Atacand (Candesartan Cilexetil) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Atacand (Candesartan Cilexetil) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 4 ratings/reviews, Atacand has an overall score of 9. The effectiveness score is 8.50 and the side effect score is 8.50. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Atacand review by 50 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   16mg taken once a day for the period of 2 years
Other drugs taken:   no other drugs but on HRT

Benefits:   lowered blood pressure
Side effects:   I did experience some bowel changes although the doctor did not seem to think that this would be the result of the drug. I do, however. I experienced constipation.
Comments:   One 16 mg tablet to be taken daily. I had been given other blood pressure medication previously which I did not respond as well to so It took a few tries to get it right. I would like to be able to stop taking the medication and am trying to lose weight and lead a healthier lifestyle but all the literature seems to suggest that I may always need to take the medication.

Atacand review by 49 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
Dosage & duration:   8mg taken one every morning for the period of One month

Benefits:   Effectively lowers blood pressure with very few side effects and NO cough, No drowsiness and no sexual problems of any kind!!!
Side effects:   I have had some very mild side effects. Slight nasal congestion (now gone) and an occasional sort of gravelly coarseness to my voice. If they are the only side effects then I am happy to live with that.
Comments:   I had been searching for a drug for hypertension that had the fewest side effects. Every time I saw my doctor it was like I was being a guinea pig for the next lot of side effects and it was really getting me down. So after a little research on the net, I came across this drug and reviews from people who have taken it. I told and showed my doctor the results and he was happy for me to try this drug and I am glad that I did. Previous drugs gave me an instant irritating cough and also made my feet swell up. This drug is by far the best I have tried so far and just one 8mg tablet a day does the trick for me!

Atacand review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   high blood pressure
Dosage & duration:   16 mg taken once a day for the period of still on it, but only 8 mg/day
Other conditions:   atrial septal defect
Other drugs taken:   premarin

Benefits:   The dizziness subsided, the auras appeared a lot more infrequently
Side effects:   tiredness
Comments:   After my cardiac procedure, I ended up with high blood pressure because my body was not sure how to deal with the change in my system. Where the blood was flowing from one atrium to the other was now closed and I was feeling so dizzy I had to look down at the ground to walk. I couldn't drive. I went to my doctor several times to try and find out what the trouble was. I monitered my blood pressure several times a day and was put on Atacand which seemed to work well. However, I found it made me so tired, that I took half a pill in the morning and half at night. Now my body has adjusted a lot, I am only on half the dose I started with. I also take a baby aspirin daily. I rely on Atacand to keep my blood pressure stable. Once in a while, if I start to feel dizzy or get an aura I take 1/2 a pill of Atacand and sit down for a bit and my symptons soon go away.

Atacand review by 73 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   8 mg taken once per day for the period of several years
Other drugs taken:   vitamins, folic acid, vit-D3

Benefits:   The Atacand worked well for me IF taken consistently without skipping days. I was able to bring my blood pressure to at least 120/80 and at times a bit lower. Note that consistency of medication is a key. Should the 8mg tablet taken once per day not prove as effective as desired, my physician advised that I could take an additional tablet or two per day without problem.
Side effects:   Did not notice any undesirable side effects. The only thing that could be mentioned is that if one embarks on a significant exercise routine such as elleptical stairstep machine for 30+ minutes/day and keeps up the exercise for weeks on end while at the same time taking the Atacand, one may end up with a [not undesirable] blood pressure in the 112/65 range.
Comments:   The Atacand worked well IF taken routinely without skipping days. It takes a while for the regulation to start, ie, you can't begin from scratch taking the Atacand the first morning and expect proper blood pressure regulation that afternoon. Doesn't work that quickly. There is a tendency, after taking the medication consistently and seeing your pressure get well under control, to think that maybe you can stop or at least taper off of the Atacand. One may try this but will find that the best regimen is consistency. It did work well for me and keeps me under 120/80.