Armour Thyroid (Thyroid) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Armour Thyroid (Thyroid) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Armour Thyroid review by 38 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   180 mg taken 90mg 2x a day for the period of 4 years and counting
Other conditions:   add
Other drugs taken:   adderall, levoyxl

Benefits:   improved all my hypo symptoms once optimum dosage was reached. contains all the thyroid hormones not just t4 so that everything is balanced. I also take 25mg of levoxyl daily. Orginally I was taking 120 mg of levoxyl with 10mg of Cytomel the synthetic T3 but my endo switched me when cytomel was unavailable one month and I love it.
Side effects:   N/A
Comments:   90 mg in the morning upon waking, 90 mg at bedtime.

Armour Thyroid review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroid
Dosage & duration:   45 mg/day taken 1 dose per day for the period of 4 years - still taking
Other conditions:   lethargic, weight gain

Benefits:   increased energy (moderate), weight stabilized
Side effects:   none noted
Comments:   perimenopausal symptoms initiated this presecription. Medication benefit seemed small, but just enought to balance me out. I haven't needed to increase since I started. Thyroid tests always show me with a "perfect" level since I've been taking it. I'm very drug sensitive and have noticed no side effects. The only drawback is having to wait 1/2 hour after taking before I can eat each day. Other than that, it's great - it's even inexpensive to buy!

Armour Thyroid review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   2 gr (dosage frequency: 1x a day) for the period of 3 years

Benefits:   Lessening of most hypothyroid symptoms started within 2 weeks of taking the drug. Weight gain stopped despite positive dietary modifications and weight stability occurred, there were less incidences of dry skin, and menstrual irregularities went away.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   Armour Thyroid by mouth 2 gr. 1 x a day.

Armour Thyroid review by 50 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   1 grain per day (dosage frequency: every day) for the period of off and on
Other conditions:   allergies

Benefits:   Within about 2 days I noticed I had more energy. I wasn't waking up tired, I wasn't craving sugar and coffee and my mood improved dramatically. I stayed on the medication for about 2 years. Gradually I noticed that I didn't need as much so I cut back on my dose. Eventually I went off for a year or two. Then when I noticed the old symptoms of mild depression, tiredness, sugar cravings etc., I went back on. I found that the natural form of Armour allowed my thyroid to kickstart. After talking to many people who have used the synthetic form, they didn't experience this. Their thyroid seemed to shut down and they had to always take the drug.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   I started out at 1/4 grain every other day. Gradually I increased that to every day. Then I would take 1/2 grain every other day. Eventually I found I took about 2 grains per day for a couple of months. I felt great and as I noticed I didn't need as much I reduced the dosage.

Armour Thyroid review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hypothryroid
Dosage & duration:   90mcg (dosage frequency: once daily) for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   Not as tired, thicker hair, not gaining weight as easily
Side effects:   Have not experienced any yet
Comments:   Once daily in the am

Armour Thyroid review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   low thyroid
Dosage & duration:   60mg taken bid for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   "gloom and doom" was eliminated, feeling as if I didn't even have energy to life an arm was eliminated.
Side effects:   none
Comments:   My MD took me off Synthroid, which after 18 years of using, had quit working for me. Started Armour, and my symptoms which had developed the past several months disappeared.

Armour Thyroid review by 49 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   150mg taken 1 per day for the period of 7 years

Benefits:   much more effective than synthroid in raising body temperature, relieving fatigue, and weight loss
Side effects:   none
Comments:   take once per day in the morning

Armour Thyroid review by 45 year old female patient

Other conditions:   lethargic, weight gain

Benefits:   increased energy (moderate), weight stabilized
Side effects:   none noted
Comments:   perimenopausal symptoms initiated this prescription. Medication benefit seemed small, but just enough to balance me out. I haven't needed to increase since I started. Thyroid tests always show me with a "perfect" level since I've been taking it. I'm very drug sensitive and have noticed no side effects. The only drawback is having to wait 1/2 hour after taking before I can eat each day. Other than that, it's great - it's even inexpensive to buy!

Armour Thyroid review by 43 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Thyroid goiter
Dosage & duration:   90mg taken daily for the period of 6 years
Other conditions:   High blood pressure
Other drugs taken:   Diovan HCT

Benefits:   Before Armour I was taking synthroid, and had huge weight gain, depression, mood swings, etc. After switching to Armour my brain cleared, I had less problem with at least keeping my weight on the same level, no muscle cramps anymore
Side effects:   Still difficult to shed weight
Comments:   Taking medicine daily, half morning, half evening

Armour Thyroid review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Thyroid goiter
Dosage & duration:   90 mg taken half-a-tablet 2 times daily for the period of 9 years
Other conditions:   High blood pressure

Benefits:   Compared with synthroid that was prescribed to me in the beginning, I have fewer problems, like mood swings, sweating, weight gain, etc.
Side effects:   The problems have been reduced, but not eliminated completely. Alas, perhaps it is impossible :-))
Comments:   For the last 8 years I am taking 90 mg Armour thyroid daily for treatment of my multinodular goiter.

Armour Thyroid review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Hypothyriodism--Hashimoto's thyroiditis
Dosage & duration:   90 (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 4 years and continuing to
Other conditions:   perimenopausal
Other drugs taken:   bioidentical (natural) estradiol, bioidentical (natural) progesterone

Benefits:   Stopped hair loss, restored skin tone, normalized body fat/lean ratio, restored energy, restored normal sleep pattern and quality (had been waking feeling groggy, never felt rested)
Side effects:   none
Comments:   After trying Synthroid and Levoxyl (both T4 only, no T3, and both synthetic rather than bioidentical), and also for a while adding Cytomel (T3 only, also synthetic) over the course of about 3 years and having erratic results, little reduction of symptoms, and difficulty stabilizing dose, I asked my doctor if I could try Armour, since my mother, who has been hypothyroid for most of her life, found that brand to be her best choice. My body responded immediately.

Armour Thyroid review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   mild hypothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   2 grain (dosage frequency: divided dose 3x/day) for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   low Free T3

Benefits:   cost savings and more control versus combo of Levoxyl and Cytomel. Without insurance, I got my doctor to write a year's worth Rx and ordered in from Canada.
Side effects:   None with Armour. Cytomel got out of hand and I lost too much weight and my hair started to fall out. Armour is more naturally balanced.
Comments:   ongoing medication, helps get circulating T3 into my system, boosts metabolism and energy, makes me fee normal.

Armour Thyroid review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   hyhpothyroidism
Dosage & duration:   45 mg. taken 1 time daily for the period of 1.5 yers

Benefits:   weight loss, increased energy, better outlook on life, decreased anxiety, no longer have panic attacks, no longer feel depressed and in general feel happy and more content with life. My energy level has sky rocketed and my ability to be mentally focused is much better. My TSH went from 6.29 to .6. My T3 and T4 uptake are within the normal ranges.
Side effects:   I did not have any treatment side effects.
Comments:   I went in for a routine check up and mentioned feeling tired and anxious and asked if I could have my hormone levels checked. It turned out that I had hypothyroidism. I was given a choice of Synthroid or Armour thyroid. Based on everything that I had read I wanted to try the Armour. I started on 30 mg. and after about 6 months increased to 45 mg. Every 3-6 months I've had blood work and my TSH level has steadily dropped each time to my current level of .6. I feel better than I have in years. The difference in my mental outlook and energy is incredible. I also avoid soy products, products with fluoride and wait about 2 hours before eating after I take my medicine because I have read that doing these things are beneficial in making the treatment more effective.

Armour Thyroid review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   thinning hair
Dosage & duration:   30mg, 2 daily taken 30mg, 2 daily for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   had been converned abvout hair loss for several years (i think when i stopped taking birth control pills!) so thought it was hormonal. Hormones didn't help. The armour did reduce hair loss
Side effects:   none that i noticed. Also increased iodone in diet to help thyroid.
Comments:   had tried bio identical hormones to help (testosterone, estradiaol then estrone) with the hait loss but it didn't seem to work. I still beleive in bio identical hormones though.

Armour Thyroid review by 61 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   1 gr (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 15 years
Other conditions:   arthritis
Other drugs taken:   compounded progesterone, estrogen, testosterone

Benefits:   I tried all the popular medical treatments for hypothyroid including synthroid; combinations of T3 and T4; etc. etc. Either these treatments were ineffective (i.e. would raise my THS but leave me feeling fatigued) or would leave my heart racing. Armour thyroid was the only effective treatment
Side effects:   no treatment side effect for armour until last year when the pharma company decided to change the so called inert ingredients. My TSH jumped from 1.75 to 5.3 after 6 months on the new formulation.
Comments:   Sadly I have been searching for other hypothyroid meds that will regulate my thyroid and leave me feeling well. (I am an athlete and would like to continue to compete) I'm currently trying a compounded glandular thyroid product which is time released. I'm not entirely happy with the result, but perhaps after I continue with dosage adjustments I will be.