Darvocet-N (Propoxyphene / Acetaminophen) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Darvocet-N (Propoxyphene / Acetaminophen) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Darvocet-N has an overall score of 5.75. The effectiveness score is 7 and the side effect score is 6.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Darvocet-N review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain
Dosage & duration:   1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours taken 1 tablet every 6-8 hours for the period of 1-2 days

Benefits:   Treatment benefits were to address pain and discomfort. It was perscribed to me after I was in the hospital instead of Vicaden (spelling?), as Vicaden does not suite me well. The medication began working after about 45 minutes of taking it and (for me) lasted over 6 hours.
Side effects:   Treatment side effects for me were nausea and feeling unclear or 'loopy'. I found that if I took more than one pill within six hours, I became very nauseated. In addition, I would not have been able to function properly or drive a car comfortably because of the side effects with my clarity.
Comments:   The treatment was for pain and was taken by myself for a situation that could not have been allieviated by medical attention. I had an ovarian cyst rupture. My doctor and the ER told me there was really nothing for them to do other than wait for it to be reabsorbed. So, pain medication was my last resort. I took a few of these pills over two days to help alleviate my extreme pain.

Darvocet-N review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain relief after outpatient hernia surgery
Dosage & duration:   650 mg taken 1 every 4 hours for the period of 3 doses/about 12 hours

Benefits:   initial drowsiness
Side effects:   After 12 hours from the first dose, I experienced dizziness even lying down, then nausea. I threw up periodically for the subsequent 12 hours, until it was completely out of my system.
Comments:   Propoxyphene was prescribed with some hesitance by my surgeon, because I am allergic/sensitive to codeine products, and throw up with it as well. The follow-up call from the pre-op nurse advised me to discontinue (which I had already done) and try Tylenol instead. I had been able to tolerate Darvocet 14 years ago after a c-section. I am petite, at 5'4" and 104 lbs.

Darvocet-N review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   arthritic joint pain/carpal tunnel
Dosage & duration:   100/650 (dosage frequency: 1 tablet 3 times daily as needed) for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   coronary artery disease
Other drugs taken:   metropolol

Benefits:   affording daily movement and ability to continue to perform daily household duties, employment, and still afford me ability to enjoy activities with husband and grandchildren.
Side effects:   Some stomach discomfort and mild queasiness but I found taking 1/2 tablets at a time with ample fluids usually alleviated problems.
Comments:   carpal tunnel from job related injury and arthritis degeneration of my vertebrae requires daily regimine for pain and movement. Several medications tried such as ibruprofin, allieve, demoral etc caused many unpleasent and intolerable side effects. The Darvocet taken 1/2 tablet 4-6 times daily works perfectly as nearly can be expected. I also do not experience any bothersome toxicity or effectiveness problems as I generally would afford myself time-out days allowing my system a break from routines. I believe without this medication life would be greatly less enjoyable and my abilities to participate in a positive manner would be extremely limited.

Darvocet-N review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain after surgery
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet taken every 6-8 hrs for the period of 2 wks

Benefits:   The Darvocet helped with the pain very well in the beginning after returning home from the hospital, but within a week and a half I began to feel as if it weren't helping as much and I needed more. After my two weeks were up on taking it, I gradually just didn't need it any more.
Side effects:   During treatment I would get very weepy and depressed any time I was awake. Of course I slept for hours after I would take it. Other than those two things there were no side effects.
Comments:   I had surgery for endometriosis that left me in the hospital for over a week. The doctor had to cut my stomach totally across the bottom to rid my body of the diseased tissue. I'd been on morphine in the hospital, then came home taking the Darvocet for the next two weeks.