Duac (Clindamycin / Benzoyl Peroxide) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Duac (Clindamycin / Benzoyl Peroxide) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 7 ratings/reviews, Duac has an overall score of 6.43. The effectiveness score is 6.86 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Duac review by care giver of 17 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   topically (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   tazorac

Benefits:   clear skin. limited break outs
Side effects:   Some dryness and redness unon initial use
Comments:   Initial treatment began with application of medication and then wiping it off after a period of time. Used inconjunction wiht a mild moisturizer and tazorac. Continued application was extended until product is applies before bedtime and not washed off. Used daily

Duac review by care giver of 15 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   1% / 5% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   Slight improvement of acne, but not enough to make it worth the treatment hassles.
Side effects:   Product was gritty, drying and caused redness. Also was a bit smelly. When dropped onto the rug or clothing it caused bleach spots.
Comments:   Had to apply the cream to dry, washed skin every day. It was supposed to show improvement withing a week or two, but it never helped very much at all.

Duac review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   once a day for 3 months (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2 months and continuing
Other conditions:   asthma
Other drugs taken:   steroids and hayfever medications

Benefits:   I had spent a year trying to improve my food intake because of my bad skin. This got rid of the acne within a matter of days. although I still have a few acne scars my skin is soft and feels fantastic.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   once a day I had to a tiny amount of the cream on my face after cleaning. That is all, and it worked.

Duac review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   5% bp and 1% clin. (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   rosacea
Other drugs taken:   Klaron, finacea

Benefits:   I've been taking Duac for 2 weeks, and I've found it considerably effective in reducing and preventing pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads. It is cosmetically appropriate and easy to put make-up over.
Side effects:   I've had mild dryness/redness was was easily counteracted with a good moisturizer.
Comments:   I apply duac once a day to clean dry skin and follow with a moisturizer.

Duac review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin probles - acne, balckheads
Dosage & duration:   onse a day (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   light allergies
Other drugs taken:   tazorac

Benefits:   I could not observe any benefits: my blackheads remained as they were, and acne remained. Probably my problem was not severe enough to see the results, however, due to no observed change I stopped using it.
Side effects:   I have not noticed any side effects. Though I am susceptible to various allergies, I have not had any breakouts or worsening effects. Also, blackheads and acne did not become any worse.
Comments:   I was prescribed to use 2 cream gels - duac and tazorac. I was using small amount of each: duac as night cream, and tazorac as a day cream.

Duac review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   5% (dosage frequency: 1x daily) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   sinusitis
Other drugs taken:   antihistamines

Benefits:   decrease in frequency and severity of acne lesions. Blackheads were not as noticeable and pustules were much reduced in size and number.
Side effects:   Benzoyl peroxide is a strong bleaching agent and ruined many bathtowels and pajamas and bedsheets and pillowcases. During the wintertime, this treatment was mildly irritating to dry or sensitive skin. During the summertime, perspiration tended to cause this product to run off the target area and bleach clothing around the collar or neckline. Some mild dryness and scaling
Comments:   At bedtime, wash face with mild cleanser. Apply duac gel (pea size), follow with anti-aging over-the-counter moisturizing cream. Wash again in the morning (or else the Duac will bleach clothing), follow with SPF 30 moisturizer, and makeup as needed. Acne lesions which are dry and crusty were treated with a dab of topical neosporin ointment to speed healing.

Duac review by care giver of 17 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   Apply at bedtime (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of about 9mos
Other conditions:   oily skin
Other drugs taken:   Differin

Benefits:   Acne outbreaks healed quicker than using no medication.
Side effects:   At first my face was really red, dry, and flakey. After about 4 mos my face still gets red sometimes and is a little burny/itchy which it makes it hard to shave.
Comments:   When I started using Duac (at bedtime) it made my face red, dry, and it peeled. A great back-to-school look! I play outdoor sports and know I am suppose to wear suncreen but now all suncreens make my face burn(sting) more so I can't tolerate sunscreen. The slight sunburn is actually less painful. My acne seemed to heal the first 1-2 weeks and then it flaired up. It still flares but less frequently with less spots and heals faster. Biggest problem is that it's like bleach on my navy pillowcase and I have ruined a lot of dark colored towels