Adderall XR (Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine / Dextroamphetamine / Amphetamine) - Reviews, Ratings, Comments by Patients

Below are Adderall XR reviews, ratings, comments submitted by patients and caregivers. Based on a total of 12 ratings/reviews, Adderall XR has an overall score of 7.17. The effectiveness score is 9 and the side effect score is 6. The scores are on ten point scale: 10 - best, 1 - worst. This information is not vetted and should not be cosidered as clinical evidence.

Adderall XR review by medical professional caring for 21 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   Attention Deficit Disorder (inattentive type)
Dosage & duration:   30 mg. taken bid (am and lunchtime) for the period of 2 years (so far - still on it)
Other drugs taken:   none (multivitamin only)

Benefits:   He was able to go to college and while he still wasn't the greatest student, he managed to get all assignments in on time. He rarely skipped classes. This was not at all true when he was in high school (prior to starting the medication.)
Side effects:   None.
Comments:   He was initially started on Concerta but he felt that the effects "kicked in" as he was leaving school and was having trouble sleeping (even though it was more than 12 hours later.) He started on Adderall XR 30 just once daily and he was slightly more attentive but adding the second dose was more helpful. Interestingly, he states he does not particularly enjoy being more attentive and does not take it when he does not have school.

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 3 weeks

Benefits:   To treat add. To releave sudden impulsive behavor. To help me focus on things that I had to do. To help me retain information that I was studing in school. To help me stop putting things off that were important for me to finish. To help improve my relationships.
Side effects:   I found that some of the side effects were very severe. I would have compulsive sexual desires that I had never had before and wanted sex with my husband all the time. I had great difficulty sleeping so I would take melatonin to go to sleep every night. I would talk very fast as well as move fast. I would have hand tremers. I also had very dry mouth and diarrhea.
Comments:   I woke up every morning a took 1 20mg tab with a full glass of water. Then, throughout the day I would have to make myself drink water and eat. I had lost all desire to eat or drink until around 8 or 9pm that day. I would have obsessive thoughts and couldn't stop working on something until it was finished. This meant even if I really needed to stop and do something else I couldn't. I called my doctor and explained this and he switched me to adderall 10mg without extended release. This has been much better. However, I still have some obsessive behavor. I have never been dx or tx for OCD.

Dosage & duration:   20mg taken once a day for the period of 3 weeks

Adderall XR review by 54 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   Adult ADD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg. taken 1 x day for the period of 2004 to present
Other conditions:   asthma, allergies
Other drugs taken:   flovent, flonase, albuteral inhaler

Benefits:   In a very short period of time, there was a mental clarity that I had never experienced. I felt a calm and order to my life and work. I was truly able to focus on important things that I needed to do and did so efficiently, which was something I was never able to do. Menopause exacerbated the extreme mental fuzziness that I had already been experiencing with 4 children and a more than full time job. This drug has truly changed my life for the better!
Side effects:   I did not experience any side effects that were negative. I could hear better and think in a focused way within a short amount of time (30-45 minutes after taking the drug)
Comments:   I take a 30 mg. pill shortly after waking and within an hour, the fog that I chronically have had all of my life just lifts!

Adderall XR review by care giver of 22 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   80mg taken qd for the period of 8 days

Benefits:   Patient was able to regain appropriate focus, improved ability in school. Patient reported better communication skills with family and friends.
Side effects:   Patient reported feeling "jittery" initially. After acclamation to medication patient reported that the "jittery" feeling he had initially reported had dissipated. No other treatment side effects were noted, or reported for this patient
Comments:   Pt presented with hx of adhd, prescribed adderral xr by physician, improved focus, f/u 1 month with continued positive results.

Adderall XR review by 30 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   ADHD
Dosage & duration:   1 30 mg pill per day. taken 1 x per week monday - friday for the period of Been taking it for 2 years
Other conditions:   Anxiety
Other drugs taken:   Birthcontrol- Yasmin

Benefits:   Helps me focus at work in the Corporate world. Also helps me to "think" before I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.
Side effects:   Inability to sleep some nights is the worst side effect. I take the medicine Monday through Friday and when I take Adderall each Monday, I usually cannot sleep Monday night. Sometimes I get overly anxious from taking the Adderall.
Comments:   I was diagnosed with ADHD in college and have taken Concerta, Zoloft, Ritalin and maybe a few others? I prefer the time release so I do not need to take multiple pills through out the day. (I would probably forget too!)

Adderall XR review by 17 year old male patient

Dosage & duration:   70mg taken once daily for the period of 3 years
Other drugs taken:   effexor

Benefits:   i cant list very many benefits because my expierience was so bad that i would rather have been dead than have been forced to have taken this pill every day for 3 to 4 years
Side effects:   i was severly depressed and had a lot of suicide attempts and i thought everyone hated me. i always wanted to be dead and nobody listened to me, they just upped the dosage and with the higher dosage the worse it got
Comments:   it sucked. sure i didnt have ADHD but i also felt as though i lost my soul in the proccess. i became so depressed i actually began to feel like a shell

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once a day for the period of 9 months
Other drugs taken:   birth control pills (Ortho Tri-Cyclen)

Benefits:   The medication helped the patient focus on daily activities and think more clearly. It also eased the patient's nervous 'fidgeting'.
Side effects:   The patient experienced some side-effects, including dry-mouth/increased thirst, dry skin and increased mild acne, and some mild sexual side-effects. The patient has attempted to combat all side-effects with increased water consumption.
Comments:   The patient was diagnosed with ADHD after describing a pattern of focus, memory and affect regulation problems she had experienced consistently since early childhood. The patient was given an initial prescription for Adderall XR in a 20 mg/day dose. The patient experienced an immediate improvement in her condition, which lasted for nearly three months. At three months, the patient described a waning of the positive effects of the medication but e reticence to increase the dosage without first pursuing other modes of treatment. After six months of treatment the patient, who had also begun behavioral counseling, agreed to increase her dosage to 30 mg/day. She has reported some increase in treatment side-effects but is generally pleased with the medication's positive effects.

Adderall XR review by 16 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ADD management
Dosage & duration:   25 MG taken daily for the period of 5 months
Other drugs taken:   Prozac 3 months after being on adderall

Benefits:   This does actually help calm you down and help you concentrate. My grades went upby a lot. I was calm and was doing much better on it (much better reffering to the ADD treatment) but there are so many negative side effects. In a way I regret ever taking it.
Side effects:   I developed an anorexia, I stopped eating and lost so much weight. I'm about 5ft. 6 now and weigh about 130 LBS. which is really skinny for my age and height. If I wouldn't have stopped I would be skin and bones. I got to a point where I lost color and I'm now way too skinny. Another side effect that I developed is insomnia. I have a VERY hard time sleeping. I can't fall asleep until about 1:00 and that's every night. It's horrible. Another side effect that's very serious, is development of depression. I had to go on anti-depressants because of the drug about 3 months after using adderall. It depresses you so much. After school I'd get home and be so depressed. I'd cry and just feel so misserable. I was seriously depressed. A fact that everyone should understand about adderall is that it's in a way a wattered down version of meth. The side effects are the same but not as severe. But it's still bad. It will mess up your teeth by giving you a VERY dry mouth, your weight and most of all your brain chemistry. I went from ADD to depression to now ADHD. I'm going back on stimulant drugs like adderall when school starts. I don't know how it'll work out because I now have a tolerance to it. And I'm getting new treatment. I don't know what'll happen or anything. But I just wantto get through school. Anyone that will be perscribbed to this should research on it and get the facts. Research for a long time. Not just one article reading. Get as much info as possible. The side effects are so severe that you should really know what you're exposing yourself to. They're all horrible. Especially the addiction that you get to it. I'm addicted to it and can't stop craving it. I feel like I need it so bad. It's been months and still I want it extremely bad. Be careful what choice you make. It gets the job done. Hut will screw up your life. This is just my experience. It may be different for you but still do your research.
Comments:   I was on 20 MGS for a while then went up to 40 then more and went back down to 25.

Adderall XR review by 18 year old male patient

Condition / reason:   ADHD
Dosage & duration:   20 mg taken once a day in the mornings for the period of a year
Other conditions:   diabetes type 1, hypothyroid, depression
Other drugs taken:   insulin, synthroid

Benefits:   great focus, mental clarity, helped me wake up, made me care about doing things and getting things finished, improved my mood. i started eating better for me (when i did eat), and it made me check my blood glucose levels more (so improved my health).
Side effects:   didn't eat as much, was a little emotionally cold sometimes.
Comments:   after psychological testing, was put on Adderall XR (I have known I was ADHD and needed medication for a long time, actually). i have nothing but good things to say about it. makes me feel "normal" for once. i finally am in control of things. also, after going on Adderall XR, I have been able to go off my Cymbalta (neither my doctor or I have figured out why this is... but it is!)

Adderall XR review by 21 year old female patient

Condition / reason:   lack of attention for studying/school
Dosage & duration:   20mg taken 3-5 times a week for the period of 14 months

Benefits:   Was able to study 6 hours in a row, pay attention in class rather than daydream, made me want to be perfect and learn everything.
Side effects:   Loss of appetite, dry mouth, insomnia, OCD habits. Last week, due to taking a class that was crammed into 2 weeks rather than 15 weeks, I took 9 adderall within a span of 5 days (mon-fri). By Wednesday night, I had a lot of trouble breathing, I would take really deep quick breaths over and over. This continued Thurs & Fri. My heart beat was unstable by Thursday. Thursday and Friday I had diarrhea all day, and by Friday night there was blood in my diarrhea.
Comments:   20mg XR once a day

Adderall XR review by 53 year old female patient

Dosage & duration:   30 mg taken once a day for the period of ongoing
Other conditions:   mood swings
Other drugs taken:   lexapro

Benefits:   Being more focused....alert...helped with over eating
Side effects:   when not taken I felt tired, and ate alot
Comments:   I took it once a day.. in the beginning it worked great but over time it didnt seem to be to effective... i took it for about 7 yrs. One thing is now that i am not taking it i eat more. i stopped taking lexapro 2yrs before. This didnt seem to help