Differin (Adapalene) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Differin (Adapalene) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 38 ratings/reviews, Differin has an overall score of 6.89. The effectiveness score is 6.84 and the side effect score is 7.95. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of once daily / one month
Other drugs taken:   no other drugs

Benefits:   Benefits were intended to be no facial acne
Side effects:   There were no side effects noticed
Comments:   Was to be applied externally to the affected area every night at bedtime afer washing.

Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 8 yrs
Other drugs taken:   metrogel

Benefits:   fewer breakouts (due to both Adapalene and Metrogel) and quicker healing time attributed to Adapalene.
Side effects:   some minor burning that disappeared in a few days.
Comments:   Used at bed time daily.

Differin review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   gel .3% (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   enlarged pores

Benefits:   The pimples become dry. At first there was formation of new pimples, but then pimples started gradually go away; overall the skin started looking healthier and cleaner.
Side effects:   some bearable feeling of heat/burning
Comments:   applied the gel in the morning and at night on nose, cheeks, forehead, and chin.

Differin review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   very oily skin
Dosage & duration:   .1% (dosage frequency: every second night) for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   differin made my skin less oily and shiney and had a very small effect on my large pore size
Side effects:   at the start my skin was very red. after a long period of using differin my skin started to become more oily again,but not as oily as before i started using it. also got small patches of peeling skin especially around the nose
Comments:   after washing face at night i applied a thin layer over entire face every second night and washed it off in the morining

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   thin layers on affected skin area (dosage frequency: every other night) for the period of one month
Other conditions:   dermatitis

Benefits:   purging of the skin, some clearing acne.
Side effects:   Initial break-out, drying, peeling of the applied skin area.
Comments:   differin was prescribed to treat moderate facial cystlic acne. it is applied once every other night on affected area. For the first month, the acne that were underneath the skin surface were pushed out, thus created the appearance of a break-out. However, this break out resolved over time and healed quicker than previous break-out experienced before using the medication. Drying and Peeling and all the typical side-affect of retinoid were observed.

Differin review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   1x/day (dosage frequency: 1x/day) for the period of 3months
Other conditions:   na
Other drugs taken:   na

Benefits:   The acne I had on my face in the t-zone area disappeared within a week.
Side effects:   The treatment side effects included drying of the skin in the areas that the product was applied.
Comments:   I was directed to apply Differin to my face once per day after cleansing. I was directed to use as needed after the acne cleared up and discontinue the use of the product if irritation occurred.

Differin review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10mg taken every day for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Exfoliates the skin. It is said to prevent or treat acne and acne scars. whether this is true is questionable.
Side effects:   the drug induced some dryness and flakiness especially around the nose area and chin area. this side effect can go away after a while
Comments:   the product is a gel that is put on every night. it supposedly prevents new blemishes and promotes exfoliation. the results for the blemishes were not satisfactory.

Differin review by 19 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   0.1 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of daily

Benefits:   my acne calmed down by 75%.still had some break outs when not used on time,but still nothing else would stop the break outs.everything I used just made it worse and mt skin was very dry and inflamed.those problems went away.my skin isn't dry it is back to normal even in the winter when its dry out.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   used every day after washing face.rubbed in until absorbed,and at night.

Differin review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   daily (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of three months

Benefits:   There were little to no benefits to using differin to treat acne. while it may have helped exfoliation, it did little to treat current and to prevent future acne. instead of differin, using a separate skin exfoliation product in addition to an over the counter acne treatment might have been more beneficial. My acne worsened using Differin -- some say it is because the impurities are being purged from beneath the outer layers of the skin. I don't know if I completely buy this theory though I would have believed it if it showed some improvement after three months. Unfortunately, it did not.
Side effects:   There were no side effects to the treatment except that it worsened my breakouts. However, it did nothing to take down the flares even after three months of treatment. Soon after I stopped using it, my skin improved. So now, I choose to use an exfoliation product and a separate over the counter acne treatment product.
Comments:   differin did not help prevent acne or get rid of current acne. it worsened the condition though it was explained that as it helped the skin exfoliate, the impurities beneath the outer skin surfaced. however, there were no improvements after three months of application.

Differin review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   mild acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: every night after washing my face) for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   The acne has decreased and I have not had major skin irritation or sunburn like I know other acne treatments can cause.
Side effects:   Mild dry skin that improves with the use of cream.
Comments:   I was prescribed the medication for moderate acne. I have been using it every night, a pea-sized amount all over my face except eyes, 30 minutes after washing and drying my face with a mild soap. I wait unitl it dries before going to bed, so it won't smear off. I use a moisturizing cream the next day with SPF of at least 15.

Differin review by 19 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of 15 weeks
Other drugs taken:   Minocycline

Benefits:   Dramatic reduction in papules and pustules.
Side effects:   Some redness and slight dryness was perceived. Nosystemic side effects were noted, as adapalene is not very well absorbed by the body
Comments:   Application nightly after washing. The first 2 weeks were unpleasant as irritation and breakouts where the most severe, after 4 weeks significant improvement was noted, optimal effectiveness being achieved by the 10th week.

Differin review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.03 (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of 6 months
Other drugs taken:   birth control

Benefits:   The treatment easy and convenient and effective for skin turnover to prevent acne.
Side effects:   Differin was drying and particularly the 3% solution.
Comments:   You are to apply nightly to acne spots but I found it worked better as a preventive measure all over face once your face is used to the drying. Differin worsens any open wounds but is a great preventive measure

Differin review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   .3 (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 8 months so far
Other conditions:   some fine lines
Other drugs taken:   yazmin and soledyne

Benefits:   my acne cleared up within a few months, and now it is gone.
Side effects:   You cannot wax your eyebrows! It thins your skin, so you can't wax.
Comments:   I used the gel once at night. I also took an antibiotic and yazmin. I believe I will continue to use the differin even after I stop the antibiotic, just for it's benifits.

Differin review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .01% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The Differin resulted in decreased body acne on the face and back. i also felt smoother, cleaner skin
Side effects:   dry skin and skin irritation
Comments:   Apply the Differin cream at night after cleasing skin. The dryness decreased after about 3 weeks of daily use. The facial acne was cleared up about 70% and the back acne was cleared up about 50%.

Differin review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of commenced a week ago

Benefits:   will see with time photo damage reduction. Sun exposure ++ growing up in South Africa so fine lines and facial scar due to dog bite. I have some medical training so am interested to see if any skin improvement
Side effects:   none so far
Comments:   taken for mild acne but curious about photo damage reduction. Will take for next year and see

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   topical 1X/day (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of still using (6 months)

Benefits:   I have noticed a reduction in acne breakouts, particularly painful cysts. I have also noticed improved skin appearance with more even skin tone.
Side effects:   I initially experienced mild facial redness, which lasted the first three days of treatment.
Comments:   I apply Differin gel once per day to treat facial acne. I have noticed a considerable reduction in acne breakouts.

Differin review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   localized acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: once a day at night) for the period of still taking - 1year so far
Other conditions:   low thyroid
Other drugs taken:   armour thyroid

Benefits:   Differin has practically eliminated my acne. I also used it on my forehead, where I have brown spots from a college-days sunburn (appx 10 years ago). The spots have clearly faded, though are not completely gone.
Side effects:   Side effects were peeling and some redness, but only occurred the time that i used too much Differin. I knowingly put more than prescribed on my chin in hopes of getting rid of an outbreak before vacation. The redness and peeling was very noticeable.
Comments:   Treatment includes adding only about 1/3 pea sized amount to my chin area and the same amount to my forehead after cleansing at night. This I do daily. I combined this with a regular alpha-hydroxy exfoliation night creme (applied after the Differin dries) in order to catalyze (by my own approximation) the skin rejuvenation/renewal.

Differin review by 42 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   .3% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   no other conditions
Other drugs taken:   Persa Gel

Benefits:   Differin does help reduce the number of pimples for an acne patient. It did not eliminate them in my case, but reduced them by about 50%.
Side effects:   Dryness and flakiness were the two most common side effects that I experienced. In addition, my skin became more sensitive to environmental stresses like wind, cold, and sun. Consequently my face often appeared flush.
Comments:   I used a non-soap cleanser to wash my face twice daily. In the morning, I followed this with an application of Persa Gel and then a sunscreen. In the evening after washing my face, I would apply a moisturizer, then the Differin, and then spot treated pimples with Persa Gel.

Differin review by 29 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Elarge pores blackheads around nose & cheeks
Dosage & duration:   .3% (dosage frequency: once nightly) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   The Differin did seem to help clear up the occasional blemishes I would get. made a slight improvement in the size of blackheads on my nose and cheeks but didn't aleviate them entirely.
Side effects:   My skin became more sensitive although this happened after about a week of use not in the beginning. There were times when my skin felt warm. My skin peeled a little bit and felt and appeared dry. There was some periodic itching. My skin became more sensitive and something like a scrape would hurt. Additionally and most noticeably even though I avoided my eye area the differin would make the skin around my eyes sore, red and flaky. I'm not sure how it spread to my eyes when I avoided rubbing it in anywhere close, but it did.
Comments:   I was directed to apply once or twice a week and build up to once per night as tolerated. I was able to tolerate once per night application for the entire course of treatment. There were some negative side effects (itching, sensitivity, warmth, and redness especially around my eyes) and not much in the way of positive side effects. I am now considering asking my dermatologist for a different prescription.

Differin review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   .3 mg taken every night for the period of from 2007-present

Benefits:   I have had acne since the age of fifteen (15). I tried several treatments, but the one that has shown improvement to my skin has been Differin. With Differin, there has been a reduction of blemishes, my skin feels and looks smoother, and the hyperpigmention of my skin has lightened significantly.
Side effects:   Side effects included dryness and irritation of the skin, which were both in part, very mild.
Comments:   apply a thin layer every night to clean skin.

Differin review by 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   once per night application (dosage frequency: once per day) for the period of 5 months
Other conditions:   keratosis pilaris

Benefits:   reduced acne and refined skin texture. Helped to prevent new breakouts to a certain extent.
Side effects:   Dry skin. After washing even with the mildest cleansers I noticed my skin would be very tight and uncomforable.
Comments:   Differin is a retinoid, supposedly the mildest of all retinoids. I was prescribed this for mild, yet persistent acne. While it did help clear up the acne it also caused me to continue to get more pimples in areas I didnt normally get them. So it was a slight paradox. I would have continued to use the medication of it wasnt for the dryness and tighness I used to get after water touched my skin. My skin never felt comfortable. I gave it a good 5 months but my skin never seemed to adjust. So while it worked pretty good for the acne, it also caused to much skin dryness. So I moved onto a new treatment method.

Differin review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   once a day (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of over two months
Other drugs taken:   oral birth control

Benefits:   My acne was considerable decreased. I had hoped to see some anti-wrinkle effects as well but did not.
Side effects:   It did dry out my skin somewhat. Some days seemed to be worse than others. Also some areas of my face were worse than others.
Comments:   I was prescribed differin gel for acne treatment. I applied it once a day at bedtime.

Differin review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   mild acne, white heads
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: every night) for the period of 3+ months (still using)
Other conditions:   oily skin

Benefits:   My skin was really red (I am very fair skinned) from using harsh products (Obagi) and benzyol peroxide. The redness started to improve within the first week. I just used a mild cleanser and the differin. I had less whiteheads the first two weeks as well but then had a purging period for a couple of weeks. My skin is defininately clearer now but not perfect. Did not help at all with oily skin.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   PM: Wash face with mild cleanser. Apply pea size of gel. AM: Wash face with mild cleanser. Apply sunscreen

Differin review by medical professional caring for 15 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   small amount (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of one week
Other conditions:   hyperpigmentation
Other drugs taken:   hydroquinone 4% topically, Benzaclin

Benefits:   The patient saw effective acne control within 4 weeks. She still had occasional acne lesions but saw clearing of most of the comedones. Because there were few new acne lesions, the hyperpigmentation she got along with the acne was not happening, and the hydroquinone helped to clear the hyperpigmentation she already had. At four weeks, her skin tone was even.
Side effects:   Dryness at the corners of the mouth was the major problem. I find if you apply moisturizer or a small amount of vaseline to the area prior to apply the Differin, the irritation will resolve quickly.
Comments:   Medication is easy to use, and high patient satisfaction.

Differin review by 22 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Acne problem
Dosage & duration:   Apply it all over the face (dosage frequency: every night) for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   Pits and blemishes over the skin.
Other drugs taken:   Azee

Benefits:   Texture of the skin has improved a lot by regularly going for peel sessions and by using the prescribed drugs which has to be used through out the treatment period.
Side effects:   The negative side is controlling acne during the treatment period is little tough as new skin appears , so one has to keep his face clean by having lots of water and constantly washing the face with the face wash solution prescribed.
Comments:   The treatment is to improve the skin texture,complexion by constantly going for peels and derma-rollers once in 15days.The above mentioned medicine is prescribed to be used through out the treatment period.

Differin review by 23 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: topical daily) for the period of 2months
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   antibiotics

Benefits:   I can't really say that the benefits were incredibly impressive. The topical treatment was used along side of an antibiotic for a series of weeks.(4-6) The acne condition improved, but never completely. Eventually, after a couple more scattered, severe breakouts in the following years; the acne went away.
Side effects:   The side effects were dry, tender, itchy skin. Lotion and Sunblock were very necessary.
Comments:   One dime size topical application once every night before bed. This was alternated every other night with a topical retinol cream and combined with an antibiotic pill that was taken daily with a meal.

Differin review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   apply to face before bed, wash off in AM (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 week
Other drugs taken:   Yaz, water pill

Benefits:   I haven't noticed too much of a difference so far.
Side effects:   I did not put it on near my eyes but somehow the whole area around my eyes is bright red and very sensitive. (I look like a raccoon.) It burns my face - especially around my eyes - when I use any moisturizer or sunscreen. I had to switch to a milder cleanser to reduce irritation.
Comments:   My dermatologist prescribed this with a water pill and some kind of anti-bacteria medicine to treat my acne. I have been on Yaz for a year and it has not helped my acne at all. All over the counter medicines have been ineffective. I mostly break out around my period and I only get pimples where I have hair folicles.

Differin review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   Applied to skin once a day (dosage frequency: once a day, in the evening) for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   birth control, Ortho Tri cyclen

Benefits:   Differin took several months to take effect and initially seemed to make breakouts worse. After using for some time, however, breakouts ceased and skin became nearly acne-free,
Side effects:   Dry skin, minor irritation
Comments:   Applied Differin to skin in the evening, most evenings for several years. Acne was improved after a period of 3-4 months. Treatment contiued for a period of several years.

Differin review by medical professional caring for 31 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   redness
Dosage & duration:   0.1 % applies once a day (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 4 month
Other conditions:   irritation dryness
Other drugs taken:   no

Benefits:   acne vulgalis , oily skin and post inflamation hyperpigmentation.I know retinoid cmake skin younger and anti aging if I use every.afer I used 6 weeks.My oily skin is decrease.my acne is better.scar and comedones are resolve.Skin more smooth.Hyperpigmentation is decrease.
Side effects:   When i topical about 6 weeks.my skin is drier.not oily.When I topical 12 weeks.my skin is some irritaion angle of the nose and mouth.some acne had occure.Pre auricular area is itching and redness.Some folliculitis at bread area.Dry skin in neck.when expose sun light.skin is darker before.
Comments:   I apply to the acne areas and thin film at face.Once a day before retiring and after washing.By a quantity of gel on the fingertips sufficient to cover my face And then I apply my moisturizer.non astringent.On the morning I don't use adapalene. I apply my moisturizer and sun block SPF 19 ( Olay white rediance lotion ) then cover by powder.

Differin review by 32 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   5mg taken once daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   reduced inflammation, hence, their enzymes are targets of current anti-inflammatory therapies. Products of arachidonate 15-lipoxygenases (LO) types I and II display both beneficial roles, such as lipoxins (LXs) that stereoselectively signal counterregulation
Side effects:   dryness, this may be due to a lack of sugars, the presence of some other taste that masks sweetness, or an underabundance of simple carbohydrates that can be converted to sugar
Comments:   Topical application once a day in the morning, after cleansing and folloewd by a broad spectrum sunscreen. Altered with Benzoyl peroxide in the evening

Differin review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   blackheads
Dosage & duration:   three times a week (dosage frequency: 3-5 times a week) for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   reduction in white heads however I think I still need longer treatment to get rid of blackheads, I am hoping it will also help to slow down aging process. I must be carefull not to get pregnant as it might cause problems . I believe it is contraindicated in pregnancy. I am also using hydroxyquinolone for melasma. It started to provide results during 2nd month of treatment.
Side effects:   none. Although they do say it can cause dryeness, however my skin is quite oily so I am not worried.I must be carefull not to get pregnant as it might cause problems . I believe it is contraindicated in pregnancy.It was Very easy to use.I used powder and moisturiser over it with no problem.
Comments:   used 3-5 times a week depnding on occurance of white heads. Dermatologist recommended to use it three times a week.Iam still waitin gto see whether blackheads will go. I must use sunscreen if used during day. This is certaintly the best cream i have ever used for this problem. At the same time i will try not to use it for a long time as it can cause side effects.

Differin review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   nightly (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of three weeks
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   After a few weeks my skin started to clear up and look my younger and clearer. I did experience some tightening in my skin and dryness. Also, I was instructed not to apply any moisturizer to my t-zone since that is my problem ares.
Side effects:   My skin felt dry and tight at times but my skin adjusted after a couple of weeks and I'm not experiencing any dryness now.
Comments:   I was instructed to apply the differin gel before bed every night.

Differin review by 40 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 1 yr

Benefits:   i used the drug for acne. after 2 weeks of use i noticed fewer pimples with lessening severity. after 1 month all pimples were gone.
Side effects:   i used the drug for acne. after 2 weeks of use i noticed fewer pimples with lessening severity. after 1 month all pimples were gone. i did not notice any side effects.
Comments:   i used the drug for acne. after 2 weeks of use i noticed fewer pimples with lessening severity. after 1 month all pimples were gone. i did not notice any side effects. i applied the gel every evening before bed.

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   0.3% (dosage frequency: at night) for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   I had acne constantly and would break out a few time a week. My breakouts have gotten better and only occur occaisionally.
Side effects:   The only side effects I have seen are some dryness on the face.
Comments:   I use the Differin gel 0.3% on my face and neck every night. The Differin has helped with the break outs but I do not notice and difference in lines or wrinkles.

Condition / reason:   acne
Dosage & duration:   1 per day (dosage frequency: 1 per day) for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   sensitive skin
Other drugs taken:   tetracycline

Benefits:   cleared acne, dried skin out considerably. Was very easy to use. Did not take much to use. No smell or fragrance.
Side effects:   created such redness and irratation my face looked worse from that then it did from the acne. Created cracks around my eye area that was very sensitive. My skin burned and stung. Skin became so dry it itched. I was embarrased by the redness and flaking. It almost looked like my skin was burned
Comments:   apply nightly to clean skin

Condition / reason:   Acne
Dosage & duration:   Apply thin layer at night (dosage frequency: every night) for the period of 10 years
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   Smoother and clearer skin, believe it may act as a Vitamin A derivative and promote faster cell turnover. My skin had less cystic boils and lesions, skin was less oily and seemed more resilient, but you have to be careful with the dose otherwise skin can become more sensitive, and sun block is recommended with this medication too.
Side effects:   Skin sensitivity can increase if you use too much of the product. When it says apply a thin layer, it means a very small amount - it goes a long way! For me this was the only real side effect.
Comments:   Treatment is simple - after cleansing the face gently, apply a thin layer of the Differin gel to the skin before applying anything else, in other words it should go underneath any moisturiser or any other product you are using so that it is in direct contact with the skin.

Differin review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   wrinkles around eyes
Dosage & duration:   0.3 (dosage frequency: 3-4 nights a week) for the period of 2months now
Other conditions:   rosacia
Other drugs taken:   atenolol,vesicare

Benefits:   to be honest, I am uncertain yet. I believe it will take months to see results
Side effects:   severe dry skin. I was instructed to use less frequently until the dryness was not an issue
Comments:   Apply nightly to face. Wash off in am. Do not use more than every other night due to potential dry flaky skin. Use as infrequently as needed to avoid dryness and irritation. This is a long term skin care application and results may be very moderate and perhaps I will see no fifferance at all. Instructed to continue using long term.

Differin review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   uneven skin colour, anti-aging
Dosage & duration:   0.1% (dosage frequency: daily, before bed) for the period of 5 weeks
Other conditions:   mild acne

Benefits:   My skin has become dramatically clearer and it has a fresh glow that I am very happy with. My skin is smoother, finer, and the darker areas on my forehead (related to sun exposure) have faded almost completely.
Side effects:   Mild redness in the first three or four weeks, especially after exfoliating in the morning (which is my habit, not something recommended by my dermatologist though I have not asked). It is a lot more urgent that I get moisturizer on after washing my face in the morning than it used to be before starting this treatment. My face feels very tight and uncomfortable until I get the moisturizer on.
Comments:   Before the treatment, I had noticed my skin was becoming dull and a bit leathery, and some wrinkles were setting in to my forehead. This is all substantially improved, and I'm so glad I shelled out for this cream.