Depakote (Divalproex) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Depakote (Divalproex) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 2 ratings/reviews, Depakote has an overall score of 7. The effectiveness score is 10 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Depakote review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Bi-polar disorder
Dosage & duration:   450 mg at night taken every day for the period of 10 years
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   Prozac, Lithium

Benefits:   Made the patient feel normal pretty much.
Side effects:   Depakote made me sleepy at first, so we switched the dose to nighttime instead of day and night. Prozac, I have some ear pain from it. Lithium upsets my stomach if I take too much at one time, so I don't. I take one pill in the morning, and one in the evening.
Comments:   I see a psychiatrist regularly. He originally prescribed me Prozac many years ago, when I started seeing him after my husband left me abruptly alone with a three-year old son. I felt like I was losing my mind. The prozac helped calm me, but it was really when I began taking the Depakote that I began to feel good about myself, and anchored enough to take care of my son, who is now 19.

Depakote review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Seizure disorder
Dosage & duration:   can't recall (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Major Depression, migraine, hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid, Remeron, Klonepin

Benefits:   The med. controlled my seizure disorder.
Side effects:   The side effects were terrible. I endured daily moderate to severe headaches which I had to treat with high dosage of ibuprofen and a 50 lb. weight gain over two months on a 5'2" frame with no change in my diet. I could not shake the weight until I discontinued taking the med.
Comments:   Treatment was to take the med. daily. It controlled the seizure disorder but the side effects were too much for me. I talked to the physician after two years and said it's gotta go. He then prescribed Lamictal and I lost 40 lbs. in one month--simply by stopping the Depakote.