Results of the phase II EORTC study comparing paclitaxel/cisplatin with teniposide/cisplatin in patients with non-small cell lung cancer. EORTC Lung Cancer Cooperative Group.
Author(s): Postmus PE, Giaccone G, Debruyne C, Sahmoud T, Splinter TA, van Zandwijk N
Affiliation(s): Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Free University Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Publication date & source: 1996-10, Semin Oncol., 23(5 Suppl 12):10-3.
Publication type: Clinical Trial; Clinical Trial, Phase II; Comparative Study; Randomized Controlled Trial
Toxicity and response rates are evaluated in a randomized phase II study comparing paclitaxel (Taxol; Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Princeton, NJ)/cisplatin with teniposide/cisplatin in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer to decide whether this study should continue as a phase III trial. A response was seen in 26% (10 of 38) of the patients receiving teniposide/cisplatin and in 40% (14 of 35) of those receiving paclitaxel/cisplatin. Overall, evidence of toxicity was more severe in the cisplatin/teniposide group, especially with regard to myelotoxicity. Grade 4 neutropenia was seen in 66% of patients receiving teniposide compared with 29% of those treated with paclitaxel/cisplatin. The study is to continue as a phase III trial, with 150 patients expected to participate in each treatment group.