Buspar (Buspirone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Buspar (Buspirone) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Buspar has an overall score of 8.75. The effectiveness score is 8.50 and the side effect score is 9. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Buspar review by 28 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   GAD - Generalised anxiety disorder.
Dosage & duration:   5mg. Upto three times daily as required. taken 7-10 times per week, on average. for the period of 3 months.

Benefits:   As a former drug addict, I flat refused anything that would be addictive. ie diazepam, tamazepam, etc. My doctor suggested buspar as it was not addictive, and yet had similar effects to diazepam. He prescribed it on a prn basis, and i was sceptical. However, within 20 minutes of taking it, the effects were astounding. Anxiety subsided, and a feeling of warmness enveloped me. One dose lasted about 5 hours, and did not inhibit any other aspect of my day to day activites. It also helped with my disrupted sleep patterns.
Side effects:   Dry mouth after taking, and slight feelings of lethargy, but hardly noticeable.
Comments:   Its meant to be used as a short term treatment for anxiety, no more than 3 months. But my gp said i can take it using a three month on, three month off rotation. Works for me.

Buspar review by 73 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   1/2 of 15 mg tablet taken ocassionaly for the period of Several years

Benefits:   It did help to relieve my anxiety, but sometimes I had to take a full tablet rather than 1/2. It did enable me to ably cope with occasions where I otherwise would have been nervous wreck. I can honestly say that it helped me.
Side effects:   I didn't have any.
Comments:   I only took it sporadically whenever needed. I only used it when I needed calming down when I was in a situation that I wouldn't have have been able to cope with.

Buspar review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken once daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   Effexor

Benefits:   symptoms of shortness of breath were reduced within weeks of starting this medication. Felt more energy during the day.
Side effects:   Unable to take late afternoon into evening. Caused difficulty sleeping.
Comments:   Overall, treatment has been effective. Only able to take am dosing due to increase in energy. Had difficulty sleeping with afternoon into evening doses. Significant improvement in symptoms after first few weeks of treatment. Will continue to take as long as dosing is effective.

Buspar review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 1/2 tablet twice a day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   n/a
Other drugs taken:   Inderal

Benefits:   I lived in a constant state of panic (shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, flushed feeling), and this medication completely erased all these symptoms. I can now think clearly and make rational decisions. I chose to stay on this very low dose and take an Ativan on the rare occasion a panic attack breaks through.
Side effects:   I feel a little drowsy and slightly lightheaded for about 30 minutes after taking medicine, but it is not severe enough to interfere with my work or life.
Comments:   I take half a 10 mg tablet in the morning and the other half in the late afternoon.