Crestor (Rosuvastatin) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Crestor (Rosuvastatin) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 16 ratings/reviews, Crestor has an overall score of 6.56. The effectiveness score is 8.12 and the side effect score is 7.62. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Crestor review by 47 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   High Cholestrol
Dosage & duration:   1 pill per day taken daily for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   The treatment benefits were that my cholestrol levels went from 9 to the 4-5 level. This was demonstrated by regular blood test results.
Side effects:   The only side effect occured in the first 3 months, where slight aching of the joints and muscles was experienced. This disappeared after 3 months.
Comments:   A pill is taken every night before going to bed.

Crestor review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   hypercholesterolemia
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1 po qd for the period of continuous
Other drugs taken:   baby aspirin

Benefits:   much lower cholesterol
Side effects:   none
Comments:   Within 4 weeks of starting Crestor, my LDL cholesterol went from 169 to 65. That is drop of over 100! No side effects at all.

Crestor review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   High Colesteral
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   Diabeties Type II, High Blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Avandia, Lisinop/HCTZ

Benefits:   Lowered my colesteral from 225 to 156. Excellant results
Side effects:   No side effects that I am aware of.
Comments:   Take a pill once a day

Crestor review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   High cholesterol
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken daily for the period of Still taking it
Other conditions:   Famiy history of heart disease

Benefits:   My total cholesterol was lowered from 237 to 165 in 4 weeks. My HDL (good cholesterol) numbers were up and the LDLs (bad cholesterol) went down. My triglycerides were lowered as well.
Side effects:   I have not experienced any side effects from this medication.
Comments:   I had a heart scan after experiencing exercise-induced arrhythmia. One artery had 20-30% blockage, while the others were clear. Crestor and low dose aspirin were prescribed as an "aggressive form" of treatment. The cardiologist was very pleased with the results after only a month's trial. I would recommend Crestor to anyone contemplating statin treatment.

Crestor review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hypercholestremia
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken q.d. for the period of 3.5 years
Other conditions:   pre-diabetes

Benefits:   During first 12 months... lowered total cholesterol by 100 points, LDL by 90 points, and triglycerides by 74.11 months after starting medication, angina brought me to the ER. Cardiac catheterization was done and 60% blockage found. 1 Year after that,more angina, another cath. and no change in blockage was found.
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects and still continue that way. During the first year, my doctor was running labs every 3 months and at no time were any abnormalities noticed. He continues to do labs at 6 month intervals now and as of last one(3 weeks ago), still no problems noticed.
Comments:   Began dose at 20 mg/day and have remained at that dose for 3.5 years. During that first year I also made some nutritional modifications. I recognize now that it was a half-hearted effort, but the combination still provided very good results.As of today, my cholesterol numbers have gotten even better. total CHOL.=102 TRI=49 LDL=55 and HDL=37(started @38).I had lapband surgery 3 months ago and have made dramatic changes in nutrition in addition to the medication.

Crestor review by 48 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Very high cholesterol and family history of heart
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 tablet every evening for the period of 1 year so far, still taking it
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   ACE inhibitor

Benefits:   I didn't have any symptoms, so I don't feel any better or any worse after being on Crestor. My cholesterol has always been high during routine blood tests but around a year ago it had risen to 8 mmol/l (almost 300 ml/dl)and my HDL/LDL ratio was poor. Trigylserides were normal before taking Crestor after weight loss.
Side effects:   Surprisingly no side effects with Crestor even though it is the most potent of the statins. I had severe muscle pains with Lipitor and other statins and expected to have the same problems with Crestor. For some reason I didn't have these problems with Crestor.
Comments:   I was started on 10mg and retested after 10 weeks. My LDL (bad cholesterol) dropped significantly, HDL rose slightly and triglyserides dropped slightly (they were already in the normal range before). My liver enzymes were high before taking Crestor but had returned to normal when retested after 10 weeks (I don't know if Crestor had anything to do with this or not). Blood sugar levels were normal before and after taking Crestor, but slightly lower after. I am due to be tested again before the end of this year and also have a Cardio Stress Test. After a new doctor reviewed my medical history, he suggested I have a stress test even though I still haven't experienced any symptoms of heart disease. All ECG results at rest have been normal.

Crestor review by 52 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   5 mg. taken once daily for the period of 60 days

Benefits:   After 60 days on Crestor, 5 mg. per day, in combination with changes to my diet, my LDL (bad) cholesterol fell from 180 mg/dL (high risk) to 95 mg/dL (optimal), a drop of nearly half. My triglyceride levels were reduced as well.
Side effects:   One side effect my doctor warned me to watch for was loss of muscle density. I work out with weights usually three times a week. I noticed no loss of muscle size, tone, or strength while taking Crestor.
Comments:   Because my LDL cholesterol was in the "high risk" range by American Heart Assn. standards, it was important to lower my risk level quickly. In addition to taking 5 mg. of Crestor daily, I made disciplined adjustments to my diet. I cut out animal fats, including dairy fats (like cheese and ice cream). I cut out trans fats (like partially hydrogenated oils). I greatly increased my consumption of wheat bran and oat bran, and raw vegetables. I also took 500 mg. of time-release Niacin with my lunch each day. Once I got my LDL cholesterol down to below 100 mg/dL, my doctor revised my prescription to only 2.5 mg. Crestor per day. Since Crestor is not sold in this dosage, I must cut the pills in half. I was tested again after 60 days at this dosage, and my LDL was still below 100 mg/dL. And that was with a more relaxed diet.

Crestor review by 57 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   hypertension, diabetes ll
Other drugs taken:   micardis 40mg, diabex 500mg

Benefits:   lowered my cholesterol level over time; reduced the severity of dietary changes I needed to make for the same effect; reduced my anxiety about my potential risk of cardiac and cerebrovacular problems/events
Side effects:   I have not noticed any side effects; I am aware of the potential side effects and alert to symptoms of same.
Comments:   one tablet daily, no other sepcifications. I take all meds on retiring. I also take fish oil capsules.

Crestor review by 42 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   High Cholestrol
Dosage & duration:   10 MG taken everyday for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   Severe pain in legs.
Other drugs taken:   Effexior, Merapex, and Synthroid

Benefits:   To lower my cholestrol, but never did and I had severe pain in my legs. I thought I had blood cots. I even went to my doc and he couldn't figure it out. I talked to a friend and she had to stop using Crestor because of severe pains in her legs.
Side effects:   N/A
Comments:   N/A

Crestor review by 69 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high cholesterol
Dosage & duration:   5 milligrams (dosage frequency: every other day) for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Amlodopine

Benefits:   Cholesterol was lowered but would have needed larger dose to meet desirable levels.
Side effects:   After about eight months started experiencing numbness in hands and arms during the night severe enought that I could not sleep. After two months of this started having extreme pain and discomfort in upper back and shoulder blades during the day.
Comments:   Pain and numbness went away after discontinuing use of drug.

Crestor review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   cholesterol
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 a day for the period of 1year
Other drugs taken:   asprin low dose

Benefits:   my cholesterol is well controlled now.blood test show my cholesterol is under control now. down from 6.5 to 3.6
Side effects:   none. i found this drug very effectivewith no side effects what so ever. i am about to lower the dose to 5mg as a maintenance treatment. my blood tests proved the effectivness of Crestor. from 6.5 down to 3.6
Comments:   1 pill taken on the morning each day.

Crestor review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   very high cholestrol level 9.1
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 pill per day for the period of 1 yr & stopped for 6 mths,then tak' aga
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   health supplements

Benefits:   Stops the cholestrol level dramatically.
Side effects:   Once you take it, you cannot stop. I took the pill for one year. At that time my cholestrol level was pretty well controlled. It dropped from 8.6 to 5.1. I stopped the pills and the cholestrol level immediately rise even higher than before (9.1)
Comments:   One pill per day after meal.

Crestor review by 64 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   familial hypercholesterolaemia
Dosage & duration:   20 mgms taken once per day for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   2 partial arterial blockages, labile blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Coversyl, Metoprolol tartrate,

Benefits:   Crestor reduced my LDLC dramatically. Unfortunately there is no evidence that Crestor reduces heart attack risk or other cardiac event or reduces plaques. Stents and bypasses have not been proven to promote longevity either - merely to alleviate discomfort. My blood pressure went as low as 80/40 which made me faint
Side effects:   After nine weeks liver function test was abnormal - GGT, ALT, AST [liver function indicators] more than doubled - also loss of libido Congestion in the lungs and frequent coughing [said to be from the Coversyl] My sister who had muscle weakness on Lipitor, is already getting cramps [on 40 mgm dose of] Crestor after only eight months.
Comments:   I started on 10 milligrams and after three weeks my total cholesterol went from 11.5 [449] to 7.5 [293] [so i increased the dose to 20 mgm. After three more weeks my total cholesterol dropped to 5.2 and my LDL was 3.7 [NB multiply by 39 to convert to US measures] - this was still too high - the next level in Crestor is 40 mgm - i am now taking no blood pressure medication and no Crestor my regime is lots of exercise, a good diet , no refined sugar or trans fats, olive and macadamia oils, a glass of red wine and Vit E 440iu [instead of aspirin] Vit C 3 grams per day and lysine and proline 3 gms each per day [a la linuspauling.com] - after six months i get no side effects - and no symptoms!

Crestor review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high cholesterol and triglycerides (21.1!)
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once per day for the period of 2 1/2 years
Other conditions:   nil
Other drugs taken:   ezetrol in combination with crestor

Benefits:   cholesterol and trigl. went down
Side effects:   after 1 year severe pain/cramps in the feet (plantar fasciitis), over the 2 years about 20 kg weight gain, after 2 years very swollen legs: lymph oedema and now (2 1/2 years) i can hardly walk, so much pain in lower legs, lower back. I stopped with crestor and after 1 week; no more leg pain, i can walk again, no more tight feelings in my feet. NO MORE CRESTOR!
Comments:   used tablets for 2 1/2 years, did not realise that the cramps after 1 year could be a side effect so i kept on taking the tablets, still didn't realize it when i got these enormous swollen legs. By the way Ezetrol gives me dizzyness (vertigo) so I chucked him away too.

Crestor review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypercholesteremia
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 4 weeks
Other conditions:   hypertension
Other drugs taken:   lisinopril and HCTZ

Benefits:   reduced total cholesterol significantly (by 100 points) in 2 weeks.
Side effects:   Began to experience mental fogginess almost immediately on starting the medication. By the 4 th week I had to take time out from work becasue I was unable to maintain clear thinking. I also had sleep changes - early awakening. Probably one of the most disturbing side effects for me was the mood changes I experienced - I was tearful, felt exhausted, and felt nauseous.
Comments:   stopping treatment

Crestor review by 65 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   High Cholesterol
Dosage & duration:   20 milligrams? not sure (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 6 months
Other drugs taken:   Miacalcin

Benefits:   None
Side effects:   Over a period of several months, I got to a point where I ached so much in the morning that I could hardly get out of bed, I could control the pain with OTC painkillers. I had been able to carry a 40 pound bag of dog food easily, I got so that I could barely carry five pounds of groceries. I felt that I had aged about twenty years in a few months!
Comments:   I lucked out finding the answer in an online newsletter that warned Crestor users of this problem which the manufacturer claimed was "very rare". My doctor told me to stop it immediately, gradually I got better. I still cringe when I see Crestor advertised on TV or in a magazine...