Celexa (Citalopram) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Celexa (Citalopram) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 23 ratings/reviews, Celexa has an overall score of 6.96. The effectiveness score is 8.09 and the side effect score is 6.87. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Celexa review by 27 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic disorder
Dosage & duration:   20 mg/day taken daily for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   birth control

Benefits:   I had debilitating panic attacks and agoraphobia and Celexa completely saved me, allowed me to go live my life again. I even took a low dose and it still worked amazingly well, though it did take nearly a month to "kick in."
Side effects:   In the beginning I had nightmares and some nausea, but that all passed within a few weeks. When I stopped taking the medication, I did suffer some side effects.
Comments:   I took 20/mg a day each day for some number of years.

Celexa review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once per day for the period of 2 periods 6 months each

Benefits:   when the drug actually kicked in, after about 10 days as i recall, it was an amazing experience.I got out of bed and was walking to the bathroom to shower. I was whistling!!!I stopped and thought, hey whats going on here. I realized I felt great, like a heavy weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I felt better than i had felt for a hell of a long time. Never forget it, a fantastic feeling.Truly helped me to cope with the stress of business and relationships.I have recommended it two occasions both had a similar experience to my own.
Side effects:   quite severe night sweats and yawning,dry mouth,ejaculation disorder (not always a bad thing)
Comments:   not sure what you mean by this. Was in relationship counceling and the psycologist suggested I was depressed as well as stressed. she suggested citalopram. saw my gp who prescribed it. never looked back. I did slide back in to depression a couple of years after first taking the drug but recognised the symptoms and got another script from my doctor with the same positive results.

Celexa review by 35 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   vitamins

Benefits:   After the first month it definetely improved my mood and my level of energy. I became more productive at work and my overall mental health improved. It also helps a lot with my pre menstrual syndrome anxiety.
Side effects:   I had very mild nausea about 30 minutes after taking it in the morning that went away after a couple weeks.
Comments:   I took the medicine 20 mg once a day for one year and had no major side effects. Did not feel any sonolence and actually improved my sense of overall well being.

Celexa review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg. per day taken once a day for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   After several days of taking 20 mg. per day my signs of depression were gone. I felt coming out of the dark in the bright sun! It has changed my life.
Side effects:   I did not notice it myself but my husband told me I became rather 'cool', less sensitive.
Comments:   Treated 2 years by a psychologist who prescribed the Citalopram. Three times I tried to stop and live without, but the depression returned. Now my doctor prescribes it each time for 3 months.

Celexa review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression, Irritability
Dosage & duration:   60 mg per day taken daily for the period of 1.5 years (still taking it)
Other conditions:   Moderate hypertension
Other drugs taken:   Verapimil (for Calan SR/Soptin SR)

Benefits:   The benefits of Celexa have been surprising and welcome. Over the passt 15 years I've been given every anti-depressant the doctors could think of. Most had no effect at all, some had such uncomfortable side effects that I couldn't take them long enough to find out if they would help at all. One (I can't remember the name) actually lifted my depression almost immediately and made me feel great, but after about 3 weeks I was suddenly plunged into a depression that was darker and more frightening than any I'd experienced before. I stopped taking it.
Side effects:   The side effects I experienced with Celexa were heart palpitations during the first few weeks of taking it, which later subsided. Yawning was also a side effect, but it went away after a couple of months.
Comments:   I take 1 1/2 40 mg. tablets of Celexa once a day.

Celexa review by 46 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   10, 20, & 30 (dosage was increased) (dosage frequency: once a day) for the period of 7 months
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Omeoprazol

Benefits:   For the depression it didn't make much of a difference; but it worked wonders for my anxiety. The edginess, nervousness, impatience, fear of socializing and going out of the house, completely disappeared after one month of taking it. My close friends even commented that 'I was my old self again'. I was much more relaxed and happy. It made me realize that I was misdiagnosed as depressed, when what I really have is anxiety. After talking to my new psiquiatrist, we came to that conclusion.
Side effects:   COMPLETE loss of libido. That's why I discontinued the treatment.
Comments:   I started with 10mg/day, for one month, when I started to feel less anxious, but not motivated or more energetic, as expected from an anti-depressive medication. Then the dose went up to 20mg/day for another 3- 4 months, when no 'anti-depression' effects were noticed, the dose went up to 30 mg/day, it made no difference either. I have stopped taking it gradually (20mg/day for 1 week, then 10mg/day for 3 weeks) until i stopped completely. Now I'm waiting to see how I feel, to see if I 'll try another medication, since the side effect described above was intolerable to me.

Celexa review by 30 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   I really did not see any benefit in taking the medication. However, this may have been because I was unable to tolerate it for any length of time.
Side effects:   Severe abdominal cramping and diarrhea, dizziness, "spacy" feeling, fainting due to the severe diarrhea.
Comments:   I was placed ont this medication to help with lack of energy, inability to sleep, loss of appetite (depression symptoms). The side effects were so severe that I was only able to take the medicine for a week.

Celexa review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   Hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Levothyroxine

Benefits:   There were no benefits. It did not solve the organic issues and created new problems.
Side effects:   Firstly, this medication made me drowsy, and I often took involuntary naps mid-afternoon. Secondly, I had carbohydrate cravings, and felt hungry all the time. Lastly, after a couple of weeks I became weepy, irrational and anxious. I can't imagine how magnified these symptoms would have been on a higher dose.
Comments:   I began taking Celexa after Lexapro made me sleepy and hungry. The Lexapro did indeed calm my anxieties. It was thought that an isomer of Lexapro might be better tolerated. This was not the case, and now I am off all medications for a short period to re-evaluate my baseline needs.

Celexa review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Stress, feeling overwhelmed
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken once daily for the period of 5 years

Benefits:   Most say it takes 6 weeks for this drug to really be in your system. After taking for 3 days I could feel the effects, I was much calmer and able to handle stressful situations, and back to myself. My problem was that small daily stresses tended to become much larger than they should have. I am now much more able to let small things roll off my back.
Side effects:   I have gained weight. Whether it was due to celexa or turning 40, I am not sure. Irregardless, the benefits have far outweighed the weight gain, if it was due to the Celexa
Comments:   Initially started at 20 mg., worked great. During an exstremely stressful time where increased to 40 mg. I will be reducing down to 20mg very soon.

Celexa review by 40 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   50 mg per day taken once a day for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   It helped greatly with depression but had immediate sexual side effects.
Side effects:   Sexual side effects - loss of desire also increased my restless leg syndrome.
Comments:   I was on the medication for about three months. It helped enormously with the depression - i react well to SSRI's - but as is typical for those meds, the side effects were too much for me and i switched to wellbutrin

Celexa review by 25 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   depression and anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day in the am for the period of 6 months

Benefits:   Worked to well
Side effects:   dry mouth, tired throughout the day, yawning, lack of wanting to go out.
Comments:   I was on 20mg celexa for about 6 months, Ive suffered with depression and anxiety for some time now. I was on wellbutrin for 2 years and loved it, but doesnt help much with anxiety, just more of depression. So i tried celexa and loved it initially, but i guess you can say that i dint like it because it worked too well! I completely changed. I didnt care much about going out or what people and friends thought about me. Im a contractor and started to get a feeling of not wanting to go on lots of bids or work long hours like i use to want to...which caused a big drop in income. Paying bills at the last secound, started smoking again etc. I just had that 'i dont give a shyt about anything' attitude. For me this drug completely changed me for the worst. Back on welbutrin again and feels great!

Celexa review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety/depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of 4 weeks

Benefits:   I felt like I could handle my work and relationship stress better.
Side effects:   I had strange bruises all over my legs and arms. I lost my libido as well as not caring much about anything. I felt like I had no emotion.
Comments:   I flushed them down the toilet after awhile because I wanted to have my personality back.

Celexa review by 34 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety & depression
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken lx/day for the period of 1 year
Other drugs taken:   wellbutrin

Benefits:   helped improve mood, and made me more sociable and able to participate in treatment
Side effects:   anorgasmia, zombie-like effect
Comments:   I took 60mg for severe depression & anxiety. However, after 1 year, I decided to quit taking due to the sexual side effects. So far I just take wellbutrin for depression & am doing well.

Celexa review by 20 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/ Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20 MG taken once daily for the period of 1 week

Benefits:   It made me feel like my old self again, i was able to go to work and actually get things done and the medication took care of the edgy feeling i had and alot of my tendency to fly off the handle. The medicine seemed to work great except for a few side effects.
Side effects:   The side effects made me yawn alot and very sleep, would take a 4 to 5 hour nap daily. My joints in my jaws were very stiff and made it almost painful for me to talk and especially where i yawned alot. I expierenced this side effect one day after taking the medication.
Comments:   take 20 mg daily and therapy.

Celexa review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety and mild depression
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken daily for the period of started one month ago

Benefits:   Citalopram turned me into myself again. I didn't really have depression but suffered from too much worrying and anxiety to carry on healthy relationships and feel in control of my life. I have just begun feeling the full effects of this medication and it is incredible. I wake up early in the morning, rested and ready to go. I feel more motivated, have more energy and feel much more focused. I have also experienced some weight loss while on Citalopram, probably because I feel so motivated and energetic to actually exercise! Additionally I've noticed my worrying, anxiety and emotional eating have decreased significantly.
Side effects:   In the first few weeks I felt a little shaky and experienced dry mouth.
Comments:   This was perscribed by my gynocologist and I plan to take it for the next year, then reasses my need.

Celexa review by 27 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once daily for the period of 7 yrs
Other drugs taken:   birth control

Benefits:   It made me happier. I did not feel down and hopeless while on the drug.
Side effects:   The drug made me drowsy. I would sleep for nine or ten hours at night and still need a nap during the day. It also decreased my motivation to get things done.
Comments:   I was diagnosed as having mild depression when I was 17. I was prescribed a mild dose (10mg) of celexa by my doctor. At the time, (being a teenager) I was frequently tired anyway. I think this is why I did not notice the side effect at first. But years later, I decided to try going off it, and discovered an increase in energy and motivation. After that, I tried a few other drugs like lexipro (which gave me the same side effects), and Wellbutrin (which made me feel manic, highly anxious and stressed). I had tried the Wellbutrin because I was told it would not make me sleepy. Unfortunately, in increased my anxiety to the extreme. Recently, I have gone to a therapist and with some therapy, I am no longer on any drugs. This is what I should have done in the first place.

Celexa review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken one 20 mg tablet a day for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   I had fewer swings in my mood. I felt down less often. My anxiety level was much lower.
Side effects:   I felt sleepy all the time. I was not alert at times, which interfered with my work. When I started to withdraw from the medication based on the discussion with my doctor, I had severe withdrawal symptoms for about a week, including headache, upset stomach, sweating, and lost concentration.
Comments:   I was prescribed this medication by a doctor. While I was taking it, I had counselling sessions for behavioral therapy. This combination of treatments worked well for me, and now I don't have to take the medication and only require counselling sessions occasionally.

Celexa review by 38 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg. daily taken once daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   anxiety

Benefits:   I took Celexa for approximately 6 months and I found it to be totally ineffective. This was not surprising considering I have taken several other psychotropic (SSRI's) drugs, with the same ineffectiveness. I'm finally thinking mabye I don't have a serotonin deficiency, and mabye there are other issues. Going back to dr. to see if there may be another course of action.
Side effects:   sexual side effects, yawning, dry mouth
Comments:   40mg. daily for 6 months.

Celexa review by 47 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   40mg taken daily for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   parasitic illness
Other drugs taken:   vermox

Benefits:   The Vermox killed off the effects of the parasitic illness which included extreme fatigue, chronic diarrhea, dehydration, and weight loss. The Celexa was effective in elevating my mood which had been diagnosed as depression. It was the doctor’s belief that the long term effects of the parasite presence in my body led to my decline in physical and mental health. I continued on the generic form of Celexa, Citalopram for a total of three years. I no longer take medication for depression and my health is quite good.
Side effects:   The side effect of the Vermox was primarily a metallic taste in my mouth which lasted throughout the treatment of twenty one days. The Celexa gave me a symptoms of dry mouth as well as some decrease in sexual desire.
Comments:   I took a Vermox tablet orally for three weeks and another dose for three days a month later. I began taking a dosage of Celexa of 40mg which was eventually reduced to 20mg per day after about 1 ˝ years. I continued a dosage of 20mg for another 1 ˝ years, but switched to the generic form, Citalopram.

Celexa review by 56 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety attacks when driving
Dosage & duration:   40mg taken once daily for the period of over ayear

Benefits:   i had become unable to drive any further than 1/2 mile to my job and no further without suffering serious anxiety attacks. after a little over a week on the medication, i was able to drive in heavy traffic, and basically anywhere i needed to go. my life has become my own again
Side effects:   none
Comments:   i only had to start taking 1 tablet a day, and after a little over a week, i could definitely tell a difference.

Celexa review by 24 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/Panic Disorder
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 4 days
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   I'm only four days in, but I already feel more like myself than I have in a year and a half. The effects were almost immediate. I've taken more responsibility, had more energy, and been more outgoing already.
Side effects:   Nausea, Restless Leg Syndrome, dry mouth, teeth clenching, bouts of fatigue, mania (temporary...first night only), insomnia, acne, inability to edit myself in some social situations
Comments:   With continue chemical therapy using Celexa, I look forward to massive improvement in my overall mood and personality.

Celexa review by care giver of 89 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken daily for the period of 10 months
Other conditions:   recent stroke
Other drugs taken:   lipitor, coumadin

Benefits:   My father became extremely depressed following his mild stroke. About 2 weeks after we increased the dose from 10-20mg, there was a significant change in his attitude and he embraced life again.
Side effects:   Occasional light-headedness.
Comments:   After his mild stroke, my Dad could not continue his previously active routine. He hated not being able to drive his new car to meet his friends for their daily breakfast. He was always on the go, even at home he was constantly puttering with gadgets & watching stocks on the computer. All of this had suddenly been taken from him and he was angry & frustrated that he was unable to do these previously simple tasks. Depression set in and he just gave up on life. He would even dream that he was dead. He cried & moaned a lot (my Dad never cried before). I was pleased with the results from this medication.

Celexa review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Depression and Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken every day for the period of 9 days
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   Nortrel (Birth control)

Benefits:   After a week of taking 20 mg a day, I went from suicidal to genuine happiness. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and my symptoms have already gotten 90% better. My level of stress is very, very low and my depression is pretty much gone. I can go back to doing things I love and I have more energy to go about my day. Only thing is that I also have insomnia and although it has calmed my nightly discomfort, it has not helped me sleep. But I'm waiting for it to help since my doctor said it would take time. I would recommend this drug to anyone!
Side effects:   I started taking it in the morning, but it made me a little drowsy, so I began taking it at night. Makes me more tired, but hasn't helped me overcome my insomnia just yet.
Comments:   I first began seeing a psychologist who rushed my psychiatric visit. I was originally put on Prozac prescribed from an emergency room to hold me over until I saw my psychiatrist, but it threw my body out of whack and I was having very bothersome side effects. My doctor switched me to Citalopram, the generic for Celexa, and so far it has done wonders for me. I am only taking 20 mg a day and already I feel wonderful, and only after 9 doses. I may not even need to be put on a higher dosage, I feel so great.