Clarinex (Desloratadine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Clarinex (Desloratadine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 5 ratings/reviews, Clarinex has an overall score of 7.80. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 9.20. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Clarinex review by 49 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   allergies
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 1/day for the period of 2 weeks

Benefits:   Did stop the sniffles and clear the nasal passages. Headaches were still a problem. However, coupling this product with aspirin provided a good solution.
Side effects:   Did cause some drowsiness. Alcohol did intensify this experience. No reported upset stomach, as is the case with some of these products.
Comments:   Treatment regimen was 1 5mg pill per day. Did not need to take with food.

Clarinex review by care giver of 6 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   allergy induced asthma
Dosage & duration:   1 tbsp (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 2 years
Other conditions:   chronic allergies
Other drugs taken:   nasonex, pulmicort, albutriol

Benefits:   We tried various allergy medicines including zyrtec, but my son continued to have re-occurring sinuses infections and chronic nasal congestion. Then we tried clarinex. This past winter, we were sinuses infection free. The clarinex also cleared up the chronic nasal congestion. It also helps that he likes the taste of the medicine.
Side effects:   None, or at least he never complained about any.
Comments:   Zachary receives 1 tablespoon of clarinex daily.

Clarinex review by 32 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sinus Allergies/Hives
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   N/A

Benefits:   I sometimes get hives or sinus type allergies. When I take this anti-histamine I notice that it works quickly and is very effective for hours. I never get sleepy like I do with most other over the counter anti-histamines.
Side effects:   I did not notice any side effects.
Comments:   One small pill a day is all it takes to relieve my mild to moderate sinus allergies and occassional hives.

Clarinex review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Allergies
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken 1-2x per week, as needed for the period of about one year

Benefits:   I have chronic allergies because I am allergic to dust rather than a seasonal allergen, like ragweed. I have tried many products, but typically they are so drying that I am forced to discontinue use. This product is effective at reducing the production of mucus and eye irritation from a sever allergy to dust. I haven;t used this
Side effects:   Generally, I find allergy medications, such as Claritin and Zyrtec to be too drying to be useful. I live in a dry city (Los Angeles) and I am prone to nose bleeds, dry eyes and dry skin. There is still some drying associated with this drug if I take it daily. However, if I take it occasionally, it is fine. I also can tolerate prolonged usage of this medication better than I can other allergy medications.
Comments:   The prescription says to take 1 tablet every day as needed for allergies. My allergist suggested I use this daily, as I have chronically dark circles under my eyes and a drippy nose, even though I have a home with zero carpet and have sealed my bed and pillows in allergen barriers. However, I do not take this daily because it is drying and costly to do so. I use this occasionally when I sleep at someone';s house or need to dust or sweep.

Clarinex review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   allergies and asthma
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken 1 x day for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   helped relieve the allegy symptoms for a part of the day
Side effects:   sleepiness
Comments:   while this product worked for a limited time, I have found another product that works 24/7. This is an isotonic product (2 oz drink)that goes directly to the blood stream and among many other benefits dramatically reduces allergy symptoms. http://www.marketamerica.com/topproducts-13009/isotonix-opc3.htm I have no side effects from this treatment