermatitis (the doc. prescribed it to me because she said it was non-steroidal), there was redness and tinging on the side of the application, which I thought was a normal side affect that should go away on its own. I kept applying it diligently as prescribed. In c couple of days there was a rash on the area ( I called the doctor about it and she said to stop using it for a couple of days and then apply it , since that might have a been a normal side effect). I did what she told me to, so I reapplied the drug again in a couple of days, there was redness and irritation and then later on the following day I had a cold sore developing on the spot (the affected area where I was applying the cream was the upper lip and the noso-labial folds). Plus to everything else I had a bad a headache, which as I found later could have been the side effect of that medication. I went to another dermatologist and she said that she would have never prescribed that medication for the face especially if I have a tendency to develop cold sores because that medication serves as a immunosuppressant.

Elidel review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin rash
Dosage & duration:   as needed (dosage frequency: twice per day) for the period of 1 week as needed
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   Easy to use, no scent, absorbed quickly, rash cleared up
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Contact dermatitis due to detergent allergy on hands. Wouldn't go away with over the counter medications. Used Elidel twice daily for approx one week. Used gloves on hands at night to increase effectiveness of the product. No side effects, no odor. non greasy. Cleared up the condition nicely.

Elidel review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Skin Rash
Dosage & duration:   Cream .05% (dosage frequency: twice per day) for the period of 30 days
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   Hydrocortisone

Benefits:   It was a cream base that was easy to apply, twice a day. It seemed to help with an allergic skin rash due to detergent irritation. It was not as strong as a higher dosage cortisone cream, but it was still effective. There were no side effects of note. The cost was higher than over the counter preparations. All in all, it was a good choice for stubborn skin irritation issues.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Apply thin layer twice per day. Non oily, cream based formula.

Elidel review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Eczema
Dosage & duration:   cream form (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   skin allergies

Benefits:   Fast acting, did not have to worry about skin thinning
Side effects:   None that I noticed
Comments:   The treatment consisted of applying the cream form of Pimecrolimus twice a day on the face for eczema treatment. The cream itself wore off very fast which limited how effective it acted. However, benefits were seen within the first week of use.

Elidel review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Eczema
Dosage & duration:   Cream Form (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   Allergies
Other drugs taken:   No other drugs

Benefits:   Decreased eczema patches, however did not fully heal them. The treatment did not help my skin being scaly from eczema.
Side effects:   There were no noticeable side effects.
Comments:   The treatment consisted of 2 times a day of applying the cream into the face for eczema. Pimecrolimus came in cream form so it would rub off easily.

Elidel review by 37 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hypothryoid-related dry skin
Dosage & duration:   once every 12 hours (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of five years
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   thyroid medication

Benefits:   Elidel reduced my dry skin by about 80-85%. It increased exfoliation, which is very slowed down in hypothyroid-related dry skin, got rid of many of the blocked pores due to poor exfoliation, and stopped the vast majority of the flaking, burning, and redness I had suffered from before I used it.
Side effects:   The first week I used Elidel I got some flu-like symptoms, as warned on the package insert. It stands to reason that Elidel would make one very sun-sensitive, as it shuts down the skin's immune system; I didn't have a problem with this, as I always wore sunscreen, but it made me nervous. As I understand it, Elidel isn't formulated to help the skin help itself; instead it just shuts off the skin's erroneous response. For some skin conditions, this is sufficient, but it wasn't for me.
Comments:   After washing my face with gentle cleanser, I applied a small amount of Elidel to my entire face, before following up with a moisturizer (or two), then sunscreen.

Elidel review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Eczema
Dosage & duration:   bd / day for a week for first week (dosage frequency: prn) for the period of a week
Other conditions:   skin peeling

Benefits:   Resolve my itchiness and redness at both joints of my arms and the "circular" itchness spots went away couple days after application
Side effects:   Didn't feel it
Comments:   Per my dermatologist dignosis, I had dry-weather induced eczema, so he prescribed me with this cream to treat the condition. I have no other complications or co-committing disease, so only a small box of aquerous cream is given for moisturing purpose.

Elidel review by 74 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Idiopathic excema
Dosage & duration:   thin film (dosage frequency: twice/day) for the period of 6 years

Benefits:   Skin inflamation disappeared
Side effects:   None
Comments:   A thin film using a cotton swab applied over the region on the base of my neck. I tiried at least four other prescription and even more over the counter topical meds and none of them helped. I would prefer not to use "elidel" because there are some warnings over its use. My MD told me to use only if nothing else works, and nothing else is of any help.

Elidel review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Rashes
Dosage & duration:   apply sparingly when pink n itchy (dosage frequency: once a year) for the period of instantly
Other conditions:   nothing else
Other drugs taken:   nothing else

Benefits:   helped to prevent flare by arresting inflammation at the beginning of condition. it was in a cream formulation which made it easy to penetrate skin and ideal for a tropical climate. it was however not useful when the condition- eczema or dermatitis flared up. it is more useful in controlling inflammation at the beginning as opposed to a strong steroid cream used more as a rescue when condition has already flared and has become red and angry.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   at 1st sign of pink and itchiness use sparingly and apply emollients over. Once inflammation has seized stop Elidel but continue emollients to help rebuild skin barrier function.