Augmentin (Amoxicillin / Clavulanate) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Augmentin (Amoxicillin / Clavulanate) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 24 ratings/reviews, Augmentin has an overall score of 6.04. The effectiveness score is 7.75 and the side effect score is 6.92. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Augmentin review by care giver of 13 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   tonsilitis, possible strep, and ear infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken twice a day for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   possible strep throat, and ear infection

Benefits:   Cleared up infection
Side effects:   diarrhea for weeks later
Comments:   Pills my son had to swallow were horse pills. Too big for a kid, even an adult would have trouble taking them.

Augmentin review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   severe abcessed tooth
Dosage & duration:   1000mg taken 2x daily for the period of 14 days

Benefits:   infection, swelling and pain reduction with in 3 days
Side effects:   abdominal cramps
Comments:   pills 2 xs daily with food and plenty of water

Augmentin review by care giver of 3 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ear infection
Dosage & duration:   3/4t (dosage frequency: twice daily) for the period of 10 days
Other conditions:   pneumonia

Benefits:   Ear infection is gone.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Take the medicine.

Augmentin review by 23 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   sinusitis
Dosage & duration:   500 mg taken twice daily for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   ear infection
Other drugs taken:   orthocept

Benefits:   Treatment quickly eliminated discomfort associated with the sinus infection. These included ear ache, sore throat, and fever. These symptoms were partially alleviated within 24 hours of the first dose. Within 48 hours, all symptoms were no longer present. However, the eliminated symptoms associated with the sinus infection were almost immediately replaced by negative side effects.
Side effects:   The treatment caused numerous side effects. These included severe stomach cramping and nausea, a severe yeast infection, vomiting, diarrhea and chills. These side effects began within approximately twelve to twenty four hours after first dose of augmentin was administered. These side effects were intolerable and somewhat worse than the symptoms from the initial infection.
Comments:   Augmentin was administered at a dosage of 500 mg to be taken two times a day. Total treatment time was to be 10 days, but within 24 hours, the side effects of the antibiotic were so intolerable that, after 3 days, the drug was terminated and a different antibiotic was administered.

Augmentin review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Cat Bite Infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken 3x daily for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   The infection cleared
Side effects:   Loss of appetite, heartburn, nausea,light headed feeling, gas, bloating,did not sleep well, 2 episodes of extreme dizziness (side-effects were most extreme at mid-point - 5 days. About 7-10 after completion I developed a vaginal yeast infection, which was cleared with over the counter medication.
Comments:   The cat bite on my foot was very swollen and painful. I was hospitalized for 4 days, during which time antibiotics were administered intravenously every 6 hours. When I was discharged from the hospital I felt fine, without any of the symptoms described above. When I started taking the Augmentin there were very few side-effects - they became very noticeable after the 5th or 6th day. By the end of the treatment, the dizziness had subsided as did the light headed feeling, but the intestinal discomfort remained until 3 or 4 days after.

Augmentin review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   bronchial infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken 2 a day for the period of month
Other conditions:   allergic asthma
Other drugs taken:   prednisone

Benefits:   cleared the condition completely. Augmentin worked after other antibiotics did not. The infection was resistant to other antibiotics.
Side effects:   stomach upset at times from Augmentin. Otherwise not really any reaction.
Comments:   Two pills at 875 MG a day. This lasted for a month. Again my bronchial infection was resistant, or the doctor said I'd come down with the infection again [this happened in the spring two years ago, when there was a very resistant virus or infection going around and people were coming down with an infection again]. After two weeks of a regular antibiotic [azithroymicin] I was not getting better so the doctor put me on Augmentin. It completely zapped what I had and I got over it.

Augmentin review by 31 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Klebsiella pneumonia infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken 3x daily for the period of 2 weeks
Other conditions:   candidiasis

Benefits:   Cleared up pneumonia infection.
Side effects:   For me, mild diahrrea. For my partner, extreme stomach pain after taking the medication with insufficient food and water. The pain lasted about 6 hours. He wasn't irreparably doubled over in pain, but he was incapacitated. He was able to take his next and subsequent pills without problem.
Comments:   On medication for 2 weeks, 3X a day. Infection cleared up about 2 days after I finished.

Augmentin review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Sinusitis,quinsy
Dosage & duration:   1000 mg every 12 hours taken 2 times aday for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   Talking was very hard because of the throat pain
Other drugs taken:   Clarinase

Benefits:   my throat was better. My headache started to pass away quite fast. At the end of the third day, with the help of the other medication I took during the treatment, I was healthy and could go to work.
Side effects:   It was really hard for me to fall asleep during the treatment. And I felt dizzy. My sister had also taken Augmentin (22 years old), but she had to stop using it after the first tablet because her skin was red and puffy all over. It lasted for 4 days.
Comments:   I was taking 2 1000 mg tablets a tablets a day . I was also taking Clarinase to releave congestion . The insomnia like side effects I encountered may be because of clarinase.

Augmentin review by 19 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   tonsilitis
Dosage & duration:   875g? (dosage frequency: 2 times a day) for the period of 10 days
Other drugs taken:   nasal steroid of some sort

Benefits:   Cleared up most of the symptoms for the 10 day period for both periods on it. Both terms that i took the drug, the symptoms returned 2 days later with very intense pain then weakened over the next week... still sick now for the 7th straight
Side effects:   None. Actually felt pretty good compared to off the drug
Comments:   Normal 10 day 2 times a day dosage

Augmentin review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   suspected upper respiratory infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken 2x/day for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   knee injury, no meds for it

Benefits:   The medication worked great and cleared up symptoms immediately (sore throat, coughing, et cetera).
Side effects:   Horrible, wretched diarrhea. I lost six pounds in five days. I could barely eat because I couldn't keep anything down. I had to survive on white bread slices, crackers and water. Anything else caused diarrhea. It was so bad that I called my doctor and asked her to prescribe me something else. She told me that the two days remaining on my perscription were just extra insurance to make sure my infection was gone before surgery. She basically said she would normally only prescribe five days so with that I discontinued use. Feel better now but still have diarrhea. Been off for 1 day.
Comments:   Prescribed 875mg 2x/day for seven days but because of the horrific diarrhea, stopped at five days with doctors consent. Never again will I take Augmentin -- never.

Augmentin review by 29 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   phneumonia
Dosage & duration:   1 tab taken twice daily for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   no

Benefits:   When I started taking the Augmentin I was ill about 3 weeks. After the treatment infection is gone. Augmentin worked after other antibiotics did not.
Side effects:   No side effects.
Comments:   Infection cleared up about 3-4 days after I finished. My 55-years-old father successfully recover from phneumonia by means of Augmentin too. He has no side effects too.

Augmentin review by 31 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   500mg taken twice daily for the period of 3 days
Other conditions:   headache
Other drugs taken:   clariton

Benefits:   No benefits, did not help the initial problem of the sinus infection
Side effects:   severe diarrhea with blood/mucus caused by c difficile infection that led to colitis. Seven months later I have IBS now and still suffer from problems caused by the medication.
Comments:   stopped taking after 3 days because of the side effect

Augmentin review by 34 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Bacterial infection
Dosage & duration:   1 tablet per day taken once per day for the period of 14 days approx

Benefits:   Mild improvement of symptoms, however the symtoms were not eliminated. This required a second treatment of the antibiotic a month later. Again the symtoms persisted. A third tretament was taken 6 months later again. This appeared to have eliminated any chronic symptoms.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Take one tablet daily until the pack was complete.

Augmentin review by 45 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken twice a day for the period of 14
Other conditions:   diabetes, hypothyroidism
Other drugs taken:   Flonase, claritin

Benefits:   Seem to have a bad sinus / nasal infection, now up into ethmoids. Seemed to start with attempt to drain tear duct, but blocked. Helping but not kicking it. They've now changed me to my choice of Omnicef or Levaquin, I chose the Omnicef. We'll see if it does the trick.
Side effects:   None. I do pretty well on penicillin type drugs.
Comments:   Given to me by my PCP for sinus infection.

Augmentin review by 37 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Earache/sinusitis
Dosage & duration:   875mg taken 2x' daily for the period of 10 days

Benefits:   After the first day on this drug, my ear pain was gone. Sinuses cleared soon thereafter.
Side effects:   While taking augmentin, I had trouble sleeping. When I did finally fall asleep, I had very vivid, strange dreams. Also noticed mild vaginal discharge. Some dizziness, but nothing major.
Comments:   I feel that this med did the job of clearing my sinus infection and ear pain. Side effects were bearable. I would take it again.

Augmentin review by care giver of 1 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   cough
Dosage & duration:   4ml, 3x a day (dosage frequency: 1) for the period of once
Other conditions:   dehydration
Other drugs taken:   n/a

Benefits:   I haven't noticed any benefits
Side effects:   My son developed an allergic reaction to the drug - a red rash that spread very quickly and within 2 hours it covered his whole body
Comments:   I took him back to the doctor and this time my son was diagnosed with pneumonia and dehydration. He was admitted to hospital immediately.

Augmentin review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Subungal Hematoma
Dosage & duration:   875mg taken 2/day for the period of 10 days
Other conditions:   Contusion

Benefits:   The medicine was taken to prevent infection since a hole was drilled to drain the gathered blood and release pressure on my nail bed. As a result, I am in the process of regrowing a healthy nail.
Side effects:   There were no adverse side effects. By taking the medication and ensuring that the wound was kept clean, infection was kept at bay.
Comments:   I was prescribed Augmentin at 875mg to be taken twice a day for 10 days in order to fend off infection in my nail bed. Meanwhile,I used topical iodine and hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound several times a day and applied new bandages at each cleaning. Once the swelling and pain subsided and growth of a new nail was evident, I trimmed away what I could of the damaged nail to allow the new one space to grow and to aid in keeping the wound clean.

Augmentin review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Subungal Hematoma
Dosage & duration:   875mg taken 2/day for the period of 10 days
Other conditions:   Contusion

Augmentin review by 54 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   diverticulitis
Dosage & duration:   875 (dosage frequency: 2) for the period of 25 days

Benefits:   Reduction of infection of acute uncomplicated diverticulitis
Side effects:   Disturbing and painful balanitis after 4 days, lasted 2 weeks. Stomatitis to the point were eating and drinking became painful, used chloorhexidine mouthwash 1 minute 3 times daily, next to brushing (extremely painful mucosae and tongue). Lasted 10 days. Now disturbing and ugly proximal onychomyosis coming from a lateral onychomycosis on 20 % surface large toenail. My whole toenailplate is destroyed. I may need to take itraconazole or terbinafine for 9 months at least, if I want to cure this :(
Comments:   Augmentin 875 mg twice a day for three weeks.

Augmentin review by 34 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   625 mg taken twice a day for the period of 5 days
Other conditions:   N/A
Other drugs taken:   citalopram

Benefits:   All symptoms of sinus infection gone by third day.
Side effects:   From taking Augmentin before in the past, I knew that the way to avoid the nausea was to take it with food PLUS a large glass of orange juice. I forgot the first time, and was nauseous. Once I started taking the pill with orange juice, I was no longer nauseous. But I had diarrhea from the second day onwards, plus a yeast infections that I treated with myconazole and probiotics.
Comments:   Twice a day for 5 days with large glasses of orange juice, which cuts the nausea.

Augmentin review by care giver of 2 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   excessive coughing, later diagnosed as pneumonia
Dosage & duration:   3ml (dosage frequency: 3x per day) for the period of 1 day
Other conditions:   dehydration

Benefits:   we had to go back to the doctor and my son finally got diagnosed with pneumonia and was hospitalized immediately
Side effects:   He got a rash all over the body within 1 hour of administering the drug, which is why we went back to the doctor.
Comments:   there wasn't much of a treatment, because of the immediate allergic reaction

Augmentin review by care giver of 1 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ear infection
Dosage & duration:   600 mg - 2 ml twice a day taken twice a day for the period of 2 days
Other conditions:   diarrhea, rash/ reaction, no sleep, horrible diaper rash
Other drugs taken:   benadryl due rash from the medication

Benefits:   None/ had to many painful side effects.
Side effects:   Cranky, horrible diaper rash immediately following 2nd day of medicine, she couldn't sleep, they diaper rash and diarrhea came on very quickly and the diaper rash hurt her so bad it made her catch her breath if she moved a certain way. I have never seen such a bad diaper rash on either of my babies. I took her in on the 3rd day of treatment and had the medication changed and both of her rashes went away in two days. The rash on her body looked like round welts and they were very itchy. They spread very fast starting as a ring around her whole waist, around her chest and behind her ears. It was blistered. It also looked like round mosquito bites the size of a dime on her arms and legs. They also lost their appetite.
Comments:   This was to treat an ear infection in both ears. The side effects from this medication were way worse than the ear infestion itself. It was extrememly scary to see how this medicine took hold of my 1 year old daughter's body. My son who is 2 was perscribed this medication on Friday due to a bronchial virus, he was also given a shot of antibiotics and given a cough suppressent. The augmenton did not give him the skin rash but he has a horrible diaper rash and it is extremely painful. He is not sleeping very well either and also has diarrhea. He was percribed the medicine on Friday and I didn't realize it was the same medication my daughter had two weeks ago. I will be calling my doctor this morning to explore other options of medication to get him better. This augmenton is bad for my babies. I hope it helps other people. The side effects have definately out weighed the benefits of helping my children heal. I am dissapointed. It is tough thinking you are giving your kids something that will help them and then they are in more pain than before you sought medical care.

Augmentin review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Migraine in assoc /w upper resp infection
Dosage & duration:   875 mg taken twice a day for the period of 3 days instead of 10 days

Benefits:   It truly cleared my headache in three days. I felt no reason to finish the meds unless it was necessary. That pretty much sums it up as to say I would recommend it to others in need. I thank the drug and pharmecutical industry much indeed. Again, Thank you.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   The treatment took away the migraine headaches. It opened up my head and cleared the mucus that clogged me with sinusitis. I was then able to breathe much better.