Detrol LA (Tolterodine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Detrol LA (Tolterodine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 6 ratings/reviews, Detrol LA has an overall score of 6.33. The effectiveness score is 7 and the side effect score is 7. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Detrol LA review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Frequent and urgent urination
Dosage & duration:   4mg taken once a day for the period of 4 days
Other conditions:   MS, perioral dermatitis,allergies
Other drugs taken:   amitriptyline,ZyrtecD,Gabapentin,Requip,Baclofen,Veramyst,Copaxone

Benefits:   Gabapentin worked extremely well for my leg neuropathy.A combination of Zyrtec and Veramyst works quite well for my allergies. Requip takes care of my restless legs which at times had me getting up and having to walk to relieve the discomfort. Baclofen helps with my spasticity. After taking amitriptyline I am able to go to sleep in an hour or so. As for the Copaxone who knows? I have had only one flare up since starting it.
Side effects:   The Detrol was horrible. My mouth was so dry my tongue literally stuck to the roof of my mouth making it difficult to speak. The Copaxone causes lumps and itching at the injection site.
Comments:   When Zyrtec alone didn't controll my allergies my doctor prescribed the Veramyst to try. This combination seems to be working, Zyrtec once a day and Veramyst twice daily. The Baclofen 10mg.is taken as needed one to four times a day. Sometimes I'm not bothered with spasticity too often but when I am I take the Baclofen and it works.Amitriptyline tabs 25mg are taken before bedtime.Requip tabs .5mg are taken in the evening. Gabapentin 300mg is taken 3-4 times a day depending on the severity of pain. Tetracycline HCL 250mg is taken once a day. The Copaxone 200mg is injected once a day. I discontinued the Detrol LA as I could not tolerate the extreme dry mouth.

Detrol LA review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   incontinence
Dosage & duration:   2mg taken once day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   quadriplegia
Other drugs taken:   oxybuiton, imipramine

Benefits:   stopped my bladder incontinence when used in combination with my other bladder medications on my neurogenic bladder
Side effects:   drowsiness, urinary retention may have caused dry mouth but not as bad as using ditropan does
Comments:   This drug was added as I have very strong bladder spasms. It's side effects are better than ditropan and I would recommend people try it first

Detrol LA review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   bladder pressure
Dosage & duration:   4 mg. taken once a day for the period of 60 days
Other conditions:   low thyroid
Other drugs taken:   synthroid

Benefits:   For the most part, the pressure feeling I constantly had in my bladder went away. Sometimes, especially in the middle of the night, the pressure would return slightly. Instead of having to go to the bathroom 2-3 times during the night, I was able to only have to get up to urinate once a night.
Side effects:   I would wake up with a very hoarse voice. Usually, the hoarsness would disappear during the day, but sometimes my voice would crack when I spoke. Also, your throat is dry and irratated. It's almost like you feel like you're getting a bad sore throat but it never quite turns into one. My mouth was a little dry, but hardly noticable.
Comments:   I was prescribed it after a bladder infection, which was cleared up, lead to a pressure feeling in my bladder. I take the medicine once a day. I guess the medicine is slow releasing but once in a while I felt like I should take a dose earlier than prescribed. I am also scheduled for physical therapy on the muscles of my bladder wall, but have not started them yet. I did this kind of therapy 10 years ago when my bladder had this same pressure feeling and the therapy did help--I'm looking forward to starting it and hopefully getting off the medication.

Detrol LA review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   overactive bladder
Dosage & duration:   4 mg taken once a day for the period of 9 months

Benefits:   Greatly improved the sense of urgency. I usually had to urinate every 20-30 minutes. Now I can go as long a 2-3 hours. I find I need to take it as soon as I get up for the best results. If I wait I have a morning of running to the bathroom. I used to get up around 3-4 times a night and now get up only once.
Side effects:   None of the side effects that are usually mentioned. However, I do now have restless legs at night which I have not mentioned to my dr yet. I hadn't thought it was related to the detrol until I saw on another post that someone else was complaining of restless legs at night after taking detrol? So I will mention it to my dr. because it is very annoying. The only other side effect is some drowsiness in the afternoons but it does pass.
Comments:   I had been suffering for years with an overactive bladder but had never brought it up to my dr. until our daughter was getting married in Jamaica and I just knew I could never make it without some help. Doctor gave me sample and I saw improvement and tolerate it well so I have been on it ever since.

Detrol LA review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   overactive bladder
Dosage & duration:   4 mg taken once a day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   type 2 diabetes
Other drugs taken:   Premarin, ToprolXL, Acto+Met

Benefits:   Less urinary urgency (worked as advertised).
Side effects:   The only side effect was a dry mouth.This was mildly annoying, but not serious.
Comments:   Although the drug was supposed to be good for 24 hours, it seemed to wear off during the second 24 hours. A switch to plain Detrol (2mg) twice a day proved to work much better.

Detrol LA review by 56 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   spasdic bladder
Dosage & duration:   2 mg taken twice a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Multiple sclerosis
Other drugs taken:   Lyrica

Benefits:   As an RN for 14 years, I was familiar with Detrol LA and why it was prescribed for me. I was diagnosed two years ago with Multiple Sclerosis and have a spastic bladder. Soon after being prescribed Detrol LA, I had a definite decrease in urination frequency. However, after about six months, my urinary habits returned to pre-medication levels. I void every two hours. About one year ago, I stopped taking Detrol LA for two months, thinking that giving my bladder a break from the med would help. I then restarted Detrol LA and noticed no difference. I am seriously thinking about stopping the medication. It is essentially useless.
Side effects:   Mild dry mouth. Otherwise, no side effects.
Comments:   I have been on Detrol LA for since being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis two years ago. I have a spastic bladder and urinate every two hours. I take 2mg twice a day. The medicine worked for about six months, then was virtually ineffective.