Antivert (Meclizine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Antivert (Meclizine) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 3 ratings/reviews, Antivert has an overall score of 8.33. The effectiveness score is 8.67 and the side effect score is 6.67. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Antivert review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Labyrinthitis
Dosage & duration:   25mg taken every 8 hours for the period of 3-4 days around the clock
Other drugs taken:   Multivitamin

Benefits:   Decreased the vertigo almost immediately; no further vomiting; I was able to walk and move my head without the awful spinning.
Side effects:   Sedation--I almost the entire time I took the medication...I'm not sure I could have taken this and gone to work.
Comments:   My doctor said the Labyrinthitis is usually preceded by a cold and fluid collects in the inner portion of the ear and causes the dizziness/vomiting. The treatment was symptom relief (using the Meclizine) and the fluid gradually absorbs.

Antivert review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   B.P.P.V. (benign proxysmal positional vertigo)
Dosage & duration:   25 mg taken when i felt dizzy for the period of One prescription... about 4 months

Benefits:   It helped with the dizziness only because it made me so sleepy I couldn't stay up to notice the dizziness!
Side effects:   Sometimes it would make my heart race so fast I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. This happened about 1 out of ever 5 times I took it.
Comments:   It had sedative effects so it just made me want to sleep. It wouldn't have been good for me at treating my dizzy spells while I was at work or in the middle of running errands because I would get much too tired to function safely.

Antivert review by 72 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Dizzyness,, Vertigo, Nausea,
Dosage & duration:   50 mg taken 50mg up to 400 mg per day prn for the period of 50 mg per day and more if needed
Other conditions:   Chronic small airway disease
Other drugs taken:   advair prn & spiriva

Benefits:   Restored me from total incapacitation to a full function.
Side effects:   Some drowsiness until I got used to it. The side effects are totally insignificant compared to the benefits. I usually take 50 mg at bedtime. The side effect of slight drowsiness is actually beneficial as I get to sleep faster and can function the next day with out the horrendous effects of dizziness, vertigo and nausea.
Comments:   I had my first episode of incapacitating dizziness, vertigo, nausea and vomiting in about 1972. I was a practicing Orthopedic Surgeon at the time. I was bed, flat on my back for about two weeks, when a fellow M.D. prescribed meclizine for me. Within a few days I was back at work, fully functional. Since then I have ad about three significant episodes of acute dizzy, nausea and vertigo. Each as been less severe. At the onset I take as many 50 mg meclizine tablets as I need to stop the process in its tracks. That can be up to 6 to 8 tabloids. Once the ephisode passes, usually in a fe days, I go back to my routine of one tablet at night. This drug has been a true godsend for me.