Desyrel (Trazodone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Desyrel (Trazodone) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 14 ratings/reviews, Desyrel has an overall score of 6. The effectiveness score is 7.86 and the side effect score is 6.14. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Desyrel review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   sleeplessness
Dosage & duration:   75 mg taken nightly, before bed for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   effective for falling and staying asleep
Side effects:   slight dry mouth initially, but this subsided with use (3 - 4 weeks)
Comments:   My problem was never falling asleep, it was waking up a few hours after falling asleep and being wide awake, my mind racing on thoughts of the day. This medicine allowed me to fall asleep quickly and stay sleeping throughout the night. My doctor told me it was originally marketed for anxiety/depression, but not widely prescribed for that once the sedative effects became known. (I can't imagine taking one of these in the morning, as a anti-depressant....It would surely knock me out.) The tablets are sold as 150 mg tablets. I split mine (75 mg) and for $4 at Target, I get two months worth. Highly recommend this for those who can't fall or stay asleep.

Desyrel review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomnia
Dosage & duration:   25-50 mg daily taken daily for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   It helped enormously with sleep and gave me quite vivid dreams upon occasion. I felt more relaxed in general and overall, quite happy - in fact, slightly euphoric ( it is a mild antidepressant). I was able to sleep at least eight hours and waking, I was alert and not sluggish.
Side effects:   I felt a little unmotivated during the aftgernoons. Mornings, I was quite peppy but afternoon arrived and I felt sleepy, which is not normal for me. I also had headaches upon waking up and felt a bit unfocused. But overall, it was great!
Comments:   I started with 25 mg a night, taken right before I wanted to fall asleep. This worked off and one but not always for my insomnia. I increased the dosage to 50 mg, which was highly effective. I took one 50 mg pill. I felt sluggish in the morning ONLY when I took a pill in the middle of the night, say 3 or 4 in the morning when I couldn't sleep.

Desyrel review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Poor sleep quality
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken every night for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Depression, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Celexa

Benefits:   Able to sleep throughout the night without waking up, not groggy in the morning.
Side effects:   Dry mouth in the morning up on waking, dry eyes.
Comments:   I take 50 mg at night 1/2 hour to 1 hour before I want to go to sleep. I stay asleep and don't wake up every hour like I did before starting it. I feel refreshed in the morning. It does make my mouth pretty dry, especially first thing in the morning. I also have dry eyes I believe as a result of taking trazodone and it makes it difficult to wear contacts because of the dryness.

Desyrel review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Fibromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken 1 at bed time for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   tiredness, pain all over, migraines
Other drugs taken:   zoloft

Benefits:   The medication took all my simptoms away completely!
Side effects:   dry mouth. Lucid,vivid dreams. I cut the pill in fourths. A fourth of the pill still helped me sleep but, the wild dreams stopped.
Comments:   Before taking this medication I was in constant pain. Every muscle in my body hurt. Legs, Back, arms. All my joints felt like they were being nawed away and had burning pain in ever muscle. I had a Migraine ever minute of every day. I was constantly exsausted. After taking it for one week, I felt like a new person. For me this was a miracle drug. I stopped taking it after a month and was pain free. Since then, When ever my Fibromyalgia flares up... I take it for a week or more and it puts me back on a deep sleep pattern. I don't have to take it all the time. Just when I need it.

Desyrel review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   100 mg taken at night, once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   Restless Legs
Other drugs taken:   Mirapex

Benefits:   Held me in a deep sleep and my muscle pain subsided.
Side effects:   Grooginess in the morning. Low libido. Water retention with edema. I didn't realize it was the medication that caused the edena until I quit taking it. When I started back on the medication I immediately swelled with edema. Initially, it was working well, then I developed weight gain and terrible edema in my ankles and legs. Sometimes it didn't make me sleepy and I doubled my dose. It literally made me green with nausea, but I was able to sleep.
Comments:   Lighter doses didn't work. My doctor gradually upped my dose until it was high enough to be effective. After 5 years, I decided to quit taking the medicine cold turkey. This was five months ago because of the low libido. I was a basket case, but it was out of my system in about four days. I later found out that you should go off it gradually with a doctor's supervision. Quitting, as I did, could cause you to be suicidal. It certainly was very difficult on me. During my time drug free, I developed anger issues, depression and wanted to hurt myself. My sleep became light again, causing muscle pain from lack of rest. After several months drug free, I restarted the medication for insomnia. Immediately my ankles and legs swelled greatly with edema. The water retention and edema is still there even after several days of discontinuing the medication. Maybe this is because I took a high dosage. I plan to go back to my doctor and try something different.

Desyrel review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomia
Dosage & duration:   1/3 to 1/2 tablet taken nightly for the period of 5 years and still taking
Other conditions:   acid reflux
Other drugs taken:   primerin, Prevacid

Benefits:   I can not shut my mind down to go to sleep. I will lay there and think of thing after thing and cannot "shut down." I originally took ambien for insomia, but my insurance would not fully cover the prescription and it was too expensive to take nightly. My doctor put me on trazadone as a safe, low cost alternative. I take 1/3 to 1/2 of a trazadone each night. I vary the dosage, depending on how "excitable" I feel that day. It takes roughly 20 minutes to one half of an hour to take effect. If I don't go directly to bed after taking it, if I stay up watching tv or reading, when I start to feel the effects I give in and go to bed immediately. I have got into doing something and fought it off before and sometimes you can overcome it, but another time I accidently took it with my morning vitamines and was not able to go to work. I had to go back to bed! I love the drug and since I tend to be high strung anyway, I am sure that I am receiving multiple benefits from trazadone.
Side effects:   I have had none of the side effects listed except for the "may cause drowziness" which is the whole reason I am taking trazadone.
Comments:   I take 1/3 to 1/2 of a tablet each night about 20 to 30 minutes before going to bed.

Desyrel review by 63 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomnia
Dosage & duration:   12.5 miligrams (dosage frequency: nightly) for the period of 6 weeks
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   lorazepam, 5 mg, as needed, but I did not need it during the time I took the Trazedone

Benefits:   I did sleep reliably and without waking up in the middle of the night
Side effects:   gradually got more and more sedated during the day. I functioned as though my IQ had dropped about 30 points. It kinda dumbed me down until I was screwing up at work--forgetting details, working slowly, not able to focus, etc. Also, I became very unassertive--not like me at all. When I realized what was happening, I went off it--and had a significant withdrawal reaction--shaking, extremely anxious, really weird. The withdrawal reaction subsided in a couple of days.
Comments:   I was prescribed this drug for insomnia. My MD told me that it had been used as an anti-depressant, but didn't work well for that, but was good for insomnia. She originally prescribed 25 mg, and suggested I work up from that if 25 was ineffective. I am very drug sensitive, so when 25 mg. really knocked me out and I could barely wake up the next day, I cut the pills in half, and that seemed to work--but I just gradually got the effects mentioned above. I realized later that I had taken the same drug, higher dose, under the name Desyrel when I was 43 for post partum depression. It didn't work, and it made my blood pressure go down--the number I remember is 77/44. Same reaction--very sedated, confused, etc. I would never have taken it, but it was not identified as Desyrel, even on the pharmacy information sheet, so I didn't realize what it was. The weird thing about this drug (for me) is that it makes me so confused, but subtly, that I can't think clearly enough to realize what is happening until it gets pretty bad. I know I am very sensitive, and this may be a completely idiosyncratic reaction, but I don't think so. When I talked to the pharmacist about it she said "Yeah, some people just can't take it." I know people who take 300 mg a night--and they are fine!.

Desyrel review by 18 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   15 mg taken instructions said "before bedtime" for the period of Not long.
Other conditions:   Extreme Fatigue, Extreme Dizziness, Headache, Chest Pain
Other drugs taken:   Nothing.

Benefits:   I slept well, except that was not my problem. I was forced to miss work due to a very deep sleep.
Side effects:   I took this ONCE, upon the reccomendation of a doctor. I soon became very dizzy and was forced to go to sleep. When it was time to wake up, I couldn't. Finally I did, but with an annoying headache. Later in the day, I got a chest pain. The side effects of this pill are too great.
Comments:   Before Bedtime

Desyrel review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Fibromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   50 mg, 1-2 tablets taken 1 time a day for the period of continue to take
Other conditions:   sleep loss

Benefits:   Prolonged sleep, less pain
Side effects:   Drowsiness - should only be taken at bedtime. Not safe to drive while when medication has been taken. intensifies effects of alcohol.
Comments:   Trazadone is actually an anit-depressant that did not work well. It is used with many fibromyalgia patients who do not reach the 4th stage of sleep. With out Trazadone, I have trouble falling asleep, wake numerous times during the night. Due to this the muscles do not have time to rejuvinate, and I would awake in the morning unable to move - with much achiness and soreness at trigger points thoughout my body.. With out sleep, depression also set in. Trazadone helps me to sleep helps to illeviate many of the terrible symptoms of Fibromyagia.

Desyrel review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   400 mg taken daily for the period of 20 years
Other drugs taken:   only vitamins

Benefits:   decrease in depression and suicidal thoughts. Gives more energy to be productive in life. Feel more positive and less inclined to take naps during the day to escape from depression.
Side effects:   extreme tiredness and for this reason must be taken before bed. Also in higher doses which are more effective, it can cause some temporary memory loss. Can be blurry vision immediately after taking drug.
Comments:   just an everyday for the rest of my life treatment. It is very hard for me to get off the drug and take a break, I immediately feel terrible and then can't sleep.

Desyrel review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   insomnia, headaches
Dosage & duration:   50/25 mg taken daily for the period of so far 5 days
Other conditions:   chronic daily headache with neck pain
Other drugs taken:   stopped zaniflex

Benefits:   On the 3rd day, I was extremely elated and more uninhibited than usual; headache was still present, but seemed unimportant. In addition, I slept through the night with the first two 50 mg pills.
Side effects:   My headaches worsened and I had additonal muscles aches. On 50 mg the first few days, I awoke with horrible facial and jaw pain; I also had some congestion. After going down to 25mg, the facial pain ceased, but I began having nightmares and after the day of elation, I was depressed the day following. I am currently wondering whether these effects will subside and the benefits increase.
Comments:   Doctor started me on one pill for 3 days,then double for the next and 3 pills upt 150 mg. on the 7th day. I am still at 25 mg. due to side effects above.

Desyrel review by 63 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Insomnia
Dosage & duration:   50 mg. taken nightly for the period of 1 week
Other conditions:   Depression, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin, Effexor

Benefits:   There were few benefits. It still took me a long time to go to sleep, about two hours. Some nights it didn't work at all. When dosage was increased the side effects became unacceptable. I took the medication for a week and then could not stand it anymore. It was preferable to go without sleep than to take this drug.
Side effects:   Dizziness, dry mouth, extremely dry skin, highly increased urination, memory problems.
Comments:   I started with a half pill, then it was increased to 1 due to ineffectiveness. It was increased to 1 1/2, then 2 pills.

Desyrel review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   400 mg taken daily for the period of 18 years

Benefits:   less depression and suicidal ideation. I was not responding to any other anti-depressants and this one sometimes works for people who do not respond to others. Maybe it's because it makes you sleep very well. Sometimes it is prescribed as a mild sleeping pill.
Side effects:   sleepiness, it must be taken at bedtime. and some memory loss. a bit of blurred vision. If there is no food in the stomach there can be nausea. If I get up in the middle of the night I sometimes vomit.
Comments:   I must take it daily and can not just quit suddenly. I must phase off if necessary.

Desyrel review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety,insomnia
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 25 mg in morning and 25 mg before bed for the period of 16 days so far

Benefits:   The first five days I felt amazing and I have had great sleeps for the 16 days.
Side effects:   After the 5th day, I still slept well but my anxiety returned. My balance has been off, I am extremely tired all day, there is a bad taste in my mouth which alters the taste of food. My mouth is so dry that I drink non-stop and cough a lot. What made me decide to quit this drug before the month trial is the fact that I have this really bad memory loss. I forget where I live, my dog's name, my employees' names. I would look at a steak and not remember what it was called. I would stare blankly. My job is detail oriented and I could not concentrate.
Comments:   I am supposed to take 50 mg a day. I was told to take 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at bedtime or 50 mg at bedtime or 50 mg in the morning. Whatever works. There are so many side effects that the good night sleep will have to be given up. I can't stand a drug taking control of my body. I hope there is a better treatment. I have a call into my doctor.