Doryx (Doxycycline) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Doryx (Doxycycline) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 10 ratings/reviews, Doryx has an overall score of 6.30. The effectiveness score is 7.40 and the side effect score is 7.60. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken 2 x a day for the period of still taking it 3 + months
Other conditions:   acne scars
Other drugs taken:   differin

Benefits:   Doryx taken to eliminate bateria that causes acne
Side effects:   stomach discomfort if taken on an empty stomach Differin - drying and mild irritation
Comments:   taking a 6 month course of antibiotic for acne 2 a day. differin once at night

Doryx review by 23 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   100mg daily taken daily for the period of 4 months

Benefits:   mild facial improvement, healing was faster. Problem persisted. Problem increased upon ceasing of the medication.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   once daily doryx, a time release version of doxycycline. It is a much more expensive version and when the insurance stopped paying for it the cost was prohibitive, like ten dollars per day. You could opt for the twice daily generic doxycycline, the manufacturer claims this is more effective.

Doryx review by 25 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Adult Acne
Dosage & duration:   150mg my weight is 170lbs taken once per day with food for the period of On it Currently July 5th 2009
Other conditions:   n/a

Benefits:   90% of new breakouts ceased after only 5 days. I'm in about 9 days and my skin is fairly clear. I'm very happy with the results. My skin is not oily anymore either. Also it cleared up my scalp problem that was pretty bad.
Side effects:   Diaria every day, sometimes more than once per day. General tiredness, I try to work out about 3 times per week. But I still ran 2 miles about 5 days ago. I will say that I sleep MUCH better since I started taking DORYX. I don't wake up during the night at all because it makes me so tired. I feel more mentally awake during the day, but my body is still tired.
Comments:   I am looking forward to staying on this medication if this is all the side effects I have. Please reseach the side effects carefully though before starting on this medication.

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   150 mg taken once a day for the period of been on it 2 weeks now
Other conditions:   acne scars
Other drugs taken:   Retin- A

Benefits:   Been using retin-a for 9 yrs but had to start adding doryx due to resent cystic acne around my chin area, i noticed within a few days my skin has been glowing and my pores are much smaller. Its cleared up 80% of my acne and still seeing improvement
Side effects:   I had headaches and nausea
Comments:   Took it once a day but had to start taking it every other day due to my frequent headaches and nausea.

Doryx review by 57 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   75 - 100mg a day taken daily for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   osteoporosis, von willowbrandt's disease
Other drugs taken:   climara, progestin, boniva

Benefits:   Clearer skin,free from major breakouts
Side effects:   I often wondered if the osteopenia and mild von willowbrant's were a result of long term use of Doryx (an antibiotic). Prior to taking Doryx, I had taken Tetracycline (since my late teens I have been on an antibiotic of some kind). I am presently antibiotic free but am taking Spironolactone to control breakouts. A hematologist said my blood was deficient in collagen. Could this mild deficientcy be connected to antibiotic use, as well?
Comments:   1 tablet once a day before food. I usually took it first thing in the morning. I also avoided any calcium supplements and dairy products for two hours afterwards.

Doryx review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   100mg daily taken one month 2 weeks for the period of one month

Benefits:   None!
Side effects:   Hair loss! More Acne!
Comments:   Please dont take this medicine it made my acne horrible! I only had mild acne in my chin area. After taking this medicine it made my acne worst like never before in my life. I started getting severe acne all over my face!Now I have ugly acne and scaring and before this horrible medicine I only had ugly chin acne!I feel so depressed! I dont want to live any more!

Doryx review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   One tablet nightly with meals taken (2) 30 day-period for the period of 60days

Benefits:   The treatment benefits are: it controlled my acne and prevented any breakouts. The treatment also subsiede the present acne at the time of intake. My skin has cleared and there are no more pustules on my face.
Side effects:   There were no side effects. The important thing is to take it immediaely after dinner. You have to have a full stomach because taking it without any solid food in the stomach couls give you an upset stomach.
Comments:   The treatment details are simply a taking one tablet daily with dinner or immediately after for a period of thirty days. AFter 30 days, you take it in again at least for another three weeks and then gradually decreasing do there won't be any flair in the effectiveness of the drug.

Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once a day for the period of six months
Other conditions:   Adult acne, hair thinning
Other drugs taken:   Birth control pills

Benefits:   My acne was significantly reduced. My doctor added the oral medicince because using topical acne medications did not slow the acne pimples. My face only improved while using birth control pills, Doryx, and the topical acne medications.
Side effects:   No
Comments:   I used birth control pills, Doryx, and topical acne medications to manage my adult acne.

Doryx review by 39 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150 MG taken once a day for the period of 4 Month
Other conditions:   Joint Pain And headachs
Other drugs taken:   Vitamins

Benefits:   My skin cleared of acne after two weeks, I still have oily skin I use bare mineral makeup to minimize oil overall my skin look great.
Side effects:   Joint pain in my knees and elbows and finger joints Tired, I stop taking the Doryx for a week and the joint pain stop but my acne return I also suffered very painful headaches here and there
Comments:   once a day or every other day

Doryx review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Back acne
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken once daily for the period of 10 days
Other conditions:   Acne scarring
Other drugs taken:   Spironolactone and Flutamide/cleocin topical

Benefits:   In saw immediate improvement in the clearing of my acne within the first week.
Side effects:   Yeast infection by day 7 despite eating yogurt and taking Acidophilus along with Doryx as suggested when I was prescribed the medication. The side effects definitely outweigh the benefits in this case.
Comments:   I am following up with the derm tomorrow to see if there is an alternative treatment because I can not go through these side effects again.