Cytomel (Liothyronine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Cytomel (Liothyronine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Cytomel has an overall score of 9.50. The effectiveness score is 9.50 and the side effect score is 10. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Cytomel review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroid - Hashimoto's disease
Dosage & duration:   5mcg tablet taken 2 times per day for the period of still taking it (5 years so far)
Other conditions:   very tired, no energy, foggy memory
Other drugs taken:   Levothyroxine 112mcg; omeprazole 20mg; advair 250-50; maxair; fluticasone 50 mcg; Intal Inhaler

Benefits:   Increased energy and memory. Levothyroxine treatment alone was not working well. The combination works much better.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, my doctor’s would treat with basically the Levothyroxine. The levels would be increased until I was “in the range”, but I never felt quite right. I was still very tired and my memory, especially short-term, was really bad. I went to a couple endocrinologists, with the first one diagnosing the hypothyroidism as a result of Hashimoto’s disease. Even with this diagnosis, the first endocrinologist did not suggest other treatments and I continued to suffer with excessive tiredness and memory problems. I decided to go for a second opinion, and this endocrinologist told me that some individuals react better with a combination treatment of Levothyroxine and Cytomel. This seemed to turn me around. The memory and tiredness have gotten better, still not optimal. It seems as long as one is “in the range”, doctors are hesitant to push the envelope. I would like to see physicians listen to their patients and adjust the meds until they feel better, not just go “by the range”.

Cytomel review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   5 mcg (dosage frequency: 2 per day) for the period of still taking it - 4 years
Other drugs taken:   Levoxyl

Benefits:   Levoxyl improved lab results, but I still felt tired, had dry skin and some constipation. Adding Cytomel fine tuned treatment and all symptoms resolved.
Side effects:   There were none - all I felt was better.
Comments:   I took 100 mg Levoxyl, which provides a thyroid hormone called T4. It's success depends on the body's ability to convert T4 to T3; adding Cytomel proves T3 (the active hormone) directly. I now take 10 mcg Cytomel along with 100 mg Levoxyl and symptoms of low thyroid have resolved.

Cytomel review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   5 mcg (dosage frequency: 5 x per day or all at once) for the period of 8 years & still taking
Other conditions:   menopause
Other drugs taken:   levoxyl

Benefits:   when the standard treatment for hypothyroid didn't work to raise my baseline t3 & t4 levels, i continued to experience all of the low thyroid symptomsA: coldness, lethargic, depression, etc. by taking cytomel on the 5 x daily basis, i have very close to normal functioning thyroid activity.
Side effects:   the effects are good, if I took all at once as originally prescribed i got too jittery and hot initially, followed by a bit of a crash. the way to do it is throughout the day in the smaller dose.
Comments:   I'm not quite sure what you mean. but my treatment is once a day levoxyl prescription and 5 times a day cytomel prescription. I have annual blood work and see an endicrinologist now only one time every two years. although i had seen him initially much more frequently.

Cytomel review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   25 mcg (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 40 days
Other conditions:   fibromyalgia
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid 50 mcg, daily

Benefits:   I am now wide awake--for the first time in YEARS!!! My body aches have lessened greatly. I am alert. I can keep up with the housework. I have a better memory, concentration, and overall mood. I have regained my creativity. My appetite/desire to overeat has decreased, though I still have an appetite. I just eat like a normal person, now. I don't suffer from emotional or boredom eating. I am steadily losing weight--8 lbs. so far. I also have the energy and desire to exercise, something that I couldn't do before. I feel like someone handed me my life back!
Side effects:   It took time to figure out when to take the medicine. From everything I've read, I am supposed to take it in the morning. But, that made me wide awake, even at night, and it interfered with my meal schedule. So, now I take it around 11 P.M. I still sleep well, something new for me, and can easily wake up, feeling alert throughout the day. I've NEVER felt this way before. It's awesome!
Comments:   Synthroid--50 mcg. + Liothyronine--25 mcg., both daily, around 11 P.M. + magnesium--400 mg. + Vitamin D3 (alternating between 2000 mg. and 4000 mg.), daily (My body's not absorbing the Vit. D3 very well--will get rechecked in a week.) Have these levels checked by your doctor. 90% of people are deficient in Vitamin D and low in magnesium. These are essential to your body's wellness.