Cymbalta (Duloxetine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Cymbalta (Duloxetine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 42 ratings/reviews, Cymbalta has an overall score of 6.81. The effectiveness score is 7.62 and the side effect score is 7.19. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Cymbalta review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   90mg taken once a day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   fibromyalgia, HBP
Other drugs taken:   lipitor, lasix,

Benefits:   Less pain, better mood
Side effects:   Constipation
Comments:   Took cymbalta once a day every day

Cymbalta review by 55 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   fybromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   120mg taken once a day for the period of one year
Other drugs taken:   synthroid, allegra, topamax, and Meloxicam

Benefits:   for severe pain and acheness
Side effects:   none
Comments:   I had severe pain from stiffness, achyness, nerve pain in the muscles in my whole body. In the morning it would take me ten minutes to get from my bed to the bathroom and I would be crying all the way because of the pain. Cymbalta is a miracle drug. When added to my other medications for pain it made all the difference in the world and I was able to function pretty normal. Thank God!

Condition / reason:   fibromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once daily for the period of three months
Other conditions:   undifferentiated connective tissue disease
Other drugs taken:   prednisone, leflunomide

Benefits:   Considerable reduction in muscle pain and increased energy
Side effects:   panic attacks for the first few weeks, followed by mild tachycardia, moderate diarrhea, mild tinnitus
Comments:   Cymbalta was started at 20 mg for two weeks, then increased to 40 mg. Dropped again to 20 mg after about a month in hopes of reducing side effects, but 40 mg turned out to be the effective does.

Cymbalta review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg taken 1 daily for the period of 1 yr
Other conditions:   Hypertension; arthritis
Other drugs taken:   maxide

Benefits:   Daily anxiety lessened considerably. When stressful situations arise I am better able to handle them although I am still able to feel somewhat anxious which is good. I don't want to be a zombie with no feelings at all.
Side effects:   There is a possibility of elevated blood pressure but my medication for the blood pressure seems to be doing the job.
Comments:   I just take 1 pill daily.

Cymbalta review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   80 mg taken once per day for the period of 9 mos
Other drugs taken:   HRT

Benefits:   increased ability to cope
Side effects:   extremely bad stomach burning
Comments:   support during life stress

Cymbalta review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   peripheral neuropathy
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken once a day for the period of since May 2006
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   gabapentin, elavil

Benefits:   I suffered chronic pain and sleep disruption because of the PN of unknown cause (not diabetes). I also suffered mild depression because of the chronic pain. Cymbalta began to relieve my symptoms almost immediately (and the depression as well.) I still have pain,sometimes better,sometimes worse, but this drug in combination with others (see above) as well as consistent exercise has helped tremendously.
Side effects:   The gabapentin, which I was taking long before cymbalta, made me sleepy, but on the day after a night of disrupted sleep, the fatique can be overwhelming. Also, for the first six months or so, I had a lot of gas and stomach rumblings. When I first started on cymbalta, I felt very spacey and light-headed but that passed after a couple of weeks. My internist thinks my blood pressure is up slightly because of the cymbalta
Comments:   I take cymbalta in combination with 2800 mg gabapentin and 25 mg elavil.

Cymbalta review by 53 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   90mg taken daily for the period of 1yr

Benefits:   This drug after it reached therapeutic levels in my body resulted in a lifting of my depression. I was able to function in life in a more normal way. I "just felt like doing things". Before i was struggling to get things accomplished.
Side effects:   I felt jittery at first. I also had excessive salivation for several weeks. These side effects passed after three weeks. Sexual I had more difficulty gaining an erection and it was very difficult reaching orgasm.
Comments:   Made me feel jittery at first. Also excessive salivation. It took about 4 weeks for this to pass. Two months depression lifted.

Condition / reason:   depression, anxiety & pain
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken 1/day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   fibromyalgia, hypothyroid
Other drugs taken:   simvistatin, trazadone

Benefits:   Stopped chest pain, heart palpitations and anxiety. Didn't work so well on the pain tho. Overall gave me a sense of well being and did not interfere with sex drive.
Side effects:   Mild dizziness, nausea that went away after about 2 weeks.
Comments:   Have taken the cymbalta for a year and the results are great. In addition, I exercise 3x per week. Have tried all the other SSRI meds and they made me feel like a zombie.

Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken 1x a day for the period of 12 months
Other drugs taken:   lexapro

Benefits:   More energy, the pall that was hanging over me was lifted. I became me again. I did not just cruise through life having no connection, I was engaged again.
Side effects:   Drowsiness. Both the Lexapro and the Cymbalta makes me tired during the day, neccesitating a nap.
Comments:   Cymbalta 20 mg 2x a day for one weeek to get acclimated to it. Cymbalta 60 mg 1x a day.

Cymbalta review by 56 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg taken once a day for the period of tablet form
Other conditions:   no other conditions

Benefits:   The benifit of taking the drug was to decrease the symptoms of depression and anxiety. In addition, the drug did not suppress the libido on the opposite it increase the sexual desire.
Side effects:   Side effects were many. THEre was a decrease in energy levels and dizzines. There was weight gain. At the end of the 30 days period the feelings of depression were still an issue
Comments:   The treatment consisted of taking 30mg every morning for thirty days. Also, started an exercise program to increase the endorphins levels in the brain. The doctor suggested fifteen minutes of sunshine a day. After the thirty days period the follow up consisted of answering questions about the positive and negative effects of the drug. After reviewing the answers it was determined that I needed to be on a higher dosage because the symptoms of depression were still an issue. The increase in dosage was from 30mg to 60mg and still at the end of thirty days there was mo change in the symptoms. Finally I had to switch to another medication which so far it has worked fine.

Cymbalta review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   situational atypical depression
Dosage & duration:   120 mg taken once per day for the period of 3+ months
Other conditions:   hypertension, adhd
Other drugs taken:   Lisinopril, Vivance

Benefits:   Cymbalta takes effect quickly -- within days, as opposed to weeks -- and relieves one's sense of hopelessness, futility and fatigue during a deep depression. At higher doses, a sense of purpose and direction to one's life was also restored, allowing the patient (in this case, me) to exercise better judgment and effective follow through on plans and decisions.
Side effects:   I haven't noticed any overt side-effects. For me this medication has been extremely effective and very easy to use.
Comments:   Two 60 mg. capsules first thing in the morning.

Cymbalta review by 52 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg/day taken daily for the period of 2 + years
Other conditions:   hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   naturthroid

Benefits:   I switched from Zoloft because the Cymbalta wasn't supposed to effect libido negatively. Having ended my marriage and gone through menopause I don't feel I can judge that aspect fairly. However, I feel the Cymbalta is much more effective in keeping the dark cloud off my head, allowing me to be more positive toward life on a consistent basis.
Side effects:   Dry mouth.
Comments:   I really notice when I miss just one dose; it takes 2 - 3 days to catch up, but then I become very aware of negative feelings and apathy. I am careful to take the dose in the mornings so it doesn't affect my sleep, but have taken as late as 4pm and not had sleep issues.

Cymbalta review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   fibromyalgia and depression
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken daily for the period of over a year..closer to two years
Other conditions:   hypertensio, hypothyrodisn, arthritis, high cholesterol. obesity
Other drugs taken:   leschol. diovan, synthyroid, vicodin,zanoflex, neurontin, welbutrin

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   I had little motivation, I felt like I was in a daze, my memory was worse
Comments:   I have recurrent major depression. This medication was prescribed to deal with a severe episode. When I stopped taking the medication after at least a year, my memory rapidly improved and I felt more alive. I had a very bad experience with this drug.

Cymbalta review by 21 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Chronic neck/back pain, chronic tension headache
Dosage & duration:   60mg-90mg taken x1/day for the period of 4 Months
Other conditions:   Depression, Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Klonopin

Benefits:   Quickly helped with depression and nearly eliminated pain soon after starting. Effects lasted for roughly four months.
Side effects:   Initially euphoria (lasted about three days), afterwards urinary hesitancy (stopped after about two months), dry mouth, mild fatigue, anorgasma.
Comments:   Started using Cymbalta 60mg to primarily for chronic tension headaches and neck/back pain and the resulting depression from chronic pain. Worked wonderfully for about three months then slowly lost effectiveness. Tried increasing to 90mg with little response. Ended up switching antidepressants and finding different means to treat the pain. It was a good drug when it worked, but unfortunately it didn't last very long. It also acts on serotonin like an SSRI and started my dependency on SSRIs.

Cymbalta review by 20 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Chronic Back Pain/Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken 1 per day for the period of 3rd day taking Drug. Ongoing
Other drugs taken:   Ultram,Valium

Benefits:   Hello all ! Through the past two years I was diagnosed with Shuermann's Kyphosis, a degenerative back disease in the lower spinal column. Throughout the past two years I have been on and off intensive narcotic pain killers, Ie. Vicodin ES,Percocet,MS Contin etc.. I knew enough was enough, so like that I stopped taking them. I have no side effects whatsoever. I have been through and still ongoing physical therapy ( 4th session 1 session is 3 weeks ) and been too four Orthopedic doctors and spinal specialists. My doctor and I discussed a long term pain application to get me off taking narcotics. I am no pro, but I know that opiates are the best for bad chronic pain, which i experience every day in my life. My doctor and I talked about Cymbalta which can be used to tone down the pain level sensors in the brain so I am not experiencing so much pain. I also have high levels of depression, and anxiety. Recently my Aunt and Uncle passed away which they practically raised me when I was born in Ireland, and my Sister's deaths was even more of a add on. I felt myself slipping into a deep black hole, and was looking for cheap thrills just to keep myself from going crazy ( literally ). Anyways, it has been my third day on this prescription, and I feel like a new person. I find myself enjoying simplistic things, and taking initiative in my life to pursue my goals and education. I am currently unemployed and as a young adult it is very hard to maintain money flow with no job. I am enrolled and taking college courses which I have 2 more semesters left before I receive my degree. In one of my classes (Chemistry) We are assigned a Science experiment. Mine, will be for depression and pain levels which will I am using Cymbalta. I recorded myself for two weeks, and then the first day after each dose of the drug. I am feeling alive, and that classical person everyone enjoys being around. I have read a lot about this drug and how it fails or makes situations worse. But for me it is working, and I am consistent in my daily routine. I shall continue to document all of my feelings and side effects from this prescription.
Side effects:   I have no side effects at the moments. This drug is being used for a dual purpose action as stated in my recordings. I feel that this has a mixed review. For me I was given two weeks of trials, and then 10 refills. So my advice to any of you, is to ask your care giver for a sample of any drug you take before you make it a routine pill. It takes 3-6 weeks for a Human to become physically and mentally dependant. I am very pleased overall otherwise.
Comments:   1 pill (30mg) Per day, in the morning.

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   30/60 (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of a week
Other conditions:   Anxiety

Benefits:   Taking the medicine was only once a day at the time I chose to take it. It helped me most during stressed situations of any size. I could handle anything and not get angry.
Side effects:   Mild headache and mild stomach ache
Comments:   I take Cymbalta for depression and anxiety. Right away I noticed a difference in my behavior. It took awhile for them to even out, so I didn't rely on my next dose.

Cymbalta review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Major Depressive Disorder/Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken 1 daily for the period of 1 year ongoing...

Benefits:   Effect took place within 2 days, lifting me from a deep deep depression where I was at the point of a breakdown. Helped me stay in my job and continue life normally. Although after a year , I feel some symptoms are worming their way back in, but that could be pscyhological.
Side effects:   The only side effect I have noticed is "electric shock" type feelings if i am a good few hours late. Try not to be late!
Comments:   none

Condition / reason:   Depression/Anxiety

Side effects:   Mild headache and mild stomach ache

Dosage & duration:   30 mg per day taken daily for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   mood swings

Benefits:   Stabilized moods. Made me feel like "me". Allowed me to work much more effectively. Increased focus. Completely stopped crying jags (would get so down I'd cry over very little).
Side effects:   Bad reaction with Alcohol. Allows me to drink more. Dry mouth when first taking. Harder to orgasm but actually increased libido. Side effects are not serious to me. Well worth it for the benefits.
Comments:   daily dose. Very consistent use.

Cymbalta review by 47 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   depression pain
Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once for the period of once
Other conditions:   hep c
Other drugs taken:   duragesic patch 25

Benefits:   none
Side effects:   I had visionary disturbances,my pupils got huge and I had a horrible panic attack,trouble breathing,profuse sweating pain in neck and chest,fainting feeling of impending doom.I had two attacks within 20 mins.I passed out and awoke with a migraine which lasted 2 days.I still have eye twitches that won't go away and bad headaches.It has been 5 weeks ago.This drug nearly killed me and I still have residual effects from it.I called my doctors as soon as I was able and the one GI that prescribed it said "well your not taking it anymore are you?"my GP says after I tell him I think I had a heart attack and These migraines and eye twitches wont stop "I wish I could give you something to forget that experience"I wasn't even clinically depressed,I was sad I was just diagnosed with Hep c.I need to get help from a doctor who cares that this drug harmed me.
Comments:   one every morning increase to two after 7 days Took one and almost died

Cymbalta review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken daily for the period of Four months
Other drugs taken:   Adderall

Benefits:   I was in a better mood. Less crying and less over thinking.
Side effects:   I experienced dry mouth, involving white build up on my tounge. Also it lowered my energy level and I would nap a lot as a result
Comments:   I take 60 mg of Cymbalta in the evening on a daily basis.

Cymbalta review by 59 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   The benefits are less depression and better mood. It took about two weeks until I started to feel better but now I feel I may need something a bit stronger as I feel I am too used to taking this medication. I plan to ask for a higher dosage or different medication.
Side effects:   Really none.
Comments:   I don't really know what the details would be except that I started with 20mg and was increased to 30mg within two weeks.

Condition / reason:   Fibromyalgia and depression
Dosage & duration:   90 mg daily taken daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   Hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   I only noticed a very small benefit from taking Cymbalta for my muscle pain.
Side effects:   Cymbalta elevated my liver enzymes acutely after only being on the drug for a few months. The doctor then titrated me off of it and it took three months after I stopped Cymbalta before my liver went back to normal. Just be sure to have your liver enzymes checked regularly if you are on this drug.
Comments:   I was on 90 mg daily, one dose of 60 mg and one dose of 30 mg. It was prescribed to me for fibromyalgia and depression, however, I did not notice much improvement on this drug but I was not on it for a real long time either so it may just take longer to notice benefit but it definitely affected my liver. My mom also has the same problem with Cymbalta and her liver enzymes.

Condition / reason:   Sever Depression
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken daily one pill for the period of 4 months and currently taking
Other conditions:   Anxiety, Panic, OCD
Other drugs taken:   Metformin, Xanax

Benefits:   This medication saved my life. The depression had gotten so sever that I was unable to function properly. It has made me feel like a 'real' person again. It has not done much for the anxiety, panic, or OCD. The Xanax helps with that area. I will be going to the psychiatrist in 2 weeks for the anxiety, panic, and OCD. Hoping to stay on the Cymbalta. I was on Lexapro 30mg from 2000-2006. Then switched to Celexa (cost reasons) 60mg from 2007-2008. The Celexa just about costed me my life. It was ineffective for the Depression. Try not to take Celexa for cost reasons, Lexapro shows much more promise in its effectiveness.
Side effects:   Weight gain, which is to be expected when you "feel better"
Comments:   Depression and Anxiety

Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken once daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   ADHD
Other drugs taken:   Adderall

Benefits:   Worked very well to relieve depression and anxiety. Left me feeling overall much calmer and more content. Little things just wouldn't bother me anymore. I stopped caring about things that used to upset me.
Side effects:   At first nausea, decreased appetite, dizziness, lightheadedness, and a sort of "high" or "stoned" feeling. These disappeared after several weeks. Libido also slightly decreased, though not as bad as with other anitdepressants.
Comments:   Took medication as prescribed.

Cymbalta review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Chronic tension headaches/ mild depression
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken once a day for the period of 1 week
Other conditions:   mild depression
Other drugs taken:   Flexeril 10mg

Benefits:   My Dr. prescribed Cymbalta to treat my chronic tension headaches. I was on Lexapro for a little over a year, but gained about 30 pounds. Due to the excessive weight gain I gradually went off the Lexapro. Well- about 5 weeks later my headaches came back. My Dr. reccomended Cymbalta b/c it "weight neutral" and also has pain relieving properties.
Side effects:   I haven't experienced any typical anti-depressant side effects with Cymbalta (dry mouth, nausea, heart racing, figgity). The only thing I have noticed is a few hrs after I take it I get really tired, and could use a nap. So, I'm going to try taking it later in the day so I don't crash in the middle of the day.
Comments:   Cymbalta was presribed for me to treat my chronic tension headaches and mild depresion.

Cymbalta review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression anxiety
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken daily for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   3 ruptured discs nerve pain
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin ultram

Benefits:   Lower levels of sciatiaca pain. Light lifting of depression. Also helped slightly with anger
Side effects:   Gas headaches high blood pressure. Overall feeling of severe agitaion( really want to hit or break something)
Comments:   Severe depression from being molested. Severe back pain. Social withdrawal. I think agitation side effects are from stopping wellbutrin. I was addicted to morphine, percoset, xanax adipex and testoserone(inj). Psch now thinks I'm bipolar. Heard many terrible stories bout stopping cymbalta. Be careful with this one I felt better being on crazy strong cocktail of 180mg morphine, 100 mg of percos,2-200mg injections of testosteron, 60 mg of adipex and 6mg of xanax daily. Life sux now. Not used to having to control my temper. Never wanted to be a junkie but not sure its not better than tearing someones head off..literally!

Cymbalta review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and depression
Dosage & duration:   30mg once a day for 2 weeks, then 60mg taken once a day for the period of still taking
Other conditions:   food addiction, crying, stress, short term memory loss, overwhelmed
Other drugs taken:   no

Benefits:   a feeling of caring but not really caring. I feel like i become emotionally involved to deeply and this drug has kept me on the "surface" for lack of a better term.
Side effects:   dry mouth and nausea for first 4 days. started taking at night only and didn't notice if it was making me tired, switched to day and seems to make me feel as if i need a nap but i am studying biology right now. might switch to nights again
Comments:   30mg once a day for 2 weeks, then 60mg

Cymbalta review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   nerve damage from brachial plexitus
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken daily for the period of 6 months+

Benefits:   significant decrease to nerve pain to arm
Side effects:   constipation
Comments:   I have a history of a brachial plexus injury 8 years ago that has led to progressive increase in nerve pain to my right arm to the point I could no longer lift my camera and was in constant pain throughout the day. It was interfering with work and sleep. In the past, I was treated with short term steroids that masked pain and allowed me to participate in physical therapy. Results were always minimal, but better than nothing. After trying one medication for fibromyalgia unsuccessfully, my doctor agreed to try me on Cymbalta. It took about a month, but the results have been terrific.

Cymbalta review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Fibromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   20-60 mg. taken 1x per day for the period of 2 months
Other conditions:   adrenal fatigue
Other drugs taken:   low-dose naltrexone

Benefits:   It seemed to relax me, which reduced some of the muscle pain that I had been having. It seemed to slightly reduce the nerve pain, but not enough to warrant taking it long-term. Other than that, I did not notice benefits specific to my fibromyalgia symptoms. It did seem to neutralize my feelings however. I could not experience deep sadness. So, I can see how it would help with people suffering from depression.
Side effects:   I experienced drowsiness in the first 1-2 weeks which went away. At night, I experienced dry mouth and dry eyes, usually beginning about 8pm through bedtime. I am a bit more drowsy in the morning. It takes a bit longer to wake up completely in the morning.
Comments:   I took 20 mg. 1x per day (in the morning) for the first week, gradually working up to 60mg. 1x per day. After 2 months, I am tapering down again. 60mg made me too drowsy.

Cymbalta review by 44 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken daily for the period of days
Other conditions:   hiatal hernia
Other drugs taken:   kapadex

Benefits:   took it at night and the depression was lifted the next day! Made me feel happy and with no cares in the world. Had a much better mood and outlook on life! I didn't get angry as easily and my overall mood was stable. I also felt more like my "normal" old self!!
Side effects:   drowsiness but couldn't stay asleep, weird dreams that jolted me awake, jitters, day drowsiness, weakness/tingling in extremeties, zombie like at times due to the drowsiness.I also felt I had a cloudy mind at times.
Comments:   Given for depression as a sample. began with 30 mg but due to the side effects the dr. decreased it to half a capsule sprinkled on food. was still too strong. didn't feel as good as far as my moods/depression go, and still felt the jitters. Didn't feel as drowsy. I suspect that I could tolerate this medication after the side effects subsided or decreased after a few weeks, but because I work I couldn't wait...I would have been jittery and yet like a zombie for work and that was not an option

Condition / reason:   fibromyalgia
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   weight loss and headaches
Other drugs taken:   focalin

Benefits:   eased depression , helped sleep By submitting an online review, you agree that all information contained in your review is original and accurate, and that the submission of such content by you and the posting of such content by DrugLib.com do not and will not violate the rights of any third party. You also agree that all submitted reviews and copyright thereof become the sole property
Side effects:   no appetite, lack of mental focus By submitting an online review, you agree that all information contained in your review is original and accurate, and that the submission of such content by you and the posting of such content by DrugLib.com do not and will not violate the rights of any third party. You also agree that all submitted reviews and copyright thereof become the sole property
Comments:   cymbalta for depression and fibromyalga sleep problems; focail for energy and concentration By submitting an online review, you agree that all information contained in your review is original and accurate, and that the submission of such content by you and the posting of such content by DrugLib.com do not and will not violate the rights of any third party. You also agree that all submitted reviews and copyright thereof become the sole property

Cymbalta review by 51 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken 1 po qd for the period of 2 different times each for 5 months
Other conditions:   achey joints, hands

Benefits:   It itnitially helped a great deal. The first 2 days I slept and I felt really good for a change. My aches and pains seemed to vanish. I had energy and felt motivated. My "quick to aggravate" temperment diminished as well.
Side effects:   The first 2 days on it I slept. Then by the fourth to fifth month, I started to experience heart palpitations at an increasing rate daily. I was weaned off and restarted 6 or so months later and once again, by the 4-5 month range, the palpitations started to increase again. During the first round, I had a dimished appetite and lost 15 lbs. During the second round, it didn't seem to affect my appetite either way.
Comments:   I was started on 30 mg po qd for 2 weeks then increased to 60 mg po qd.

Cymbalta review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   major depression
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken daily for the period of over a year

Benefits:   Cymbalta got me out of a major depression. I am still taking it. It also relieved my back pain for about 6 months but that good effect has diminished. While I still am not the happiest camper, I am able to function normally. I was not able to function before the cymbalta. When I first got on it, I had extreme fatigue for several days and some "electric jolts" when I was lying down. However, that side-effect has gone. It also causes some constipation, which is something I've rarely experienced! I eat a very high-fiber diet but even so I'm not my "normal" regular self. I'm writing this because of all the negative things I've read online. If I had read them before I started the cymbalta I would not have gone it. I'm happy I did not read anything! I now feel that these reviews are written by people with miserable results, or people who are incredibly impatient and expect and instaneous cure are the folks writing most reviews.
Side effects:   I've stated most of the side-effects I had in the above paragraph. Basically these were: 1. severe fatigue that diminished over several days. 2. a few "electric jolts" that also disappeared after a couple of weeks. 3. constipation.
Comments:   I take 60 mg. once daily in the morning.

Cymbalta review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   pain and depression
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken once a day for the period of i've only been on it about 2 weeks
Other conditions:   hot flashes
Other drugs taken:   ambien

Benefits:   after taking 30mg for 4 days i realized in the middle of the night that i no longer had any pain any where in my body. before my whole body hurt. i'm thinking i must have had fibromyalgia. i still have no pain and therefore am able to move about more easily. i'm hoping this will last. i can't remember a time in my life when i had no pain. i also noticed that my hot flashes have all but deminished.
Side effects:   i noticed i was more tired during the day but i do believe that is beginning to wane. but i seem to be ok as long as i am active. it was well worth it to have no pain. this has been awesome.
Comments:   i started on 30mg once a day. i take it at night when i go to bed otherwise it gives me restless legs. after 2 weeks i started on 60mg. that has only been 2 days so i don't know how that is going to affect me yet. i do feel a little more light hearted.

Cymbalta review by 59 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   30, 45, 60 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of one month so far
Other conditions:   Confusion
Other drugs taken:   Ativan (lorazepam)

Benefits:   Slight anxiety reduction but minimal.
Side effects:   Insomnia! Dry mouth, at 60 mg. urinary retention (potentially very serious!), confusion, blurred reading vision, tight chest, anxiety attack (fast heart rate and fast, shallow breathing), lethargy.
Comments:   Started 15 then to 30 then 45 then 60. At 60 unfunctional and urinary retention! Back to 30 then 45. Doesn't seem to work for me after one month.

Cymbalta review by 84 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   initially 30 mg then 60mg taken each morning for the period of 2 months
Other drugs taken:   previously Zoloft

Benefits:   Initially prescribed 25mg Zoloft for depression , but after two weeks my condition was markedly worse. I realize that each of us have different tolerances to various substances, and after my GP changed the medication to 30mg daily of Cymbalta my condition started to improve, but relapsed after about 3 weeks. The assumption was that I had required the higher dose of 60mg daily, and since taking 60mg daily my condition has improved to be close to my normal happy self with interests in various things. My advice is to find the medication that 'agrees' with you and stick with it for at least 1 month.
Side effects:   Dry mouth. Constipation.
Comments:   Chewing gum to relieve dry mouth. Eating at least 8 prunes daily for constipation

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1x daily for the period of 3 years + (still on this regimen)
Other conditions:   ADHD
Other drugs taken:   Adderall XR

Benefits:   Significantly reduced anxiety without feeling 'damped down' or 'numbed'. Feel normal, but with reduced anxiety. Compared to short-halflife anti-anxiety medications, no feeling of emotional dependency on a once-daily ongoing regimen.
Side effects:   Generally rarely experience side effects. Taken on an empty stomach, mild transient nausea, but this is quickly addressed with any light snack. Discontinuation syndrome (when I have run out of the medication, or once when discontinued for 2 days due to elective surgery) is quite unpleasant.
Comments:   Prescribed to act synergistically with stimulants prescribed for ADHD: the stimulants tend to increase anxiety, which also increases the necessary therapeutic dose for the stimulants, so this very low dose of the multiple reuptake inhibitor effectively reduces the dosage needed of the stimulant for therapeutic effect. This combination enabled me to reduce my stimulant dosage by 50% and also decreased my anxiety very substantially--the effect was almost immediately remarked on by my partner as well as in my own subjective opinion.

Condition / reason:   Anxiety/ pain
Dosage & duration:   60 mg taken once per day for the period of One year

Benefits:   My pain and anxiety were considerably lower. I felt like any situation was controllable and I was much more effective at my daily tasks. The panic attacks, chest pains, and severe worry were almost completely gone. An added benefit was that muscle pain that I always seemed to have was also gone. I rarely had to take any pain meds. It seemed like a miracle.
Side effects:   At first I seemed a bit hot. I sweat more often. Then I began not being able to handle any stress at all. I began feeling like I needed other aids to help me deal with everyday stress and I have never needed anything before. Then my stomach began to act up. I began having constipation or diarrhea constantly. Never normal. I began throwing up and now my stomach does not digest food well at all. I also was unable to sleep, severe insomnia. I chose to take myself off the medication because the stomach issues have completely taken over my life and causing major disability. The side effect have intensified so much that I cannot function daily. Severe dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and my mind has been having lapses. Sometimes I cannot get out of bed. It has been over a week.
Comments:   60mg once a day. I took every morning.

Cymbalta review by 38 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30mg taken daily for the period of 2 months

Benefits:   I stopped overthinking thinks. My chest pain and tachycardia stopped. I felt like being silly and laughing again. I played more with my children. I had less social anxiety. I didn't have racing thoughts during the night anymore. I was less irritable. I FELT BETTER!!
Side effects:   Constipation that got better after 2-3 wks. Trouble maintaining sleep.
Comments:   N/A

Cymbalta review by 35 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   dystimia
Dosage & duration:   60mg/day taken daily for the period of 8 months for now
Other drugs taken:   deprax

Benefits:   When you are in a mild depression or dystimia the worst thing is that you are unable to think or concentrate, you feel sleep and tired all the day. It's like having a permament cloud in your mind. I think that this treatment is helping me a lot: now I have a sharper mind, I feel more energetic and I can concentrate properly.
Side effects:   The most annoying side side is insomnia and tremor. I take deprax to induce sleep but even with it I woke up very early. You can get used to some side effects like dry mouth, vivid dreaming and weight loss but tremor, although not serious, is very noticeable. I experienced delayed ejaculation at the begining but not now.
Comments:   The treatment consists of Cymbalta 60mg and Deprax 50 mg, but it has been changed many times. The most difficult has been to induce sleep for some hours without feeling too sleepy in the morning. I tried with Loramet and Diazepam but their effect last too much, it's impossible to concentrate. Deprax 100mg is the best I've taken to sleep. Now I'm taking just 50mg and I don't fall sleep so quick but it's fine, I have enough rest.

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken once a day for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   No treatment benefits
Side effects:   Confusion, memory loss,blurred vision,extreamly hot,chills,dizzy,shaking,out of body experience.
Comments:   I took 60mg sunday evening...everything was fine that night. Monday do not remeber what I cooked for diner lunch and I was careing for my two small children. Monday night took my dose again.....I dont remeber doing this but my medication was counted for. Tuesday morning I was severly sleepy, dizzy and felt like I was in space all day. Tuesday night I took my regular 60 mg does and with in 1 hr I was extremly stoned...I was confusd, dizzy extreme heat sensation running threw my feet,neck and arms. I got chill and goose bumps in between. I habe high anxiety. Tingly feeling runing up and down my legs. Felt like and out of body experience because I was so stoned. Withdrall from only 3 days of meds is very uncomfortable....migraine Cymbalta should be off the market. People should be more informed about the side effects and withdral of this drug.