Amitiza (Lubiprostone) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Amitiza (Lubiprostone) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 2 ratings/reviews, Amitiza has an overall score of 6. The effectiveness score is 6 and the side effect score is 8. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Amitiza review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   IBS
Dosage & duration:   12mcg (dosage frequency: 3 times a day) for the period of still taking
Other conditions:   allergies,chronic back pain, acid reflux
Other drugs taken:   zyrtec, celexa, nexium

Benefits:   My stomach aches went away. I wasn't as nauseated as I would have been without anything.
Side effects:   I have been getting headaches sporadically and the doctor said this is a possbile side effect. Also, I was very nauseated the first 2 weeks, which they say happens in 30% of the population taking this drug, but then it subsided.
Comments:   I am taking this medication after being diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I was on Zelnorm for this and it was like a miracle drug!! It fixed all my problems for months, then it went off the market. The doctor then told me to try this as an option. It definately helps more than not taking anything at all and I can tell when I get these stomach pains that I forgot to take the drug.

Amitiza review by 50 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   stomach/digestive disorder
Dosage & duration:   24 mcg 2x per day (dosage frequency: daily) for the period of 3 months

Benefits:   I experienced some alleviation to the constipation but it was not ongoing. It was temporary & it was not regular. I expected that the treatment would be a cure not jsu a temporary relief.
Side effects:   I felt nauseous & bloated.
Comments:   I experienced constipation as a side effect to pain meds from surgery. I did not have previous problems with it. It never got better even a long time after the surgery. My doctor recommended I try amitiza after many over the counter products failed. I used it for 3 months. I had some relief but it definitely was not a cure. I quit using the drug since it did not give me significant relief.