Effexor (Venlafaxine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Effexor (Venlafaxine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 46 ratings/reviews, Effexor has an overall score of 6.52. The effectiveness score is 7.35 and the side effect score is 6.39. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Effexor review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   minimal (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   it did help alleviate the depression
Side effects:   Unfortunately It caused me to gain 20 lbs in less than 3 months...I have been on many different antidepressants and this one was the worst when it came to weight gain
Comments:   daily dose of medication...it helped alleviate depression symptoms but caused weight gain

Dosage & duration:   75-150mg taken daily for the period of 2 yrs
Other conditions:   Asthma
Other drugs taken:   Singulair, Advair

Benefits:   After taking Effexor for several weeks, I felt decreased anxiety and generally more stability in my moods. This anti depressant wasn't a miracle drug but I think it did help make things easier to handle and, in general, neutralized most life experiences.
Side effects:   I don't recall any severe side effects other than occasional tinnitus. The more severe side effects became apparent after I began attempting to discontinue use of the medication. At that time, although I withdrew from the dosage in very small amounts over a long period, the tinnitus was quite pronounced, especially after any sudden head movements. I often felt dizzy for no reason.
Comments:   I'm not sure exactly what information you are requesting here but treatment started with a relatively low dose, escalating to a higher one. This was done in reverse when I decided to stop taking Effexor. In retrospect, I'm not sure how much it helped me but had I known how difficult it would be to stop taking the medication, I probably would have asked my doctor for an alternative.

Effexor review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .5 (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   GAD

Benefits:   less anxiety, emotional stability
Side effects:   terrible withdrawal
Comments:   treatment consisted of drug combined with therapy.

Effexor review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   DEPRESSION
Dosage & duration:   75 (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 9 YEARS
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   NONE

Benefits:   ALSO HELPED WITH HOT FLASHES. IT ALLOWED FOR ME TO CARRY ON WITH NORMAL ACTIVITIES.
Side effects:   MILD JITTERS WHEN FIRST TAKING. IF SKIPPED WOULD CAUSE EXTREME HEAVINESS AND TIREDNESS
Comments:   i TOOK EFEXXOR IN THE AM AND AT LUNCH

Effexor review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   recurrent depression
Dosage & duration:   2 75 mg twice daily taken daily for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   adhd
Other drugs taken:   concerta

Benefits:   This drug turned my severe recurrent depression around.
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   This drug changed my life. I have taken every antidepressant in the book. I received some benefit from most of them but my depression always returned and many of them had unpleasant side effects, including weight gain and constipation. This drug helped me enjoy life again. I still have occasional bouts of depression due to life cirsumstances but they are much briefer and less severe. I feel much more outgoing and enjoy being around people more. I no longer want to withdraw from the world and now face the world with much more confidence. For people worried that this drug produces an "artificial" feeling of happiness--this is not the case. This is the way people are supposed to feel. you will still have a normal range of moods. I only wish this drug had existed sooner--my whole life would have been differnt.

Dosage & duration:   75mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   I'm not entirely sure it was effective at all.
Side effects:   It was really difficult to quite taking Effexor. I had all kinds of panic attacks and severe depression when trying to quite. I must have tried to quite a dozen times. I think this is a dangerous drug.
Comments:   I took Effexor once daily at bedtime for 3 years.

Effexor review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety disorder
Dosage & duration:   175 mg taken 1 x per day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   Bipolar 1
Other drugs taken:   Siroquel

Benefits:   Less severe mood swings and irritated moods. Better able to concentrate.
Side effects:   Headaches if missed dosages.
Comments:   Effexor for anxiety, siroquel for bipolar disorder to alleviate severity of mood swings. However, if stopped taking effexor or reduced dosage, onset of manic episodes.

Effexor review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   migraine
Dosage & duration:   175mg/day taken twice a day for the period of 4-5 years

Benefits:   I suffered from debilitating migraines. The first treatments of anti-depressants were effective, but the side effects became intolerable. After trying other types of medications, Effexor (both XR and regular release) have been a blessing. I suffer no side effects and in the laast 5 years have only had to increase the dosage one time.
Side effects:   Previous medications (Nortrytpaline, amatryptaline) had a major sedative reaction. I was unable to get up in the mornings and was sleepy all day long. Also a dry mouth contributed to tooth decay as I was always having some sort of mint or candy or gum in my mouth.
Comments:   My Effexor treatments as simple, just take the drug once a day on the extended release type.

Effexor review by 42 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   panic attacks and depression
Dosage & duration:   75mg taken daily for the period of 5 years so far
Other conditions:   prolapsed discs lower back
Other drugs taken:   otc pain relief

Benefits:   reduction of panic attacks and depression to almost nil
Side effects:   nausea for first two weeks then no perceived ill effects
Comments:   started on a low dose (25mg) and built up to 150mg over 3 months which was reduced to 75mg per day after six months. This dose continues today. A six month treatment break resulted in a return of the symptoms so treatment was resumed at 25mg up to 75mg after one month.

Effexor review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/ depression
Dosage & duration:   225mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   IBS

Benefits:   a reduction in the amount of panic attacks i suffered, and more control over the ones i do have, a general lightening of moods and outlook. my IBS symptoms appear reduced.
Side effects:   for the first month or so i experienced mild nausea, nightmares and a dry mouth and continue to have loss of libido.
Comments:   having suffered with severe anxiety problems for several years and having tried several other anti depressents my gp prescribed effexor at a 75mg dose, this was then incresed to 150mg and finally 225mg which is ongoing, my anxiety is now much better and i am able to live normally

Effexor review by care giver of 55 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken 1x per day for the period of 7 days
Other conditions:   Bipolar
Other drugs taken:   depakote, seroquel

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   violent sickness and tics
Comments:   effexor was for the depressioin part of a treatment plan to maintain stability in bipolar

Effexor review by 37 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   fatigue
Other drugs taken:   provigil

Benefits:   I did not experience the "brain-fog" that I did with Celexa. I felt great after the first couple of days - relieved the depression immensely.
Side effects:   I was one of the few who experienced severe constipation from taking Effexor. Thankfully, this side-effect abated after two weeks. I've also noticed that just one of my eyes appears to have decreased in visual accuity - from 20/20 to maybe 20/30-40.
Comments:   After using Celexa for 7 years, it decreased in its helpfulness. Celexa always made me feel like I was in a fog as well - hated the stuff. Immediately after taking Effexor, I felt the fog lift and I can't begin to tell you how relieved I am, or how greatly that improveed the quality of my life. I still have moments where I feel a little anxious, but as a whole, the depression is being taken care of. When I noticed a decrease in visual accuity in my right eye, I stopped taking the drug. My eyesight seemed to return to normal. Oddly, my left eye is fine, but it was always extraordinarily good.

Effexor review by 36 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   37.5mg taken once per day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Mitral Valve Prolapse

Benefits:   While taking Effexor at the 37.5mg dose, I have noticed some improvement in my mood stability throughout the morning. I felt less anxious during the day, but anxiety creeps in again towards the night. Although I felt MUCH happier and more like my "old" self on the higher dose, the 37.5mg dose allowed me to sleep the night, which was not possible at the higher dose.
Side effects:   Upset stomach was common if I forgot to take it with food.
Comments:   My doctor prescribed due to depression and anxiety. As mentioned above, I felt so much better on the higher dose (75mg?)... but was unable to sleep at night for several weeks on this dose. Therefore, I began again at the lower (37.5mg) dose (after trying a few other antidrepressants). Overall, I am currently unhappy with the effects of the lower dose.

Effexor review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300umg taken everyday for the period of 1year

Benefits:   depression reduced - I had taken it at a lower dosage at first - but his had no effect - at all - so psychiatrist had to prescribe a higher dosage than the family doctors are allowed...the effect was amazing - I suddenly felt a 100% better after a week or so - I had been on the lower dosage for months with no effect.
Side effects:   I felt nauseous. Gradually I became acclimatised the effects- so after the initial boost I felt normal again - like I could engage with life. After a while (6-months) I felt like I was experiencing a distance because of the drugs, instead of feeling engaged in life like I had felt initially, I felt like I was veiled from it.
Comments:   I was prescribed increasing doses by my family doctor until he had reached the maximum (150) he could prescribe. I tried to commit suicide, I was referred to a psychiatrist who doubled the dose. After seeing the psychiatrist twice over 2 months. I did not have to see her again. And my family doctor could continue to prescribe at this higher dose.

Effexor review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   75mg taken once daily for the period of one year
Other conditions:   PTSD
Other drugs taken:   Xanax

Benefits:   Overall mood was enhanced for a few months, then benefits plateaued and disappeared.
Side effects:   Loss of sex drive; Increasing agitation; Heart palpitations making heart murmur much more apparent; Worsening nightmares and night sweats.
Comments:   Doctor hoped to wean me off of Xanax by using Effexor as what she called a "non-addictive" substitute. Unfortunately, I needed increasing doses of Xanax to counteract some of the side effects of the Effexor. Stopping Effexor resulted in about a week of zero energy and flu-like symptoms, and several weeks of mental confusion and what felt like "brain zaps".

Effexor review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150mg taken 1 x daily for the period of off and on for 6 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   provigil

Benefits:   The benefits of taking Effexor are wonderful. My mood has been so much better. I can function properly without feeling overwhelmed and or stressed out. I have recommended this drug to many of my friends who have had similar problems.
Side effects:   The side effects are mild, but excessive sweating is one of them. I seem to sweat a good bit more than I normally did as well as sweat more than other people that I notice. Also night sweats have been a problem from time to time. Constipation can also be a side effect.
Comments:   The details in the treatment are just as I described shortly above. I went to the doctor, they prescribed it and I take it. Don't really know what else to say here for the treatment details.

Effexor review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   300 mg. taken once daily for the period of 9 years
Other conditions:   anxitety, occasional agorophobia, trichotillomania
Other drugs taken:   Luvox

Benefits:   The effexor worked the first day I took it. For some time previously, I had felt "paralyzed," or too depressed to get much done. The day I began taking it, I noticed a difference in that I felt more able to get out of the house, and able to cope with the difficulties of mothering 6 children full-time. As I said, it worked the first day, but continued to work better and better over the next 3 weeks until I worked up to my eventual dose (I started at 37 mg. and worked my way up to 300 mg.).
Side effects:   The only side effect I noticed was that if, for some reason, I forgot to take the effexor in the morning, by the evening I felt sort of dizzy in a really weird way.
Comments:   I'm not clear on what is wanted in this section. I will do my best, and if you wish to email me with a request for specific info, I will be happy to help. I was seeing a psychiatrist 9 years ago who thought Effexor was worth a try. I had been on Prozac a few yrs previous, and although it worked really well, after taking it for two years I developed the side effect of experiencing arthritic pain in my hands. That was the reason I discontinued the use of Prozac. After being off the Prozac or any other meds for a year or two, I could feel myself sliding back into the black hole of depression and severe anxiety. I found a doctor (psychiatrist)and he put me on Effexor. It was a miracle. I was soooo happy to find something that worked so well, and on the first try. (Several years before, I had gone through what my family refers to as the "year of hell," when I first began the journey of searching for an anti-depressant that would work AND not have side effects that kept me from functioning normally.) My treatment consisted of: Taking the 300 mg of effexor, and monthly visits to my psychiatrist to determine how well my effexor was working and to discuss other treatment options. Although I could notice a marked difference in my mood, I still felt that I wasn't nearly as healthy mentally as I needed to be. I would still have days when I felt "paralyzed" and very anxious. When I discussed the problem with my psych., he suggested that I add Luvox, another anti-depressant, to my regimen. That helped as well, although there were two unpleasant side effects: 1) loss of sex drive and difficulty achieving orgasm, and 2) night sweats. My doc prescribed 1 mg of hytrin for the night sweats; it worked, and he recommended 60 mg. ginko biloba daily for the loss of sex drive. It may have helped a little, but I was never quite sure. One other thing I found beneficial for my anxiety was 10 mg. dexadrine. It seemed contradictory to me that a stimulant would calm me down, but the very first day I took it, I felt calm for the first time in my life. Up until then I didn't realize how severe my anxiety was, because I had never known what it was like to be without it. But that very first day I took it, I felt a calmness come over me that was such a relief. Always before, I had a feeling inside that I can only explain as the feeling one would get if one was late for an important meeting with one's boss. Sort of like, "I'm late! Gotta hurry! oh, no!" That was a feeling that I had always had, and it had nothing to do with what my situation was-- late or early, it made no difference. For the first two weeks I took the Dexadrine, I didn't pull my hair (trichotillomania)at all, nor did I even realize I wasn't pulling, as I didn't even think about it. Unfortunately, I did go back to pulling after that. The 2 side effects I experienced with the dex. is that 1) it made me drowsy for about the first hour after I took it, and 2) it made me feel like I lost my spontaneity. I got a lot more done, and I didn't feel so panicked, but I wasn't as much fun. For that reason, I stopped taking it regularly and took it maybe only half of the time. After maybe a year or two I quit taking it altogether and when I went back on it last year after having been off of it for about 5 years, it no longer worked as it had before. It made me feel jittery as though I'd had way too much coffee. It just made the anxiety worse. I'm not sure if I was supposed to tell about more than one medication for this survey. However, these four meds I've mentioned were all sort of intertwined, so it seemed appropriate for me to do so. I have taken a myriad of other anti-depressants in my quest to find one that would work, and I would be willing to share my experiences with those other meds as well. Just let me know if you want mori info.

Effexor review by 41 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   375 mg taken 2x\day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   anxiety, sleep distrubances
Other drugs taken:   gabapentin, modifinil

Benefits:   the presumed benefits were to help with a severe depression. in the beginning there was some benefit, ie less suicidal, apathetic, morbid, depressed. but the effects were short lived and dose had to be continually increased. the biggest benefit was probably placebo - feeling like i was getting help, hopeful and trusting in the treatment and doctors.
Side effects:   here we go.the initial effect would be dry mouth and sleepiness, not being able to think straight or function really but once the dose would be acclimatised it would be okay. but it also cased both hypo and hypersomnia. shakiness at times. large cognitive deficits in reading and comprehension (eyes would literally\ physically play tricks not seeing words or substituting others, blind spots)and a general confusion not knowing what i was doing where i was going.nightmares, nightsweats
Comments:   family doctor initially prescribed wellbutin but a psychologist at the hospital suggested effexor. the dose would be increased as i would adjust and experience setbacks. the gabapentin was added when i had sleep troubles and to augment. many things were also added and subtracted to no avail. a psychiatrist felt the dose could be increased to 375 mg. so it was but i was not under any supervised care other than my family physician. all the above side effects caused me to be sent from specialist to specialist who all had tentative diagnoses ranging from borderline personality, narcolepsy (the modifinil), sleep apnea and restless leg, and finally bi polar. finally a different psychiatrist said it was the drugs!

Effexor review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken 1-2 daily for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   I've taken various anti-depressants through the years, but this was the closest I ever came to a "cure". Granted, it was after I stopped taking the medication that this "cure" took place, but I never experienced this with other anti-depressants. While taking it, Effexor made me so sleepy all the time that I slept a good deal more than normal (10-12 hours daily). This is why I stopped taking it. But when I did, I felt better than I had in years. I remained depression-free for about 3 years. I then dealt with depression again for about 8-10 months (I didn't want to lose another 6-8 weeks taking the Effexor "cure" so I delayed, hoping I would just "snap out of it" on my own). When I finally conceded this wasn't going to happen, I returned to my doctor, who then convinced me to try something new, so I tried Cymbalta, hoping to get Effexor's benefits, without the side-effects. It worked well as long as I used it, but when I stopped, there was no "cure" like I'd had with Effexor. Now I take 600-1000 mg of samE. It's not as good as the post-Effexor experience, but I feel less dependant on the medical system for my maintenance, and I focus on physical health (good food, exercise, vitamins)to maintain my emotional health. Those things alone, unfortunately, do not completely do it for me, and that's where the samE comes in. It makes the difference.
Side effects:   As indicated in the question relating to treatment benefits; the side effects of Effexor, for me, were a tendency to sleep a lot, and to feel sleepy much of the time.
Comments:   I began Effexor under the care of a psychiatrist who was treating me for depression. My depression took the form of a lack of interest in all aspects of my life and I had begun to "shut down" to such a degree that sometimes the act of just walking from the garage into my house required a strong act of will. When I had to run errands, like grocery shopping, I felt an uncomfortable detachment from my environment. My treatment with Effexor, at worst, sometimes simply took me down (energy-wise) an additional notch from where I was. At best, it shifted me from the uncomfortable detached feeling and elevated my mood a couple of notches above where it had been. I had moments of feeling fully functional. That was enough to give me a sense of feeling better, and the will to decide to take my full energy back. That's when I stopped taking it, and experienced the miraculous "cure". If I ever experience such a deep depression again, I will choose to try the Effexor again (the original, not the newer version), rather than the Cymbalta. With the Cymbalta, I would already know that the benefits would only last as long as I chose to be on it, whereas, the Effexor would give me hope for a lengthy remission.

Effexor review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression and Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once a day/ morning for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Klonopin

Benefits:   I noticed an improvement in my thinking within 3 days. I began to think more positive and objective. I also began to sleep much better, to much for quite a while. After a couple weeks, I was not nearly as depressed and it kept getting better.
Side effects:   Some constipation, little to no sex drive
Comments:   I was prescribed Effexor XR for depression. I initially began on a low dose to make sure I could tolerate it. The first day, I noticed a decrease in anxiety as it made me a bit tired. After a few days, I could tell I was thinking more clearly and did not have that 'doomed' feeling as severe. I began doing more things and getting involved which helped even more. After a couple weeks, my Dr. doubled the mg. and that is the current level I am now on. I feel very good and only have set backs when things in my life are extremely stressful.

Effexor review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   menopause symptoms
Dosage & duration:   75mg taken nightly for the period of 2 1/2 months
Other conditions:   Hypothyroid
Other drugs taken:   Levothyroxine

Benefits:   Effexor was prescribed to alleviate hot flashes, and to help me sleep through the night.
Side effects:   The most noticeable side effects, especially in the beginning of treatment, were mild dizziness and large pupils, making me sensitive to light, after waking up in the mornings. That usually only lasts for 30-60 minutes. Side effects after taking for approximately 2 months: Very vivid dreams when failing to take medication regularly. Also, after approximately 2 months of treatment, the medication does not seem to be helping as much as in the beginning, as I am starting to wake up several times throughout the night again.
Comments:   Will only take for 6 months as I have heard that Effexor is highly addictive & causes severe withdrawal symptoms.

Effexor review by 43 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   There were absolutely NO treatment benefits. I felt worse while on this drug than before I started taking it.
Side effects:   I felt like I had consumed 12,000 cups of coffee. I was anxious, nervous, jittery and irritable. I could not sit still.
Comments:   I was supposed to start at this dose and then go up to a higher dose after a few weeks. I completely took myself off of this drug since it was not helping me and there was no way I was going to increase my dosage. My doctor never even followed up with me after prescribing this medication...tsk, tsk!!

Effexor review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.5mg taken 1 every evening for the period of 6mths

Benefits:   Yes would recommend this drug for people with mild depression,
Side effects:   Tired.......... I work a lot of hours! but I felt overly tired during the day. Once I came off of the medication,the tiredness went away.
Comments:   1 pill every night for depression.My doctor wanted me to try different medication,as my depression comes and goes.

Effexor review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 2x / day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Increased concentration and the ability to study, stay focused and complete tasks in a timely manner.
Side effects:   When the dose wore off I would feel very edgy and tired. I would have to really control my emotions which seemed off the charts! Also, I found my heart would race and I would feel very speedy.
Comments:   I was prescribed to take one 20 mg dose two times a day. This seemed like to much at times, and so I would cut it in half.

Effexor review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Generalized Anxiety disorder
Dosage & duration:   37.5 mg taken one a day, morning for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Other drugs taken:   Clonazepam

Benefits:   I would say that in general, I feel more happy since im taking Effexor. I am more patient and less agressive. I was really irritable with a constatly ''under pressure'' feeling before. Now i feel a bit less concentrate maybe but way more relax.
Side effects:   The problem for me if my strange dreams. Plus, my sexuality is not that good anymore because i can not have orgasum! Thats not that cool...
Comments:   I take 1 pill 37.5 mg each morning, they will up me to 75 mg and i will see if i feel better than better.

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   450 milligrams (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of since late 1990s
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   Advair

Benefits:   Long-term mild to good relief from the worst aspects of depression. Provided a "floor" to my mood and I never go below that. Prior to Effexor (and before that, Prozac) I had frequent periods of suicidality. I still often get very depressed but am much more functional and my behavior has stabilized.
Side effects:   The inability to drink more than 2 glasses of wine at a time!
Comments:   Effexor was first prescribed by psychiatrist and then by psychopharmacologist. I see the psychopharmacologist every 3 months for 1/2 hour to evaluate the efficacy of meds.

Effexor review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150mg daily taken 75mg twice daily for the period of 7 years
Other conditions:   IBS, chronic tiredness, joint pain

Benefits:   helped the depression initially, was far more positive during the years I took it, but the efficacy of the drug began to deteriate, and the onset of new side effects led me to try to live without the treatment
Side effects:   initially, not many, some loss of concentration when driving longer than half hour periods, eyes felt very heavy, and it felt like part of my brain had shut down, struggled not to fall to sleep. after some time, about six years, I started to get night sweats, very uncomfortable, and mood swings. I thought it might be hormaonal, but after taking away the drug , the symptoms alleviated.
Comments:   I now feel that I have suffered fibromyalgia for a long time, and part of the reason I was depressd was I found it hard to deal with the pain i was feeling at the time, I had two very young children , and was not diagnosed with a condition . If I had understood my condition better, I may have managed the fibromyalgia better. I was pushing my body too hard, as I felt frustrated t not managing everything better, and the cycle of depression continued. I have come off the venlafaxine, and the symptoms of pain, particularly in the morning have returned, but I can manage them better, knowing it is not symptomatic of a seriously damaging condition, and that it is 'normal' for me. I pace myself better, and no longer have the demands of very young children , so can do that easier. I like being 'drug' free, although I do supplement with fish oils and 5 HTP

Condition / reason:   depression/ cfs
Dosage & duration:   75mg - 325mg taken every day for the period of 4yrs

Benefits:   lifted mood from severely depressed to being able to live normally,still taking 75mg and pobably will be for forseeable future.happy to do that tho some of the side effects are not desirable it would be worse without it.helped with concentration and ablility to function.Also with confidence
Side effects:   weight gain is the worst,also sweating and lack of temperature control.if accidently miss one suffer with "electric shocks" within a very short space of time especially whilst taking the higher doses.nightmares for the first few weeks and when upping the dosage.
Comments:   started on normal effexor 150mg ,after taking others with no real effects.was not really happy as made me feel odd for couple of hours of taking so gp changed to modified release which found much better.Had to up the dose to 325mg before saw significant improvement but now on way down again and at 75 mg modified release once a day

Effexor review by 16 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression and Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   175mg taken once daily for the period of one month

Benefits:   Proven effective with adults and was tried with me to combat severe depression, regardless of the fact that it is not normally recommended for adolescents. Though starting at 37.5 mg, the psychiatrist quadrupled the dosages within one month's time to attempt to make a dent on my emotional condition.
Side effects:   As the dosage increased, the lack of effect turned into a complete removal of affect as well as a persistent feeling of listlessness and heaviness (like having weights on limbs and chest).
Comments:   Though starting at 37.5 mg, the psychiatrist quadrupled the dosages within one month's time to attempt to make a dent on my emotional condition. The month was ended abruptly due to hospitalization for attempted suicide by overdose. I was not weened off of the medication. The doctor was then brought before a committee for misconduct in prescribing Effexor to a minor as well as disregarding warning signs of a suicidal youth. This was the worst month in regards to my depression and anxiety, and was a definite reversal in any progress that was accomplished with a different doctor on a different medication.

Effexor review by 36 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken daily for the period of still taking <3 years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   nexium, norvasc karvea

Benefits:   I guess they helped me through a really challenging time in my life where i was not coping, and wanted to die. i was severely depressed, and needed to have meds to help me stay focussed
Side effects:   nausea, tiredness. When i first started, i was very nauseous. if i forgot a dose, i got severe headaches
Comments:   councelling, effexor. i saw a psychiatrist at first weekly, then bi weekly, then monthly. i had other supoport from other proffesionals

Effexor review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken every day ongoing for last 6 years for the period of still taking

Benefits:   In comparison with other antidepression medications I have taken prior to the effexor, It actually began working faster than the others (after about 2 weeks). Most antidepressants usually take closer to 4 weeks to see improvements. Depression symptoms were significantly reduced.
Side effects:   I experienced moderate constipation as well as excessive night sweating. Would become completely drenched in sweat during sleep. Also experienced sexual side effects (low libido). The thing I really don't like about effexor is that if I miss a day for some reason, I begin to experience feelings of dizziness within 24 hours.
Comments:   150 mg daily

Effexor review by 54 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression, rumination, anxiety
Dosage & duration:   35mg/75mg taken daily for the period of 9 days
Other drugs taken:   lysynopril

Benefits:   I was initially calmer and motivated on 35 mg. I cleaned house and felt like I was moving in a positive direction. I was very hopeful that I may be feeling better. My internal chatter had quieted.
Side effects:   On 35 mg had an effect the first day. I didn't sleep but I did not expereince sleeplessness until the third night. Impotence settled in.The first day with 75 mg a late afternoon anxiety dive,fatigue, depressive episod appeared.
Comments:   One week 35mg, second week will be 75 mg, third week 150.mg.

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken daily for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   menapoausal
Other drugs taken:   premarin, thyroxin

Benefits:   I enjoyed life again and felt happiness, I could hold down a job and look after my family. I was no longer suicidal. I lost weight because most of the time I was no longer depresses. and My overall health improved
Side effects:   For the first 6 months profuse se sweating and insomia.
Comments:   I took 150mg of effexor daily. For 9 years I was able to live a normal life with some small episodes of mild depression now and then. The last 12 months the effect seems to be getting less and the depression is rearing its ugly head again and I am isolating myself and have to really try to fight depression. I am experiencing the well known pooping out syndrome.I feel it is time tolook for another anti depressant which I am dreading.

Effexor review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   150mg taken everyday for the period of 6 weeks

Benefits:   I started to feel better within a few weeks, the side effects were very mild, MAJOR WEIGHT LOSS, ABOUT 10LBS, I have energy I never had before. My anxiety no longer exsists.
Side effects:   very mild. At first I experienced alot of yawning, I had no appetite, fatigue. These side effects did not last long. Weight loss was my biggest concern. I experinced weight loss of about 10lbs.
Comments:   I started on 37.5mg and worked my way up to 150mg.

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken one a day for the period of nine years
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Diazepam

Benefits:   Significant remission from a major depressive disorder that had been present throughout childhood and into my adult life. One day I just could not get out of bed - the depression was so bad that my father took me to the doctor who handed me a sample pack provided to him by a drug rep. The Effexor was a life saving medication.
Side effects:   I did experience some taking ignificant side effects as a result of taking effexor. THese included major sexual disfunction, chrinic tireness, apathy and a numb state of being. I felt that the medication made me feel like I was just zombing through work and social life. I did not have a sex drive and found that I did not have any motivation to pursue sexual encounters.
Comments:   I did experience some taking ignificant side effects as a result of taking effexor. THese included major sexual disfunction, chrinic tireness, apathy and a numb state of being. I felt that the medication made me feel like I was just zombing through work and social life. I did not have a sex drive and found that I did not have any motivation to pursue sexual encounters.

Effexor review by 32 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   150mg XL taken one capsule in the am for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   substance abuse disorder, ADHD, Bipolar
Other drugs taken:   Lithium, Olanzapine

Benefits:   The major benefits of taking the prescribed dose of effexor was rapid relief and abaitment of my core and chronic anxiety and secondary depression. It was very severe and I had tried many other psychotropic meds on the market without success.
Side effects:   The main side effectas of this drug were sexual in nature and including in order of severity: inorgasmia, erectile dysfunction, flat mood, a feeling of apathy and general indifference to everything, I was tired all the time and had zero sex drive. I found that while my social anxiet improved my agoraohbia remained untreated, If I misssed one dose, within ten hours I became extremely ill.
Comments:   The treatment was initiated after an onset of panic disorder

Effexor review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   187.5mg taken 2x 75mg am, one half pill pm (37.5) for the period of worked up to higher dose
Other conditions:   add, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   buspar

Benefits:   Signifigantly reduced depression, social anxiety. Mild side effects.
Side effects:   Forgetfullness, some manifestation of laissez-faire attitude (not caring as much about work issues, but in some ways this is a good thing! As long as you don't end up slacking off too much), harder to reach orgasm (but much better than Paxil or Prozac in this matter).
Comments:   I've been on Effexor for about 7 years, and love it. It doesn't make you sleepy or passive. It doesn't kill your sex drive, though it is reduced a bit, and it's still harder to reach orgasm. Best part about this med is that it doesn't make you sleepy or foggy. You may have to increase dosage after a couple of years. It started to poop out on me at about year 3, and since then I've been climbing with the dosage. I've tried many anti-depressants, and this is the gold standard for me. Paxil robbed me of many years...no ambition, no focus, very sloppy housekeeping. Effexor is much better.

Effexor review by 41 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken once per day for the period of 6 years off and on
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   lipitor

Benefits:   This drug did have benefits in that it stabilized my mood somewhat. I still suffer from severe bouts of depression- mostly caused by the side effects of the drug.
Side effects:   the side effects are sever for me and include: rapid weight gain which is next to impossible to loose. Very high cholesterol which requires more medication (20mg lipitor per day)Debilitation sexual side effects: impotence and inability to reach orgasm. Profuse sweating, indigestion, lethargy. I am now severely addicted to this medication with no way to get off it. Any attempt to stop taking the medication leads to severe physical and emotional pain.
Comments:   I agree that this medication has some positive effects but the negative side-effect FAR OUTWEIGH the good. Its been prescribed over and over to me by lazy doctors not willing to help me find the right medication for my condition. Any attempt to discontinue the medication has led to severe and acute withdrawal symptoms.

Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken daily for the period of several years

Benefits:   The drug prevented emotional highs and lows. Specifically helped with crying too much. Lessened the intense "caring". In some cases, it lessened it too much.
Side effects:   There were strange sensations when 2+ doses were missed. Certain sounds seemed exaggerated.
Comments:   This was part of a treatment for Adult ADD. I continued it for depression.

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   150 xr (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of one year
Other conditions:   0
Other drugs taken:   trazadone

Benefits:   stopped depression ie. repeatative negative thoughts, suicidal thougts, and general malaise. relieved insomnia.
Side effects:   Bizarre dreams on nightly basis. Possibly digestive problems.
Comments:   I started on effexor after a serious suicide attempt following chronic sleep deprevation. The trazadone was quickly added. I effectively slept and within several weeks of taking both medications (taking the effexor and trazadone at bedtime) found my depression relieved.

Condition / reason:   severe depression
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken 3 pills a day for the period of have been on for 1 year now
Other conditions:   panic disorder
Other drugs taken:   xanax for anxiety

Benefits:   the xanax has a calming effect, and takes the edge off the effexor side effects.
Side effects:   the effexor actually makes me feel worse. i started with 75 mg, 3 per day. was increased to 300 mg per day. my emotions are blunted and flat. my joy for living is gone. i'm having some concenttration problems, and short term memory loss. so i'm going back to dr. to see what else is out there. i've heard bad things about cymbalta and pristiq, so i'm just confused as to what really works.
Comments:   effexor xr 75 mg. 3 times per day, at present. hoping i will find something to help. i don't even know what drug to suggest. i've been on prozac, and zoloft. the zoloft worked for 5 years, and it just stopped working also. tried paxil for short term. it made the anxiety worse for me.

Effexor review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   300mg. per day taken one time per day for the period of two years
Other conditions:   restless legs syndrome
Other drugs taken:   gabapentin seroquel and imitrex

Benefits:   the treatment reduced the following symptoms of depression: apathy, lack of interest in daily activities, passive suicidal ideation, loss of energy.
Side effects:   the treatment resulted in augmentation of restless legs and induced weekly migraines. this required three additional medication to manage the side effects. these medications also had side effects.
Comments:   the treatment was started two years ago and was intially very effective. despite causing augmentation of restless legs and inducing weekly migraines a decision was to stay on the medication and treat the side effects. over time the antidepressant effects waned but the side effects continued so I am slowly being withdrawn from the effexor. the seroquel has had side effects as well.

Effexor review by 46 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   numbness in arms and hands

Benefits:   The numbness in my arms and hands significantly reduced. I was having uncontrollable emotions of sadness, crying and even thoughts of suicide. Taking the effexor helped me not only control my emotions but also diminished the intensity as well.
Side effects:   Initally when I started taking Effoxor it upset my stomach. I was taking in the morning after breakfast so the Dr. suggested taking it before bedtime which solved that problem. I have been taking it for sometime now and do not remember any other side effects from this mediation.
Comments:   I started off taking 50mg for two weeks then increased the dosage to 75mg for two weeks. After visiting the Dr. after a month on this dosage he recommended going up to 100mg and eventually I increased it to 150mg. This is currently the dosage I am taking.

Effexor review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   300 mg taken in 150mg twice a day taken 2 times a day for the period of going on 6th year

Benefits:   I noticed significant changes in the beginning. After about 2 years, the dosage needed to be increased and is now at the max. I am experiencing an ebb in effect and have no way to increase the dosage now.
Side effects:   Horrific nausea and feelings of body shock when a dose is missed. If I could have chosen a different drug when I started, i would have done so. The withdrawal effects are so bad that I may be on this drug for years to come just to avoid the pain of withdrawals.
Comments:   -

Effexor review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   75 mg
Dosage & duration:   1 a day (dosage frequency: 7 years) for the period of very good

Benefits:   Very effective initially. A lot more energy, able to focus, and more vibrant. I think its no longer working after 7 years and think I am tolerant of it and not receiving the same benefits as the initial years.
Side effects:   When weening off I had 'shock like' sensations.weight loss was an initial side effect as well as diarrhea. Became ill if I drank alcohol at all.
Comments:   Depression med.

Effexor review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   GAD
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken daily for the period of 3 days
Other drugs taken:   antihistamine

Benefits:   This drug did work at alleviating the anxiety for which it was prescribed.
Side effects:   My God, I'm amazed that this drug is still on the market. I'm actually an MD, and was prescribed this drug for anxiety and panic attacks. I know to give a drug about a month to work, but I lasted all of 3 days on this!! Started with a 75 mg dose, immediately fell asleep for 4 hours, woke up feeling so out of it that I could barely string a sentence together, spent the next day feeling nauseous, hot, sweaty, jittery and weak. Got leg spasms that night and woke up 12 hours post-ingestion having a rebound panic attack. When morning finally arrived, I had the kind of hangover headache that you get when you're in college and have spent the night parting and binge drinking, but without any of the fun. The next day, upon advice from my psychiatrist, I dropped the dose right down to 25 mg, with no change in side effects. 3rd day I tried only 6.25 mg (quarter of a 25 mg pill), and still felt nauseous, hot, dizzy and weak...and fell asleep for two hours. This is now day 6 and I'm finally recovering from my 3 day trip to hell with Effexor. Left a 5 min message on my psychiatrist's machine - will not be taking this crap anymore!! Will not EVER be prescribing this to any of my patients.
Comments:   75 mg per day starting dose for anxiety and panic attacks.