DrugLib.com — Drug Information Portal

Rx drug information, pharmaceutical research, clinical trials, news, and more

Carboplatin and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin for advanced ovarian cancer: preliminary activity results of the MITO-2 phase III trial.

Author(s): Pignata S, Scambia G, Savarese A, Breda E, Sorio R, Pisano C, Lorusso D, Cognetti F, Vernaglia Lombardi A, Gebbia V, Scollo P, Morabito A, Signoriello G, Perrone F

Affiliation(s): Oncologia Medica B, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Naples, Italy. sandro.pignata@fondazionepascale.it

Publication date & source: 2009, Oncology., 76(1):49-54. Epub 2008 Nov 27.

Publication type: Clinical Trial, Phase III

BACKGROUND: Based on the efficacy of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) in relapsed ovarian cancer, we are conducting a phase III study comparing carboplatin plus either paclitaxel or PLD as first-line therapy in advanced ovarian cancer. Because of limited phase I and II data on PLD plus carboplatin in this setting, we conducted an interim activity analysis. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with stage 1c-IV epithelial ovarian cancer were randomized to carboplatin AUC 5 plus either paclitaxel 175 mg/m(2) or PLD 30 mg/m(2) every 3 weeks for 6 cycles. The interim activity analysis was planned according to a single-stage phase II design with an auspicated 50% response rate; 50 patients eligible for response assessment were required. Response was defined according to RECIST (Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors). RESULTS: A complete response was achieved in 14 patients (28%) and a partial response in 20 (40%), which produced an overall response rate of 68%. The activity exceeded the minimum required for study continuation. Stable disease was reported in an additional 10 patients (20%). CONCLUSIONS: The adopted schedule of PLD plus carboplatin demonstrates activity as a first-line treatment for advanced ovarian cancer.

Page last updated: 2009-02-08

-- advertisement -- The American Red Cross
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Site usage policy | Privacy policy

All Rights reserved - Copyright DrugLib.com, 2006-2017