Aromasin (Exemestane) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Aromasin (Exemestane) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 2 ratings/reviews, Aromasin has an overall score of 8.50. The effectiveness score is 9 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Aromasin review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Breast Cancer
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   under-active thyroid
Other drugs taken:   Synthroid

Benefits:   Aromasin's treatment benefits are unknown. I have not had a reoccurance of breast cancer while on the drug, though unsure we can attribute that with the drug treatment itself. Perhaps there are other positive health-related items coming into play, such as exerciase and eating habits. Not aware of any side effects or adverse reactions. Drug is very expensive, however.
Side effects:   As mentioned above, I have not had any side effects from Aromasin other than hot flashes and night sweats. These may be due to menopause rather than the treatment itself. The hot flashes have been relatively mild and can be controlled, for the most part, by limiting or removing all alcoholic beverages.
Comments:   After breast cancer treatment of chemo. and radiation I was put on Tamoxifen for several years, about 5 years. After Tamoxifen, it was recommended that I start taking Aromasin, which I have done for about 3 years. My doctor said it is not known how long women should be on Aromasin and still receeve a benefit from taking the drug.

Aromasin review by 58 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   eostrogen-positive breast cancer
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken daily for the period of 4 years
Other conditions:   high blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   various blood pressure medications

Benefits:   During the 4 years so far [out of 5], I have had no recurrance of the tumour and no additional tumours have been detected by ultra-sound, mammogram, and twice-yearly check-ups. Perhaps the greatest benefit is the gradual reduction in stress experienced as a result of my on-going stabilised condition after a lumpectomy.
Side effects:   I had some initial swelling of my hip, knee and ankle joints in the morning which slowly subsided during the day. The medication also aggravated the hot-flushes of the menopause, making them initially frequent and copious, and on-going for the treatment duration so far - tho with reduced frequency now in Year 4. I also experience considerable thirst.
Comments:   I was put on Aromasin after 6 months on Tamoxifen because I suffered debilitating muscle cramps on Tamoxifen as well as joint problems and extreme hot flushes. Aromasin has been kinder, and so far I have taken it daily for 4 years out of an initial 5. It may be prescribed beyond 5 years, I'm not sure. It has relatively slight side effects now but in the first 6 months I was conscious of its effects on my body - not intolerable by any means, just noticable.