- NSAIDs1 may cause an increased risk of serious cardiovascular thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal. This risk may increase with duration of use. Patients with cardiovascular disease or risk factors for cardiovascular disease may be at greater risk (see WARNINGS).
- Oxaprozin tablets are contraindicated for the treatment of peri-operative pain in the setting of coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery (see WARNINGS).
- NSAIDs cause an increased risk of serious gastrointestinal adverse events including bleeding, ulceration, and perforation of the stomach or intestines, which can be fatal. These events can occur at any time during use and without warning symptoms. Elderly patients are at greater risk for serious gastrointestinal events (see WARNINGS).
OXAPROZIN TABLETS USP, 600 mg
Oxaprozin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), chemically designated as 4,5-diphenyl-2-oxazole-propionic acid, and has the following chemical structure.
Carefully consider the potential benefits and risks of oxaprozin tablets and other treatment options before deciding to use oxaprozin tablets. Use the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration consistent with individual patient treatment goals (see WARNINGS).
Oxaprozin tablets are indicated:
* For relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis
* For relief of the signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
* For relief of the signs and symptoms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
Published Studies Related to Oxaprozin
Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of oxaprozin and naproxen sodium after removal of impacted lower third molars: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover study. [2010.05]
PURPOSE: In this study, oxaprozin, a long-acting nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, and naproxen sodium were compared in terms of their effects on edema, pain, and trismus after surgery for impacted mandibular third molars... CONCLUSIONS: Administration of either oxaprozin or naproxen sodium during the postoperative period is effective and has similar effects in reducing pain but questionable benefit for the management of trismus. However, neither agent has clinical benefit in terms of reducing edema. Crown Copyright 2010. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Reports of Suspected Oxaprozin Side Effects
Sinus Tachycardia (4),
Drug Ineffective (2),
Large Intestinal Obstruction (2),
Medication Error (2),
Abdominal Distension (2), more >>
Page last updated: 2010-10-05