Cosopt (Dorzolamide / Timolol Ophthalmic) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Cosopt (Dorzolamide / Timolol Ophthalmic) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 2 ratings/reviews, Cosopt has an overall score of 9. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Cosopt review by 62 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   glaucoma
Dosage & duration:   1 drop each eye (dosage frequency: twice a day) for the period of 2years

Benefits:   The pressure in my eyes decreased with use over a period of four months.
Side effects:   There is a mild burning in my eyes for a couple of minutes after the drops are out in.
Comments:   The drops are administered twice a day approximately 12 hours apart. It is usually necessary to keep eyes closed for a minute or two until the burning subsides.

Cosopt review by 53 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   High interoccular pressure
Dosage & duration:   One drop each in each eye twice daily (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of About 3 years

Benefits:   Cosopt reduced my occular pressure in both eyes by nearly one third which pleased my eye doctor. The treatment benefits are long term. Reducing occular pressure will prolong eyesight by preserving the optical nerves. Sorry not 50 words.
Side effects:   I suspect it caused increased hair loss (thining) which I became aware of after about two - two and a half years of using the medication. I had hair loss before ever starting medications but it seems like this medicine began increasing the problem. Cosopt burned initially on application and turned the eyes red which cleared up fairly quickly. I am not aware of any other side effect. I switched medications and further explanation is below. If I knew these drugs do cause hair loss it might affect its rating,... but then again it does save the eyes.
Comments:   I had elevated occular pressure that needed to be reduced and my doctor put me on xalatan which caused my eyelashes to begin to thicken and become dark in a couple of months so I had him put me on something else so we went to cosopt. After a time I felt like this was causing increased hair loss so I looked up drug side effects and cosopt was listed as causing hair loss so I had him change it again then I started alphagan p and azopt. My eyes after nearly two months time turned red and never cleared up so the doctor dropped the alphagan p and replaced it with timilol 0.25 percent. The redness quickly went away. Now with azopt in each eye once in the morning and once at bedtime and timilol 0.25 in both in the mornings only my occular pressures have been reduced one to two points lower in each eye than what the cosopt did when taken in the morning and at bedtime. These changes have not stopped the hair loss from occuring even though timilol 0.25 percent has half the timilol in it as the cosopt and is used only once a day in each eye vs cosopts twice a day in each eye. Azopt is reported to cause hair loss and is very similar to the second ingredient in cosopt.