DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Recommended Doses and Schedules
Do not administer as an intravenous push or bolus. Do not mix Herceptin with other drugs
Adjuvant Treatment, Breast Cancer:
Administer according to one of the following doses and schedules for a total of 52 weeks of Herceptin therapy:
During and following paclitaxel, docetaxel, or docetaxel/carboplatin:
- Initial dose of 4mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 90 minutes then at 2 mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 30 minutes weekly during chemotherapy for the first 12 weeks (paclitaxel or docetaxel) or 18 weeks (docetaxel/carboplatin).
- One week following the last weekly dose of Herceptin, administer Herceptin at 6 mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 30‑60 minutes every three weeks.
As a single agent within three weeks following completion of multi‑modality, anthracycline‑based chemotherapy regimens.
- Initial dose at 8 mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 90 minutes
- Subsequent doses at 6 mg/kg as an intravenous infusion over 30‑minutes every three weeks.
Metastatic Treatment, Breast Cancer:
- Administer Herceptin, alone or in combination with paclitaxel, at an initial dose of 4 mg/kg as a 90 minute intravenous infusion followed by subsequent once weekly doses of 2 mg/kg as 30 minute intravenous infusions until disease progression.
[ see Boxed Warning, Warnings and Precautions (5.2) ]
- Decrease the rate of infusion for mild or moderate infusion reactions
- Interrupt the infusion in patients with dyspnea or clinically significant hypotension
- Discontinue Herceptin for severe or life‑threatening infusion reactions
[ see Boxed Warning, Warnings and Precautions (5.1) ].
Assess left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) prior to initiation of Herceptin and at regular intervals during treatment. Withhold Herceptin dosing for at least 4 weeks for either of the following:
- ≥ 16% absolute decrease in LVEF from pre‑treatment values
- LVEF below institutional limits of normal and ≥ 10% absolute decrease in LVEF from pretreatment values.
Herceptin may be resumed if, within 4—8 weeks, the LVEF returns to normal limits and the absolute decrease from baseline is ≤ 15%.
Permanently discontinue Herceptin for a persistent (> 8 weeks) LVEF decline or for suspension of Herceptin dosing on more than 3 occasions for cardiomyopathy.
Preparation for Administration
Reconstitute each 440 mg vial of Herceptin with 20 mL of Bacteriostatic Water for Injection (BWFI), USP, containing 1.1% benzyl alcohol as a preservative to yield a multi‑dose solution containing 21 mg/mL trastuzumab. In patients with known hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol, reconstitute with 20 mL of Sterile Water for Injection (SWFI) without preservative to yield a single use solution.
Use appropriate aseptic technique when performing the following reconstitution steps:
- Using a sterile syringe, slowly inject the 20 mL of diluent into the vial containing the lyophilized cake of Herceptin. The stream of diluent should be directed into the lyophilized cake.
- Swirl the vial gently to aid reconstitution. DO NOT SHAKE.
- Slight foaming of the product may be present upon reconstitution. Allow the vial to stand undisturbed for approximately 5 minutes.
- Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit. Inspect visually for particulates and discoloration. The solution should be free of visible particulates, clear to slightly opalescent and colorless to pale yellow.
- Store reconstituted Herceptin at 2—8° C; discard unused Herceptin after 28 days. If Herceptin is reconstituted with SWFI without preservative, use immediately and discard any unused portion.
- Determine the dose (mg) of Herceptin [ see Dosage and Administration (2.1) ]. Calculate the volume of the 21 mg/mL reconstituted Herceptin solution needed, withdraw this amount from the vial and add it to an infusion bag containing 250 mL of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP.
DO NOT USE DEXTROSE (5%) SOLUTION.
- Gently invert the bag to mix the solution
3 DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS
440 mg lyophilized powder per multi‑use vial.