Aldara (Imiquimod) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Aldara (Imiquimod) reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 7 ratings/reviews, Aldara has an overall score of 5.86. The effectiveness score is 7.43 and the side effect score is 5.43. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Aldara review by 40 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   skin cancer
Dosage & duration:   packet , 5% cream daily (dosage frequency: nightly for 7 nights) for the period of one week
Other drugs taken:   fexofenidine

Benefits:   Aldara did seem to crust up my previous skin cancer area and help minimize my scar from MOHS surgery for skin cancer. Due to the side effects I could only tolerate for one week opposed to 6 week regiman.
Side effects:   I felt an out of it feeling, like a depressed feeling, I was fatigued and I broke out with severe blisters on and around my lips.
Comments:   I used 1/4 of a packet(5% cream) on just my nose every other night and on alternating nights I put on an entire packet on my entire face.

Aldara review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   scar revision surgery
Dosage & duration:   3 x per week (dosage frequency: 6 weeks) for the period of 6 weeks

Benefits:   aldara was used on several areas on my face where i had scar revision surgery to help heal surgical wound on face. It was prescribed by my doctor to speed up healing.
Side effects:   there was reddening, thickening of the area the medication was placed. some peeling and itching occurred at the wound treated.
Comments:   to put aldara on the surgical wounds 3 x per week for 8 hours at nite. treatment began immediately after the surgery and was used while the stitches were still in...the stitches were removed after one week and treatment with aldara continued.

Aldara review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   scar revision
Dosage & duration:   apply to scar 3 x per week (dosage frequency: 3 x per week) for the period of 6 weeks
Other conditions:   nonr

Benefits:   to help heal several facial scar revision surgical wounds to heal faster.
Side effects:   the cream caused reddening, thickening and itching at the wound site. some peeling occurred.
Comments:   put the cream on the new surgical scar immediately after surgery, while the stitches were still in. 3 x per week at nite for 8 hours. Cover with plastic type saran wrap and tape so that cream does not get wiped off or smeared. wash off thoroughly in the morning.

Aldara review by 49 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   basal cell carcinoma
Dosage & duration:   5 times per week at bedtime (dosage frequency: twice) for the period of 8 weeks each time
Other conditions:   actinic keratoses, basal cell carcinoma

Benefits:   The cream made the basal cell carcinoma and actinic keratoses react, scab up, and heal to nice smooth skin after about two weeks after treatment with the cream ended.
Side effects:   I had no side effects. Some people think the ulcerated scabby areas are side effects, but this is what the cream is designed to do, make bad cells react and destruct.
Comments:   The cream is applied at bedtime for five nights a week for Basal Cell Carcinoma. Three night per week for actinic keratosis. You do this for eight weeks in a row. By the end of eight weeks, the bad cells react gradually as scabby spots. This is how you know the medicine is working. You put the cream on the spots your doctor tells you to, with about an inch margin all around it.

Aldara review by 53 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   superfacial basal cell carcinoma
Dosage & duration:   small amount of cream applied to area (dosage frequency: 5 nights in a row, skip 2) for the period of 6 weeks

Benefits:   removal of superfacial basal cell skin carcinomas without surgery
Side effects:   moderately severe skin blistering and seeping
Comments:   The treatment involved a 6 week period of applying a small amount of cream directly to the affected area of my chest with no harm to surrounding "good" tissue. I was directed to apply the cream every evening before bed for 5 nights in a row then allow a "rest" period for 2 days. After about 1 1/2 weeks I started getting blisters that eventually started itching and seeping. I called my derm and was told to wait for about a week and then to reapply the cream. I did as instructed and all the abnormal skin cells were gone but I was left with small pink colored scars all over my chest. I have worked for about 2 years applying many different things to even my skin tone back up with only limited success. Since my first experience I have been given different instructions on the use of Aldara which includes a less vigorous treatment schedlue. I have learned since that I should not have allowed the severe skin reaction that I thought was part of the treatment, wrong!

Aldara review by 48 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Basal cell and squamous cancer
Dosage & duration:   5 times a week for 3 weeks (dosage frequency: every day for 2 weeks) for the period of Everyday for 2 weeks

Benefits:   Did well to get rid og the skin cancer
Side effects:   Flu symptoms, the lesions were horrible but expected. Have taken this before. This time however I got thrush. That was the worst. I was under alot of stress before treatment. Not sure if that had an impact.
Comments:   I chose to do everyday for 2 weeks without the two day rest period. I needed to finish my treatment before a state exam I was scheduled for. That may have been my mistake.

Aldara review by 53 year old female patient

Side effects:   Extremely Severe Side Effects

Condition / reason:   bowens cancer on tip of nose
Dosage & duration:   (dosage frequency: 5 days on 2 days off) for the period of 8 weeks

Benefits:   cancer is gone
Side effects:   flu like feelings, very tired, blurred vision,then started getting really dry skin all over my face, then started getting burns all down both arms. The dermatologist did a biopsy and the results weere I have Subacute Lupis Erythematosus whish is directly related to taking this drug aldaa. My lymph nodes were swollen. It was horrible and now I am left with this lifetime crap to deal with, can't go in the sun breakout of burns are always a threat. Am sooo sorry I ever took this drug.
Comments:   I had to take this drug for 5 days and then come off of it for 2 days