Adderall (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine / Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Adderall reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 23 ratings/reviews, Adderall has an overall score of 8.26. The effectiveness score is 8.87 and the side effect score is 7.39. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Adderall review by 45 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Major Clinical Depression
Dosage & duration:   5mg taken 2x/day for the period of one month
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin, Paxil

Benefits:   Reduced fatigue, increased concentration, focus, and motivation.
Side effects:   Occasionally an increased heartrate.
Comments:   Adderall was prescribed for use while antidepressants were taking effect, to give immediate relief from an episode of major depression.

Adderall review by 39 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   15 mg, 3x/day taken every day for the period of 1 year
Other conditions:   I've had insomnia when I take this drug too late in the day.
Other drugs taken:   Lorazapem (occasionally)

Benefits:   Ability to focus, not become so disoriented. Able to think more clearly.
Side effects:   Hard to fall asleep if taken too late in the day. Affects my skin somewhat (more blemishes, seems to age my skin somewhat)
Comments:   I take 3 Adderall per day. 1 1/2 pill in the morning, and 1 1/2 in the the afternoon. Each pill is 15 mg. I break one in half to divide between morning and afternoon. I see my doctor once every 3 months to discuss how it's working. I started out on 5mg, 2x/day, but I developed a tolerance to it over time and went from 5 mg/2x day, to 10mg/2x day to 15mg 2x/day to 15mg 3/day.

Adderall review by 35 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADHA
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once daily for the period of 6 mths
Other conditions:   Anxiety, depression
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutin

Benefits:   This medication helped me marginally to focus better and was somewhat more energetic.
Side effects:   I did not had much side effects, had some dry mouth at times but was manageable.
Comments:   I started with low dose with 5 mg dialy, gradually increased upto 20 mg. Did not hv satisfactory results but my psychiatrist did not feel comfortable to increase the dose due to serious drug abuse potential though I absolutely hv never tried as illicit drugs including the most commonly used MJ and alcohol.

Adderall review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Attention deficit disorder
Dosage & duration:   15mg taken once a day for the period of 4 years

Benefits:   My attention span was incrementally increased, as was the intensity of my focus. Also, while taking the drug, I noted a significant decrease in my appetite, which subsequently induced a fair amount of weight loss.
Side effects:   I experienced heightened levels of sleeplessness while on the medication. In addition, I was constantly concerned about my ability to study and perform while not on the medication. While this is not a physical side effect, it is a very real emotional one that caused me some stress.
Comments:   After noticing that I was having difficulty being attentive during my high school classes, experiencing an inability to sustain focus on one thing at a time, and was unable to finish assignments on time due to these two symptoms, I decided to see my doctor. He asked me a variety of questions about my current state and the problems I was having, and after listening, prescribed a small dosage of Adderall to alleviate these issues. After taking the first dose, my concentration increased ten-fold. As a result, my grades went up. I discontinued my use of Adderall upon my college graduation, and have found that while I still suffer from symptoms of attention deficit disorder, it is having a decreased effect on my adult life.

Adderall review by 28 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   depression
Dosage & duration:   40 mg taken 1/day for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   lexapro

Benefits:   Increased productivity, ability to stay awake during the day.
Side effects:   Dry lips & mouth. Teeth grinding. Tough time sleeping. Highly addictive.
Comments:   This was used in conjunction with Lexapro for depression. I started taking it to keep myself awake (drowsiness as a side effect of the LExapro). However I quickly lost about 10 lbs and couldn't stop moving around. Eventually my thinking became jumbled (I don't have ADD). I was constantly thinking in circles.

Adderall review by 33 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   attention deficit disorder
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken twice daily for the period of 3months

Benefits:   i was able to focus and organize my thoughts in a clear and concise manner. i completed tasks more efficiently and had more patience with my children.
Side effects:   dry mouth, thirsty, dehydration, racing heart at times, inability to fall asleep at times
Comments:   i was on adderall off and on for approximately 3 months. i was diagnosed with adult add and put on adderall to control it. it worked quite effectively but u decided to discontinue using it and seek alternative non medicinal treatments

Condition / reason:   Attention Deficit Disorder
Dosage & duration:   30 mgs daily taken daily for the period of 15 years so far
Other conditions:   Auditory Processing Difficulties, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin periodically and Effexor

Benefits:   Able to concentrate on school, work, movies and everything else that might go into a day. Able to become interested in hobbies and follow through with them. People treated me differently. The horses even treated me differently! This medicine changed my life. Gained the ability to remember things from conversations to classwork.
Side effects:   Hair loss. Weight loss, which is nice at first but changes to malnourishment after a few years. Relationships changed because I was no longer able to be manipulated.
Comments:   1/2 in the AM. 1/2 after lunch

Adderall review by 59 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 1 x day for the period of 6 mo.
Other conditions:   depression
Other drugs taken:   progesterone, estrogen replacement, Lexapro

Benefits:   Increased interest and enthusiasm in activities.
Side effects:   None noticeable.
Comments:   Diagnosed with Adult ADD, I first took Ritalin. I found this to cause some 'nervousness' and to have peaks & valleys. I switched to Adderall XR and find I notice no physical symptoms, only an increase in positive mood and desire to accomplish the days work. The effect does seem to peak soon after the dose, slowly level out, and at about 6-8 hrs. after initial dose, I feel calm but now enthusiastic as earlier in the day.

Condition / reason:   Attention Deficit Disorder
Dosage & duration:   30 mgs daily taken daily for the period of 15 years so far
Other conditions:   Auditory Processing Difficulties, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Wellbutrin periodically and Effexor

Benefits:   Quality of life improved 10 fold. Able to follow through with hobbies and interests as well as work. Before treatment, memory was nonexistent. After treatment not only could I remember things but time itself changed. Time seemed to move faster. The body, down to a cellular level, processes toxins faster so skin becomes clear and perfect.
Side effects:   Hair loss. Hyperthyroid at first then Hypothyroid. The initial weight loss is pretty cool but over time can lead to malnourishment. Have to be careful not to fall into a "manic" mode because it is totally annoying to others. Also it tends to cause tension in my back. I've spent much money at the chiropractor over the years. Otherwise the pain is unbearable.
Comments:   This medicine changed my life, but there are still spin off's of ADD, like the auditory processing, anxiety and emotional control and general sensitivity that have to be dealt with. Not to mention health issues like making sure to get enough vitamins (kelp levels out my thyroid pretty well), and picking up a prescription from the doctor every 30 days. I take 15 mgs AM and 15 after lunch. Can't take it too late in the day or will cause sleeplessness.

Adderall review by 52 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Adult ADD
Dosage & duration:   7.5 mg taken 2 times per day for the period of 2 years-still taking it
Other drugs taken:   Zoloft

Benefits:   Adderall greatly improved my focus and concentration. Before my diagnosis of adult ADD, I had a very difficult time focusing and staying on task. I also experienced "hyper-focusing", which prevented me from getting things done at work in a timely manner. It has also helped improved my memory.
Side effects:   I didn't notice any side effects from Adderall. However, it is metabolized very quickly and only stays effective for about 3 to 4 hours. Forgetting to take the second dose around 1:00pm makes for a confusing afternoon, until I remember to take it.
Comments:   My prescriber and I went through about 3 different medications before Adderall, and those did have unpleasant side effects such as sweaty palms (all the time), dizziness, and heart palpitations. Once I found that Adderall didn't cause side effects for me, we gradually increased the dosage from 5 mg to 10mg and then back down to 7.5 mg which works best for me.

Adderall review by 47 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   add
Dosage & duration:   40mg 2X day taken 2xday for the period of 1 yr
Other conditions:   depression, anxiety
Other drugs taken:   doxepin

Benefits:   I find Adderall compared to other ADD meds to work most efficiently to help me focus and give me drive and motivation to stay on task without the jitters found in some ADD meds. Helps control anxiety
Side effects:   lower immunity, some insomnia
Comments:   Couldn't focus ,stay on task, due to this caused lack of motivation. Tried Ritalin, and others . They did not work. Went on 1 yr ago. Maintaining same daily dosage.

Adderall review by 46 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   attention deficit disorder
Dosage & duration:   20 mg once a day (I would cut in half) taken 10 mg twice a day for the period of 10 years

Benefits:   Adderall allowed me to start and FINISH projects. It also gave me energy. I am not a coffee drinker, so Adderall was like my “morning coffee.” It sometimes would give me a feeling of mild euphoria, which was nice. Certain tasks (like cleaning the house!) didn’t seem so difficult because I would not get distracted by other things.
Side effects:   Adderall allowed me to start and FINISH projects. It also gave me energy. I am not a coffee drinker, so Adderall was like my “morning coffee.” It sometimes would give me a feeling of mild euphoria, which was nice. Certain tasks (like cleaning the house!) didn’t seem so difficult because I would not get distracted by other things. Also dry mouth.
Comments:   I was put on the medication by my family doctor when I complained of my inability to finish projects. It was affecting every area of my life – work and relationships. Initially, I was prescribed Ritalin (but it gave me major tension headaches). I was then prescribed Adderall. It seemed to work right away with minimal side effects.

Adderall review by 41 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD, Depression
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken 3x a day for the period of 8 yrs
Other conditions:   Depression
Other drugs taken:   Effexor

Benefits:   Ability to focus, motivation, energy, stamina all increased. Feeling of well-being after being in the 'black hole' of depression. My sleep is improved, have no trouble going to sleep, quells disturbing\busy dreams that used to leave me exhausted in the morning. I don't lie awake at night trying to slow down or calm my mind.
Side effects:   Dry mouth leading to some dental cavities. Desire to smoke is increased. Jaw/hand/foot clenching. Loss of appetite, great for keeping thin, sometimes have to force myself to eat/drink.
Comments:   Took 20mg 3x a day. Immediate release worked better than the extended version because I had more control of the med to taper it to my needs/schedule during the day.

Adderall review by 23 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   possible ADD
Dosage & duration:   5 mg taken up to 3 times a day for the period of 7 months so far
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   sometimes Lorazepam, OrthoTriCyclen

Benefits:   The adderall allows me to focus and study better. I definitely function better while taking it. I am prescribed to take it "as needed" which means that I don't take it everyday. I tend to take it most school days (med school) and take more of it during testing times. I am prescribed to take it up to 3 times a day, but I rarely have taken that much.
Side effects:   If I take a 5 mg pill later than 3 pm or so it is difficult to fall asleep. I sometimes get jittery or feel like my heart is racing. Sometimes I have strange muscle twitches that I can't control. Some days it makes me lose my appetite completely, which doesn't sound bad but I'm already a little underweight.
Comments:   Since I control when I take the meds (what time, how much- up to 3 per day) I think I have over-done it on occasion, even though it was never above what I'm perscribed. Some days I will take 3 pills so I can truly concentrate, and then can't sleep. . . may have to take a sleeping pill. . . wake up feeling awful and groggy. . . and have to do the whole viscious cycle all over again. So, even though I'm doing what I'm perscribed to do, it can be too much for me. I can understand why there is abuse potential with this drug, as you start feeling dependent on it. Even with all that, the drug has helped me out more than I can ever explain.

Adderall review by 22 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   add
Dosage & duration:   20 mg/day taken about 5 days a week for the period of several years

Benefits:   I was able to focus and get things done. I wasn't overwhelmed with the amount of things I had to do and didn't get discouraged as easily as usual.
Side effects:   I had trouble falling asleep, especially if I didn't take it early enough in the morning.
Comments:   I had no problems with the medication. I don't take it every day.

Adderall review by care giver of 15 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 2x a days mon - fri during school days for the period of 2 years

Benefits:   My daughter was unable to focus and concentrate during classes. Her marks were terrible, she was failing many classes in spite of studying for hours on end (I can verify this as I studied with her) Her self esteem was very low due to this and the fact that she has a sister who consistently achieves high grades. She became depressed and frustrated by this situation. After seeing a neurologist and doing many test she was diagnosed with ADD. We started her on Adderall and the results have been amazing. Now, she does minimal studying and her marks are EXCELLENT! She is able to focus and really pay attention in classes so the information is not only understood but retained. Her self esteem has soared and she is once again a happy little girl.
Side effects:   We took her off the time released medication and switched is a regular so that it would not interfer with her sleep which it did in the beginning with the time released.
Comments:   She takes 10 mg at 6:00 A.M. and another at 12:00 noon which lasts through homework. This is only on school days and we go off althought during summer and school holidays with not adverse effects

Adderall review by 20 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADD/ADHD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg 2wice daily taken everyday for the period of 3 monthes-still on it.
Other conditions:   none.
Other drugs taken:   none.

Benefits:   ability to stay awake, focus, do daily household chores, run needed errands & helped my organizational skills as far as bills
Side effects:   dry mouth. sometimes slight headaches, but not completely sure if its just from medicatation or being tired as i do have a very busy schedule,
Comments:   i was prescribed 60 tablets of 20 mg. he told me to experiment myself as to what dosage worked for me, not exceeding 2 whole pills daily. normally i take one whole pill in the morning at 6:30-7 @ 1/2 at 12 and 1/2 before work at 4 pm. sometimes on the weekend i'll only take 1 because i try to have extras in case needed at another time & i dont want to build up tolerance

Adderall review by 22 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   25mg taken once daily for the period of 4 + years
Other conditions:   anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Loestrin

Benefits:   This treatment was easy and highly effective. Adderall increased my overall energy levels, making it easier to get going in the morning and stay awake during classes. It increased my ability to pay attention even when the material was not particularly interesting to me. The most important benefit for me was the increased ability to control my impulses.
Side effects:   If taken too late in the day, it can interfere with sleep. It must be carefully controlled as it is addictive. The main side effect I have experienced though was pathological skin picking. I mainly pick at my legs, but the picking sometimes leaves small scars. It also decreases appetite, which means patients must learn new ways to remember to eat or to identify the need to eat. It can also increase blood pressure slightly.
Comments:   Adderall was taken once in the morning every day. This medication was combined with cognitive behavioral therapy once a week. Within the last year, neurofeedback (biofeedback to control brainwave patterns) was added. This treatment has been very effective, and will be continued as long as it is needed.

Adderall review by 24 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ADD
Dosage & duration:   10mg taken twice daily, one dose for the period of One month

Benefits:   Increased concentration and attention span, reduced appetite. Material studied remained more solidly in short-term memory.
Side effects:   Mild addiction and nausea when treatment period ended. Material studied tended to dissipate in longer-term memory. After treatment period appetite returned with a vengence,resulting in overeating.
Comments:   One 10mg tablet of Adderall was taken twice daily for a period of one month. After one month, the treatment ceased.

Adderall review by 32 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ADHD, depression/anxiety
Dosage & duration:   10 mg taken 3 times per day for the period of 5 years
Other conditions:   Social anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Celexa, Effexor, Valium, Ambien

Benefits:   Adderall helps to clear my mind. It helps me finish work that I have already begun. It also reduces anxiety in social situations.
Side effects:   Muscle tension, laziness, daytime sleepiness, avoidant behavior. Lack of creativity - seems like I'm "stuck" in a routine. General irritability.
Comments:   Started with Celexa to treat anxiety/depression, then was diagnosed with adult ADHD, and started on Adderall. Abused Adderall for about a year (sometimes taking up to 120mg per day), but eventually returned to 30 mg.

Condition / reason:   Depression, PTSD Fatigue
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 3 times/day for the period of current - 3 years
Other conditions:   Same as above
Other drugs taken:   Effexor XR

Benefits:   Definitely noticed right away that I had more energy, better concentration and motivation, and could actually focus for the first time in years. By taking this med, it caused a chain reaction that got my life moving forward again: I started by becoming able to get out of bed and get things done around the house. Had more motivation to help myself in other ways - better nutrition, better exercise, self care, etc. Then my body and mind began to kick in and heal itself more. Now the med simply acts as a support for me, but I am ready to start tapering down my dose!!!
Side effects:   Had trouble losing too much weight at first. But that levels off after a while. Had problems sleeping when the dose was increased too quickly. I have to make sure I take the full amount for the day at least before 12 noon or I will have trouble sleeping that night. Sometimes I get shaky/nervous, dry mouth, feel dehydrated.
Comments:   Take 2 pills about an hour before I wake up in the morning. Then I take the third pill between 11 am-12 noon.

Adderall review by 30 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Depression/ADD
Dosage & duration:   30mg taken when needed for the period of Just started

Benefits:   I failed out of school three times before I started to take Adderall. University once and a local college twice, in two different programs. Went back and my grades went from D's and F's to B's. I was able to concentrate and retain information. I don't have the fatigue, I had and I want to get the day going, instead of laying in bed for as long as I could. Literally changed my life.
Side effects:   Insomnia, dry mouth, appetite loss.
Comments:   30mg slow release in the morning.

Adderall review by 29 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   10 mg per day taken 2 x am for the period of Ongoin
Other conditions:   Bi Polar, ADHA, Mania
Other drugs taken:   Limictal (BiPolar), Lunesta (Sleep)

Benefits:   Being able to focus, weight loss, more energy, staying on task, more relaxed once it kicked in or wore off. Slowed down my thought process, anxiety went done, not over thinking and less of a worrier. No explosive episodes with family, stablized my moods. Work non stop, focused on tasks, can sit and stay still, read books for longer then 5 minutes. If you don't have ADHD and take this drug it will make you a hyperactive spaz and will have the oppositve effects.
Side effects:   Lack of sleep, this is why I was perscribed lunesta 3mg per night. Really happy and more talkative, have to watch what I say. Weight loss, loss of appetite, headaches from not eating, shakey, mild dizzyness, blurred vision, forgetfulness, moody if I missed a dose or it wore off, can become addicting, temporary fix to a permanent problem. Mild run around with getting the perscription filled because it is classified as a c2.
Comments:   Grew up poor so I didn't have insurance or a regular doctor to diagnose me. Lived with bipolar, adhd and mild OCD my entire life. Now that I have found out about all of my issues, I have been working with a good doctor who can "fix me." I never been this clear headed and happy since I was a child. Having these diseases without medication can ruin your life, your relationships, work, education, marriage etc. I can only go from this day forward and I plan on making it the best life possible. I will have to be on medication for the rest of my life.