Alprazolam (Alprazolam) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Alprazolam reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 13 ratings/reviews, Alprazolam has an overall score of 8.77. The effectiveness score is 8.92 and the side effect score is 8.46. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Alprazolam review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .5mg once a day taken up to once a day for the period of over two years

Benefits:   In low doses, this drug does exactly what it says it does - reduces symptons of anxiety. It is especially helpful for very anxiety-producing situations such as speaking in front of groups, flying, and going into crowded places. The drug produces a feeling of being more relaxed, and in extremely high anxiety situations (flying), if I take the full dose of .5 mg, it will sleep and wake up with no residual effects.
Side effects:   Drowsiness, if I take the high end of the prescribed dose, but in this case, that's the desired effect.
Comments:   I can take up to .5 mg / day as needed. I usually take .25 mg to .5 mg / day.

Alprazolam review by 55 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken 3x daily for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   depression

Benefits:   I found that episodes of anxiety were less frequent and less severe. I was not as edgy or easily startled.
Side effects:   During the day, there were times I was drowsy and did not feel it was safe to take the medication, as I had to be alert for driving or for concentrating at work.
Comments:   Doctor monitored, and when there was improvement sustained over time, I "weaned" off the drug and have a prescription where I can take small doses "as needed."

Alprazolam review by 70 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety, Panic Attck, Nervousness
Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg taken in the beginning i took 0.25 mg for the period of For 8 years
Other conditions:   Blood Pressure, Mildly Diabetic
Other drugs taken:   Zestril, Glucophage, Amlodipine (Novasc)

Benefits:   I experienced Xannax more effective for anxiety and panic attacks.
Side effects:   I didn't feel any alarming side effects from this medication even after using for over 8 years. The feeling of dependency doesn't bother as we are sometimes addict of certain foods also.
Comments:   First I experienced the state of anxiety and panic at the age of 20. Starting with Librium I was successful to managed and control my mood and over sensitive nature. Regular exercise, food and lively hobbies helped to relieve me form all sedative and tranquilizers. It was, probably, job related stress and tension what triggered the state of anxiety and panic. Now the above-mentioned medications are helping to perform my activities, mostly as a normal person.

Alprazolam review by medical professional caring for 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Psychosomatic disorder
Dosage & duration:   0.5mg TDS taken tds for the period of 3 weeks
Other conditions:   headache, insomnia
Other drugs taken:   PPIs, Beta Blockers

Benefits:   In short, the patient recovered. The patient sometimes used to report higher grades of Blood Pressure, anxiety and headache. Also reported to have back ache some times. The present treatment gave patient comfort and she has recovered to a greater extent, and is able to live a normal life now.
Side effects:   Mild.
Comments:   Treatment with PPI lasted for 2 weeks. With Alprazolam for 3 weeks. Ant with Beta Blocker, for management.

Alprazolam review by 70 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety, Panic Attck, Nervousness
Other conditions:   Blood Pressure, Mildly Diabetic
Other drugs taken:   Zestril, Glucophage, Amlodipine (Novasc)

Benefits:   I experienced Xannax more effective for anxiety and panic attacks.

Alprazolam review by 44 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   .5 mg taken daily for the period of 12 months
Other conditions:   Depression
Other drugs taken:   Budeprion

Benefits:   Anxiety greatly diminished shortly after taking alprazolam. The alprazolam was also effective in calming the mind prior to sleep. I have taken alprazolam for anxiety attacks, worrisome and obsessive thinking and in order to fall asleep.
Side effects:   I noticed no adverse side effects other than an occassional grogginess the next day after taking it at night.
Comments:   The Doctor prescribed alprazolam for anxiety, taken daily every 8 hours or as needed to treat immediate symptoms.

Alprazolam review by 23 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Panic disorder, agoraphobia
Dosage & duration:   0.25 (dosage frequency: as needed) for the period of 1 month
Other conditions:   Insomnia, high blood pressure, agora

Benefits:   Helped me be able to leave the house for the first time in months, quickly reduced my anxiety and I didn't have any attacks.
Side effects:   Barely any despite some slight confusion.
Comments:   This medication (and other benzodiazepines) has gotten a bad reputation because some irresponsible people have ruined it for those that actually need it. If people would take this drug as prescribed, there would not be as many problems and it wouldn't carry the stigma it does now. I started having panic attacks when I turned 21, and the condition soon worsened into full-blown panic disorder. A year later, I couldn't hold down a job and was agoraphobic. I tried counseling and medications like Zoloft and Lexapro. The side effects from those made me feel worse than I did just not taking them. Finally my doctor decided to put me on Alprazolam as-needed. It has been a life-saver for me. I would take the lowest dose (0.25 mg), and be able to leave my house for the first time in months. I visited friends, went to restaurants, and did everything I used to do before my disorder. I finally felt like I had my life back. I would take one whenever I anticipated a situation where I could have an attack, or when I felt one coming on already. Sometimes I didn't even need all of the 0.25 mg and could break it in half. Too many people abuse this medication by upping their dosage without a doctor's consent or using it when they don't need to, and now you are almost treated like a criminal at some pharmacies and doctor's offices when they learn you are taking it because they think you are a druggie. I *much* prefer this medication over any of the SSRIs, which have horrible side effects. I felt like a zombie on those medications, had no sex drive at all, and didn't have any energy whatsoever. The doctors tell you those side effects will go away with use, but for days to even weeks you feel 10 times worse than you did before. It's just not worth it. 0.25 mg of Alprazolam as-needed for anxiety has helped me get my life back on track and really helped save me from spending days and nights locked away in my house. I highly recommend this medication for responsible people who just need something in a crutch and don't want to go on long-term SSRIs that leave you feeling drained and lifeless. Yes, counseling and therapy are a better alternative to medication, but the problem is always finding a *good* counselor, and sometimes even then, they just don't work. I have seen 3 counselors and all of them have failed to help me with anything, all I did was waste a $20 copay each visit to have them tell me things that sounded like they came from an inspirational booklet. Taken *as* prescribed or as-needed, this drug is wonderful.

Alprazolam review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Anxiety
Dosage & duration:   0.5 mg taken as needed for the period of 6 months
Other conditions:   Depression
Other drugs taken:   None (just vitamin supplements)

Benefits:   Able to cope more successfully during panic attacks and acute anxiety episodes. Able to sleep better at night (get to sleep).
Side effects:   The only side effects noticed were dry eyes upon waking in the morning.
Comments:   Took 0.5 mg Xanax as needed for anxiety, prescribed by primary care physician. Was very helpful in getting me through an extremely stressful time of my life.

Alprazolam review by 39 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety and panic diorder
Dosage & duration:   0.5 (dosage frequency: i take one a day) for the period of currently taking
Other drugs taken:   buspar, zoloft, ambien

Benefits:   Alprazolam worked wonders for me I wish I had gotten prescribed a long time ago, works very well for anxiety and panic.
Side effects:   At first it made me a little tired but that did not last long
Comments:   I take it prn when my anxiety is at a high level, I have one with me at all times incase I need it, one usually does the trick and I feel "normal" it is a feeling I have not had in a long time, I would recomment this drug to anyone suffering from anxiety and or panic.

Alprazolam review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   tinnitus
Dosage & duration:   .5 mg q day taken nightly for the period of 3 years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   zoloft

Benefits:   Treatment benefits were reduced anxiety caused by ringing in the ears sufficiently to allow rest and sleep.
Side effects:   Occasional daytime drowsiness, muscle and joint pain seemed more intense while on alprazolam.
Comments:   Alprazolam used at night to reduce anxiety and ringing in ears, also reduced use of ibuprofen and tylenol as this may contribute to ringing in the ears.

Alprazolam review by 57 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   anxiety
Dosage & duration:   .25 mg taken 3 times a day/or as needed for the period of Still taking it.
Other drugs taken:   Tried various antidepressants without success.

Benefits:   About 14 years ago I started hyperventilating for no apparent reason. I would wake up in the morning and within an hour I felt like I had to struggle to breath. This would continue all day, every day. After 5 years, I was prescribed alprazolam (the generic Xanax). It worked almost immediately. I still have some days that are worse than others, but it has been a lifesaver for me. I take one when I get up and then 2 or 3 times again during the day as needed. It stops the hyperventilating totally for the most part.
Side effects:   The only side effect is a mild drowsiness. I take a very small dose. The highest I take at one time is .5 mg.
Comments:   I take one .25 mg pill within 1 hour of waking up. I usually take the second one around noon and another before going to bed. If my condition is worse for whatever reason, then I might take another one during the day, or one .5 mg in the evening. Sometimes if I'm busy and I miss taking a dose, and I feel myself beginning to hyperventilate, I'll then take one. It works fast.

Alprazolam review by 25 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic attacks
Dosage & duration:   1mg taken 3 times a day for the period of nearly 2 years

Benefits:   It was very good in controlling the panic attacks. Before taking it I was even unable to drive my car down the road without having a panic attack. I worked liked magic from the very first dose. I could resume to being close to feeling like a normal person again. It worked well for panic attack prevention.
Side effects:   There were no real side effects other than a dry mouth. I still suffered from some anxiety symtoms such as feeling a bit nervous restless, sometimes had trouble sleeping. If I drank alcohol at the same time in small amounts, I felt even better and seemed to have no bad feeling at all but that was short lived, and as I found out later on also dangerous. And Just don"t ever stop taking it suddenly. Thats also very dangerous.
Comments:   The treatment was to take three 1 mg tablet a day, with food. The trouble was that I became very reliant on the medication and felt I needed to keep taking it. Then one day I decided to quit and I just stopped taking it. I don"t know why I did not slowly wean myself off over a couple of weeks. Over the course of the next three days I never got out of the house I was sick, shaking uncontrollably, having hallucinations both audial and visual I thought I was going to die. I felt like hell. A friend found me and took me to the doctor. It was the worst feeling I have ever felt in my life it was the withdrawal symptoms from the drug. All I needed to do was take more, but I felt to afraid. To this day I cant tell you why I just could"nt think straight.

Alprazolam review by 44 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Panic Disorder
Dosage & duration:   0.25 MG As Needed taken as needed for the period of Still after 14 years
Other conditions:   Seasonal Allergies

Benefits:   Control of Panic Attacks that interrupted daily activity. Treatment of sudden increased anxiety, tachycardia, shortness of breathe, due to stress, general anxiety disorder.
Side effects:   None
Comments:   At the start of this disorder I thought I was having a heart attack, was in the Dr's office with an EKG racing at 115 beats fluctuating from 85, short of breath and nurse asking me if I am ok. I simply told her, this is why I am here, for absolutely no reason my body is doing this craziness. Panic disorder or general anxiety probable cause stress. I did not feel stressed so this confused me further. One 30 day prescription of 0.25mg pills can last anywhere from two months to six months. As needed works great for me as when I know my heart starts racing and the adrenaline starts pumping for no reason, half of 0.25mg pill will offset that attack. I am also a smoker so reduced 50% absorption, is enough to stop the panic. I do not take this medication daily and have not for over 10 years. I only use it when I can not control the imbalance, if I can not lower my heart rate with breathing etc., I will then take a half which brings it under control. I believe in my case it is more of an imbalance or even a food allergy causing the disorder, I am glad to have the smallest dosage alleviate the symptoms when needed.