Atenolol (Atenolol) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Atenolol reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 12 ratings/reviews, Atenolol has an overall score of 8. The effectiveness score is 8 and the side effect score is 7.83. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Atenolol review by medical professional caring for 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety induced palpitations
Dosage & duration:   25mg daily taken daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   I was good that I only had to take this once per day.  More often and I probably would have forgotten or become obsessed with remembering.
Side effects:   I read the pamphlet and there are a few side effects such as dizziness but I didn't suffer any.
Comments:   1/2 tablet taken each morning.  Behavioural training.  Cease medication

Atenolol review by 60 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Extra Heartbeat
Dosage & duration:   25 mg/day taken 1 /day for the period of 13+ years

Benefits:   The benefits are amazing. I felt dizzy and like I was going to faint before I took the drug. These symptoms went away and have stayed away for going on 20 years. I also have seen that it helps with blood pressure and pulse rate.
Side effects:   I have never experienced any adverse side affects.
Comments:   I simply take one tiny tablet each morning.

Atenolol review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Mitral Valve Prolapse
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken once a day for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   mild hypertension, allergies, high cholesterol, hyperthyroid
Other drugs taken:   Parvachol, Allegra, Lyvoxel

Benefits:   My heart rate was rapid (usually 110-130 bpm) and I frequently had feelings in my heart that left my short of breath for a few minutes. My heart rate slowed down to normal (usually 70-85 bpm) and I very seldom have these episodes anymore. I feel much better overall and I do not have that feeling of "impending doom". Also my blood pressure is good and I do not have to take an extra medication for this problem.
Side effects:   The only noticeable side effect for me is the drop in blood pressure, which for me has been beneficial. I have been told this medication can make you somewhat sleepy or lethargic, but I have not experienced this.
Comments:   I take Atenolol once a day in the morning and that's all the treatment that I need to keep the mitral valve in my heart function correctly.

Atenolol review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   100mg taken once a day for the period of 1 yr.
Other conditions:   o
Other drugs taken:   o

Benefits:   it did keep my blood pressure lower , and i did feel better.and i felt more at ease driving
Side effects:   I felt a little tired at times,and some dizziness i ended up taking it at night and that seem to help.
Comments:   if i took it in the mornings with a meal. sometimes ,not all time my blood pressure did not lower like it should,so i took it at night, with a bigger meal.that seem to help, because during the day i seem to have a problem but not as often.

Atenolol review by 62 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Atrial Fibrillation
Dosage & duration:   25 mg taken daily for the period of 3 months
Other conditions:   mild hypertension
Other drugs taken:   warafin, lisinopril

Benefits:   none except....slowed heart rate. My afib was NOT diminished, but I assume the drug was helping keep my heart rate when in Afib down somewhat
Side effects:   The 3 months i was on atenolol (25mg) I had vertigo, short term memory loss, anxiety, and hearing issue. All except hearing went away when I switched to a different beta blocker. Joe Hare
Comments:   once a day 25 mg

Atenolol review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypertension
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken daily for the period of still do
Other conditions:   cramps
Other drugs taken:   naproxen

Benefits:   the overall experience was positive, with little to no side effects, blood pressure medicine dropping blood pressure from 180/100 to 117/70 in 3 months. lower blood pressure prevents heart disease and risk of stroke or other ailments associated with hypertension.
Side effects:   for a few months the rapid drop in blood pressure resulted in slight dizziness and mild discomfort for about two to three weeks. Once my bloodpressure reached its lowest point I no longer had headaches, nose bleeds, or swollen hands and feet.
Comments:   taken in combinatino with a 4 mg water pill every morning, once a day at same time every day.

Atenolol review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken once a day for the period of more than 7 years
Other conditions:   high cholesterol
Other drugs taken:   hydrochlorthyzide, synthroid, crestor

Benefits:   This medication, in combination with a diuretic, worked to lower my high blood pressure.
Side effects:   I had no side effects. I especially liked this drug, because previously, I had been taking a beta-blocker, which lowered my heart rate and made cardiovascular exercise using heart rate training impossible.
Comments:   Took in combination with diuretic, hydrochlorothyzide

Atenolol review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   heart racing and fluttering
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 1/2 tablet every day for the period of 6yrs

Benefits:   this drug works very well to control my heart from racing and fluttering. i have had a echo cardiogram and they say it is nothing serious but it really bothers me and makes me shaky and queasy. it was nice to get relief from this drug.
Side effects:   when i first took it it seemed to make me depressed but after a while that seemed to go away. other than that i have had no side effects.
Comments:   the doctor prescribed the drug and i take 1/2 tablet a day which would be 25 mg.

Atenolol review by 45 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Tachycardia
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken as necessary occasionally for the period of 20 years
Other conditions:   general inflammatory disorder, occasional arrhythmia

Benefits:   Bringing heart rate down from dangerous and very painful levels to comfortable levels. This was generally achieved within half an hour and lasted for many hours (i.e. until the spisode had passed - so no repeat dose usually required).
Side effects:   Some dizziness and spaced out feelings.
Comments:   One tablet every few weeks (on average), when necessary for tachycardia caused by exercise, hot weather, coffee, allergic reactions, sitting for long periods in one posture - particularly on a long place flight; etc.

Atenolol review by 19 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Supra Ventricular Tachycardia
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken once daily for the period of 2 years and counting

Benefits:   I frequently experience heart palpitations at random times for random durations of time. Atenolol has help to suppress these palpitations, so I don't experience them as often. It has drastically reduced the number of episodes I have and also lessens the pounding feeling when the episodes do occur.
Side effects:   I have experienced a few side effects, such as lowered blood pressure. This lead to frequently feeling tired and lethargic. I also get very cold very easily due to low blood pressure. I am also beginning to think that it is effecting my short term memory, but I'm not sure if that's just me. I'm also not anxious anymore. I never suffered from anxiety problems, but I have noticed that I really don't get nervous over anything really!
Comments:   Overall, Atenolol works to lower my blood pressure, which in turn helps limit my number heart palpitation episodes.

Atenolol review by 26 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   supraventricular tachycardia
Dosage & duration:   25mg per day taken 12.5mg twice a day for the period of 6 months+
Other conditions:   high heart rate, PVCs, palpitations, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Sertraline

Benefits:   Lowered heart rate from 100bpm+ to 65-75bpm and held blood pressure at a near-perfect level. Episodes of extremely high heart rate (200bpm+) suddenly initiating and sustaining for several hours diminished in frequency from at least once every 1-2 weeks to three times over one year.
Side effects:   Previously on Metoprolol tartrate and later Metoprolol succinate (both varying doses) and experienced severe dizziness/light-headedness, heavy-chested, and shortness of breath. Also experienced severe exercise intolerance. These symptoms remain when switched to Atenolol, but at much less severe levels. On Atenolol, also experience short-term memory loss, vertigo, constipation, indigestion.
Comments:   After diagnosed with tachycardia, prescribed metoprolol tartrate at varying doses over course of a few months (lowest dose possible was not high enough to keep heart rate low and next highest dose possible was too high, i.e, produced extreme shortness of breath/tight and heavy chest/dizziness. On the positive side, the medicine did slow heart rate and reduced episodes of extremely high heart rate. Next, prescribed metoprolol succinate with similar benefits and side effects. On both meds, side effects were too severe to function day to day. So I was put on Atenolol, and it has worked for me much better. Heart rate is held at a safe rate, and is more consistent than when on the metoprolol. Symptoms of dizziness, heavy chestedness, etc. are still present but highly diminished (I can at least perform normal daily functions now). Now I have additional symptoms of vertigo after elevator rides, indigestion, constipation, and short term memory loss (but nothing that I can't function with). Recently, doctors suggested a catheter ablation, as they discovered a source of my problems to be the presence of extra electrical pathways in my heart.

Atenolol review by 67 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypertension
Dosage & duration:   25 mg taken 1 po qd for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   Effective in reducing hypertension from previous approximately 170/85 to less than 150/65 and now even less at approximately 130/65
Side effects:   Side effected included sleepiness, and unaccountably nausea while sailing. Prior to taking this drug I had never had problems with "seasickness" while sailing. I found I had to stay topside during sailing times. Other than that, the tiredness was a factor which became less noticeable with time. The seasickness would not be a problem for the majority of people, I am sure
Comments:   Treatment was 1 pill per day for approximately 3 years (25 mg) which I am told is a quite low dose for this medication. However my weight is 100 lbs on average and small build so for me it was more than enough. It helped my hypertension come back to within normal range which I was pleased with. If I needed to go back on an antihypertensive, I would try it again